U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,668,255 times

Advertisements

Oh Happy Days!

YouTube - Sister Act 2 - Oh Happy Day

We had Rain.. YAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:52 PM

I wanted rain, and boy did I get it.. I have some pictures I am going to upload and post here for you all in a bit.. just so you can see how bad, err how much rain we got.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:25 AM

I got my rain.. 2006, 2007, eat your heart out.. here is 2008, and she aint done yet.. Sorry that these images are rather crude.. I had to get them from film the kids shot, I was not home to get any.. so here is what they got.. sorry again for the poor quality.. but I think you get the idea.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/flood2008.jpg (broken link)

At first glance this does not look so bad.. this house is 3-4 feet up on a raised plot of land.. and the water is in their yard.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/2flood2008.jpg (broken link)

My kid walking on the curb/median.. he is 6 foot tall, if that helps give an idea how deep it is. Note the house behind him on the corner has water up to its door.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/3flood2008.jpg (broken link)

Hey We own a SUV, we can make that.. OH CRAP OH CRAP! WERE FLOATING!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/4flood2008.jpg (broken link)

Do you have a Phone I can use.. yeah I am an idiot.. I tried to drive down your street.. Do you know the number to AAA?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/5flood2008.jpg (broken link)

Well I don't have to worry about that Pee stain any longer.. I think this will wash it out. People They tell you not to cross deep running water.. what the hell are you all thinking?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/6flood2008.jpg (broken link)

Anyone want to come swim in my OOL? Notice there is no "P" in it.. lets keep it that way.

EDIT: I wanted to give you and idea of how high the water is.. here is a picture of the same as the last one.. minus the water.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/6flood2008_comparisson.jpg (broken link)

This wonderful structure is why we have yearly flood damage to our homes here now.. THANK YOU EL PASO city planners, and road construction.. Your boss!

Last edited by Muhnay; 07-09-2008 at 03:11 AM..

Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,669 times
Lots of rain here at biggs also!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:43 PM

246 posts, read 517,426 times
Well this is the third straight day with some good rain. Officially at the airport we have received closed an inch and a half of rain since Monday. Pretty good considering the dry start to the year. Plus the Mountains should turn a little green soon with these rains.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 PM

729 posts, read 1,770,686 times
I am reading the latest ELP Times story and I just had to stop. I am in total shock on the lack of drainage around new neighborhoods. Have not developers or contractors learned from the 2006 Flood? Families with new homes getting flooded out.

Some heads need to roll over this!!! Unbelievable. Perhaps this may not be a shock to current ELP citizens but maybe I am just barely realizing or catching up about this. What a freakn tragedy.

It is hard to grasp the severity of this problem from ATX. Lord hear their cries for help!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM

As bad as I thought I got it.. there were houses out here in North East where the contractors blocked drainage and some houses were under 8 feet of water. Brand new 200K homes ruined because some planner and contractor had no clue.

I lived in Gulfport Mississippi, and we got rain that makes what we got here in 2006 look like a drizzle.. and we never had to deal with that sorta flooding.. City planners and builders should look at these places and see how they did it, and enact a plan similar to theirs. Boise ID also had great drainage.. they used slopes on the side of the road to quickly run water off to drainage pits and that would run off to underground sewer systems... and that in turn would run into filtration systems and then either be set loose in the river, or used to water public spaces.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,669 times
posted by Muhney, As bad as I thought I got it.. there were houses out here in North East where the contractors blocked drainage and some houses were under 8 feet of water. Brand new 200K homes ruined because some planner and contractor had no clue.

We have friends out in the north east and it flooded their homes and yes brand new home!!!! I think they paid 180k for it like and march!!!!!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 PM

246 posts, read 517,426 times
more rain last night! Man I know alot of people are happy that they don't have to water if these monsoon storms continue daily.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:09 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
I am reading the latest ELP Times story and I just had to stop. I am in total shock on the lack of drainage around new neighborhoods. Have not developers or contractors learned from the 2006 Flood? Families with new homes getting flooded out.

Some heads need to roll over this!!! Unbelievable. Perhaps this may not be a shock to current ELP citizens but maybe I am just barely realizing or catching up about this. What a freakn tragedy.

It is hard to grasp the severity of this problem from ATX. Lord hear their cries for help!!!!
Here you can be living in what they call the flood zone and never see a drop of water get anywhere close to the inside of your house and living up on the mountain quite a distance from the river is where the highest risk seems to be.

The way they built homes in the past where they built them to the side of mountain, respected the natural layout of the mountain is the reason most of the older homes don't have a problem. It's when they haul in tons of soft sand to make flat subdivisions, fill in arroyos and all their other cheap tricks is what's causing the problem.

El Paso has a natural drain system -- the arroyos. As long as your house doesn't sit in one of them or downstream from one of the new subdivisions, you don't have problems, unless you are located right near the river and can see the caliche build-up but then you expect flooding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or