U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
 
5,402 posts, read 12,202,077 times
Reputation: 5403

Advertisements

I saw this on the AP today, I hear those of you in El Paso speak of the violence in Juarez, but have not heard anything about this recent activity. Are El Pasoans becoming numb to this type of news?

20 people killed in Mexican border city

Jun 25 03:54 PM US/Eastern

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) - Police say 20 people have been killed in less than three days in this crime-ridden border city's latest wave of violence. State police spokesman Cesar Ramirez says a father and son who were killed at their home while sleeping were among the victims. A third victim was a man whose body was cut up in pieces and dumped in an empty lot.
Ramirez says that this year alone more than 500 people have been killed in Ciudad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. The city is home to the powerful Juarez drug cartel and has been among the hardest-hit cities in an explosion of violence across Mexico.
President Felipe Calderon has deployed 25,000 troops across the country to wrest territory from drug gangs, which have fought back with bold attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,681,650 times
Reputation: 1105
But Hey were the Second Safest City in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM
 
Location: el paso tx.
756 posts, read 1,757,871 times
Reputation: 400
one would think 25,000 troops coming down on your ass would slow it down they need a new plan!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,681,650 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
one would think 25,000 troops coming down on your ass would slow it down they need a new plan!!!
Thats across the country.. so like maybe 1000 are here. Laradeo also has some major issues too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Reputation: 22171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I saw this on the AP today, I hear those of you in El Paso speak of the violence in Juarez, but have not heard anything about this recent activity. Are El Pasoans becoming numb to this type of news?

20 people killed in Mexican border city

Jun 25 03:54 PM US/Eastern

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) - Police say 20 people have been killed in less than three days in this crime-ridden border city's latest wave of violence. State police spokesman Cesar Ramirez says a father and son who were killed at their home while sleeping were among the victims. A third victim was a man whose body was cut up in pieces and dumped in an empty lot.
Ramirez says that this year alone more than 500 people have been killed in Ciudad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. The city is home to the powerful Juarez drug cartel and has been among the hardest-hit cities in an explosion of violence across Mexico.
President Felipe Calderon has deployed 25,000 troops across the country to wrest territory from drug gangs, which have fought back with bold attacks.

Numb -- except most people here I don't think really care. In the workplace for example, people will talk about gas prices but no one talks about the violence in Juarez, no more than they talked about the women being murdered.

I did hear some women talking about getting some of the text message warnings but they didn't seem very bothered by any of it. Probably a lot of people here don't pay much attention to news. They read or hear El Paso is a safe city and really don't think much about Juarez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Reputation: 22171
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
one would think 25,000 troops coming down on your ass would slow it down they need a new plan!!!
Maybe that is the plan. I don't think we really get much news or reporting about what is going on over there, who is being killed. I did see something that many of those being killed are not originally from Juarez.

I don't think we know who is doing the killing, who is being killed. In the article today it said home burglaries are down in Juarez, maybe they're killing the ones who they think cause too many problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 07:39 AM
 
5,402 posts, read 12,202,077 times
Reputation: 5403
I also heard that a relative of Sylvestre Reyes was kidnapped in Juarez over the weekend as well, then later let go because of Sylvestre's contacts.

Why doesn't he (Sylvestre) do this for every person who gets kidnapped there? I hear there are many kidnappings and no one ever hears from them again, forgotten.

Of course, I'm being sarcastic. 'Just bothers me that justice is not equal here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,681,650 times
Reputation: 1105
Mal, I think most dont worry about it, because they feel safe, because there is a wall between us.. one is Mexico, and the other is El Paso.. now had any of that happened in El Paso.. trust me they would be running scared around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: el paso texas
2,625 posts, read 10,058,866 times
Reputation: 1848
To be honest, i dont worry, if you arent involved in the drug trade, why worry, those are all strategic hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,681,650 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
To be honest, i dont worry, if you arent involved in the drug trade, why worry, those are all strategic hits.
Because these fools are not making strategic hits, they are having OK Corral gun fights in the streets, killing innocents. Kidnapping innocents and so on and so forth.. So if your gonna be over there, you need to worry. It has bled into El Paso recently too. Some of these local gangs run drugs for these cartels, and they are starting to fight and kill one another over who controls the local market... and that bleeds into our schools and more innocents get in harms way.

Did you read where they are tossing grenades at one another.. thats not a strategic weapon thats an area of effect weapon, so really man... lets not give anyone a false sense of security here. People need to worry.. problem is everyone thinks there is this invisible wall that protects us.. because thats Mexico.. and this is the USA.. and because most people think.. nothing will happen to me.. I'm not in the drug trade, or I don't know these people.. and then wham your dead because you happened to be standing outside watering your yard when these fools do a drive by on some house because the little punk inside belongs to gang X.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top