U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
 
Location: el paso tx.
756 posts, read 1,756,050 times
Reputation: 400

Advertisements

posted by: malamute,
That sounds just like kids in El Paso. In every other place, kids are happy when there's a nice sunny day but here it's reversed. Kids love to go out and play in the rain, and act like nothing is better than a rainy day. They sit indoors day after day waiting for the clouds to thicken.


I know my son danced in the rain like he never saw it before!! now he sits around the house saying "do I smell rain?"
just one year ago he was sitting in the house saying "will it ever stop raining?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Brace yourself because when it comes, it really comes. It's almost time for the rains to start, usually June doesn't have rain, the monsoon season often starts around the 4th of July.

Rains here are very nice because almost always the mornings will be perfect, and the clouds build up until evening and then it rains.
Mal, move to Mississippi.. Any where along the coast and then when you say it comes here in El Paso.. you'll be like thats it.. Dude, Mississippi knows Thunderstorms and Rain better than El Paso could ever. Trust me on this.

SouthernBliss, My Kids would dance around in the rain in Mississippi, I would have to yell at them to come in.. I was worried they be one of the 10% that get struck by lightning. Here they play in the man made lake the street becomes when it rains in El Paso.. Unlike Mississippi, El Paso does not know drainage. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
 
Location: el paso tx.
756 posts, read 1,756,050 times
Reputation: 400
SouthernBliss, My Kids would dance around in the rain in Mississippi, I would have to yell at them to come in.. I was worried they be one of the 10% that get struck by lightning. Here they play in the man made lake the street becomes when it rains in El Paso.. Unlike Mississippi, El Paso does not know drainage.


the other night it was lighting up in the sky in my kids loved it man but I did not hear any thunder at all and yes it rains a lot in ms. but it gets old after a while it feels like it will never stop!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
SouthernBliss, My Kids would dance around in the rain in Mississippi, I would have to yell at them to come in.. I was worried they be one of the 10% that get struck by lightning. Here they play in the man made lake the street becomes when it rains in El Paso.. Unlike Mississippi, El Paso does not know drainage.


the other night it was lighting up in the sky in my kids loved it man but I did not hear any thunder at all and yes it rains a lot in ms. but it gets old after a while it feels like it will never stop!!!
El Paso does have some great light shows. Maybe because our view is far more distant? Or the hot desert air and the storms interact more.. I dunno.

Glad to hear your kids are making the best of everything, and are enjoying El Paso, and Fort Bliss/Biggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM
 
114 posts, read 317,578 times
Reputation: 87
Fourth of July hearlds our monsoon season, or at least it used to be that way . Last two decades have seen a change in the weather patterns but if you look at the records since 1879, this is the time for the rains to come and as one of our contributors said watch out because we will see some good storms a coming. About time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2008, 12:45 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
El Paso does have some great light shows. Maybe because our view is far more distant? Or the hot desert air and the storms interact more.. I dunno.

Glad to hear your kids are making the best of everything, and are enjoying El Paso, and Fort Bliss/Biggs.

I think it's the mountains, the way the storm clouds blow in and get hung up on the Franklins.

What's really cool is when it's storming real hard on one side of the mountain and perfectly quiet on the other. You see the flashes of light and hear the pounding thunder as the clouds go smashing up against it.

Also we're almost into the rainbow season. You can have a spectacular sky with big clouds in some parts, blue sky and sun shining through parts of it and the best rainbows anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 01:30 AM
 
722 posts, read 1,785,851 times
Reputation: 537
We had rain on the west side last night, it was a rain/dust combo. my car looks like i went mudding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
It's like it always is toward the end of June now. The clouds are building, they roll through night after night but are just spitting on us for now. The real stuff is right around the corner. I heard it was raining good over by the Gila Wilderness.

What I think it is -- it's really raining but because of the typical dryness of June, the rain evaporates before it hits the ground, cooling off the higher air masses and building the humidity levels. July 4th is typically the start of the rain season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:18 PM
 
246 posts, read 517,182 times
Reputation: 315
some good news if you want some rain. 30 percent chances tonight and tomorrow going to 70 percent tomorrow night. We'll see. Its our best shot at getting some good precipitation. I don't know about you guys but I enjoy listening to the storms and watching the lightning at night time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
some good news if you want some rain. 30 percent chances tonight and tomorrow going to 70 percent tomorrow night. We'll see. Its our best shot at getting some good precipitation. I don't know about you guys but I enjoy listening to the storms and watching the lightning at night time.
QUICK EVERYONE, WASH YOUR CAR! NOW DANG IT NOW.. STOP READING THIS AND WASH.... WASH LIKE THE RAIN DEPENDED ON IT!

posting in blue in hope it will please the rain gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top