U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,859 times

Advertisements

1.Ok so about to make my first big move ever,and my husband and I are going to Ft. Bliss. I'm searching for housing online but there seems to be more places that are looking for people to buy or take over payments, how does this work? is it worth it? we will be there for the next 3 year.

2.Are there areas to stay away from, towns to avoid?

3.Also i have 3 dogs and 1 cat, is there a more pet friendly neighborhood then another?

4.What's the closet neighborhoods to the base?

5. I'm a vet tech, where i live currently, i'm worried that i might not get a job because i don't speak spanish, how bad is it really if your not bi-lingual. And are there any good clinics in the area?

I would love any and all insights...

thanks so much in advance,
sincerely, worried
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:21 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCKS View Post
1.Ok so about to make my first big move ever,and my husband and I are going to Ft. Bliss. I'm searching for housing online but there seems to be more places that are looking for people to buy or take over payments, how does this work? is it worth it? we will be there for the next 3 year.

3.Also i have 3 dogs and 1 cat, is there a more pet friendly neighborhood then another?

5. I'm a vet tech, where i live currently, i'm worried that i might not get a job because i don't speak spanish, how bad is it really if your not bi-lingual. And are there any good clinics in the area?

sincerely, worried
1. You might want to try a property management company, sometimes they mangage rentals for homeowners.

2. As far as parts of town -- it all depends on what you're looking for. No part of town would be necessarily bad to live in but some parts of town feel more American, have people who speak English. Same for the towns outside of El Paso.

3. El Paso is pretty pet friendly as far as dogs and cats most houses have fenced yards, you see pets all over.

4. Fort Bliss is in the NE part of town, and so have some of the more American-feeling neighborhoods. Military families live all over.

5. Vet tech -- you should be able to find a job because the animals won't care that you speak English and most veterinarians speak English. Receptionists would have more trouble. It would depend on how much they would expect you to speak to customers. There are a variety of vets and clinics in the area. Big animal vets also since there are dairy farms and horses including the race track horses here.

You can survive here and not speak English. Some of that depends on how important it is if you know what people around you are saying, or if you can go into a Walmart and hear store announcements and the music being played is all in Spanish and the clerks might count out your change in Spanish. Some neighborhoods are worse for that than others.

Welcome to El Paso. The weather here is great -- at least depending on where you're from.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:26 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
The other thing -- you can really like it here. Or you might be one who does not. Some people can't wait to leave, some military end up returning here to retire. It kind of depends on what kind of things you like, if you get out and enjoy what the region has to offer, and to be very honest, it has a lot when you consider that even though it can be 100 degrees and mostly desert, a two hour drive will have you in the cool pine forests.

There are plenty of weekend trips and things to see and do. Carlsbad Caverns are a trip you won't want to miss, the hiking here is great because almost every day has nice weather. The Franklin Mountains have very nice hiking trails. There are free summer concerts -- Music Under the Stars, and I think a Jazz concert downtown that is also free -- I'm not sure about that one but they did have that.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,670,223 times
Vet tech.. There are plenty of vets here, and thats one place i have not seen much need for Spanish speakers.. Dr. Harwood in the north east El Paso, caters to lots of military, she used to take care of Omar Bradley's cat... she may need a vet tech.. there are plenty of opportunities for vet techs here. Expect less pay though, as this is El Paso.

Stay out of Mexico.. it can get your husband in a whole lot of trouble.. El Paso its self, not many places you cant go.. I avoid the south side at night.. but during the day.. not too bad.

Get on base housing.. there is plenty of it.. then while here look for something off base if you must.

But don't do the take over payment stuff.. also as new military personnel.. avoid the scams and loans and all the stuff these people want to give you.. if its too good to be true it normally is. Lots of soldiers hurt their credit because anyone and everyone loans Soldiers money because they know they will get it back one way or another. So protect yourself.

If you need any more help contact me here, I will DM ( direct message ) you my email and number.. your husband can call me or email for any more info. Welcome to Fort Bliss and El Paso. Don't worry.. it will be a good first post to his enlistment... and the soldiers just got back from Iraq, so there should be no deployments from here for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCKS View Post

sincerely, worried

Old 06-25-2008, 04:15 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,860 times
I live on biggs field and it is ok with gas being so high I would try to stay on post close to the job.
so far everything has been nice there are a lot of people moving in so you will not be alone, we are here for 3 years to(now only 2 1/2 to go)el paso is nice and people are very nice here so far and people on base are ok. but I do like where I live I can get to target in 5min. are the school and 4min. so I like being out here on biggs field.
I do not know anything about the jobs yet have not looked to hard, I am looking for my daughter a summer job and so far no luck.

Good luck with you move and I hope you enjoy you stay in el paso!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso