U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
Your experiences as USA cop may not be the same in Mexico. Theres nothing interesting to discuss with people like you; I better focus in help with the truth to the girl that start the thread.
You think because I am standing on this side of the Rio Grand I am not effected by what takes place in Mexico? You think I wont have a clue of what is going on because I am an American?

I grew up in El Paso, and partied in Ja'Zoo. I had cops take my money and my shoes.. I had a friend get held for ransom by the police over there.. so your right my experiences as a USA cop, is so much different than that of a Juarez cop... for one I was out to serve and protect, not be a crook with a badge.

Someone else posted this here first.. but I thought it should be here as well..

Mexican Town's Residents See No End To Violence : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,143,654 times
I had a friend too that was held while his buddy had to make a trip to the ATM to get some money for the cops.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,701,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

I grew up in El Paso, and partied in Ja'Zoo. I had cops take my money and my shoes.. I had a friend get held for ransom by the police over there.. so your right my experiences as a USA cop, is so much different than that of a Juarez cop... for one I was out to serve and protect, not be a crook with a badge.

Mexican Town's Residents See No End To Violence : NPR

That never happened to me, but then again I never got so wasted that I was obnoxious, arrogant, or aggressive. Usually if you look for trouble it will find you. Although I am not saying that you specifically engaged in such activities, regardless the police in Mexico are corrupt to the bone

Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
That never happened to me, but then again I never got so wasted that I was obnoxious, arrogant, or aggressive. Usually if you look for trouble it will find you. Although I am not saying that you specifically engaged in such activities, regardless the police in Mexico are corrupt to the bone
I dont have to be wasted to be obnoxious, arrogant, or aggressive.. LOL.

I look for trouble, it was my job. Sorta still is.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
Lastly, answer this question to yourself, if you could live anywhere in the world, would it be Juarez? Chances are the answer is no. Ask yourself why that is. Don't help lead this woman to Juarez under false pretense.

Regards[/quote]

my answer is... of course i would live in juarez! ....juarez is a cool city, nice people, you have more places to go!!!more restaurants, more movie theaters, seriously you would only need el paso for shopping!! and to visit your friends or family!!..haha....... and don't be so closed man......
you need to explore and enjoy new cities, new environments, you should come to j-town one of these days so that you can see that juarez is not all bad news!!! and so that you can shut your mouth...well or cut your fingers in this case
Man!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,177,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sercho View Post
......you need to explore and enjoy new cities, new environments, you should come to j-town one of these days so that you can see that juarez is not all bad news!!!
I appreciate your encouragement, sercho; however, I grew up in El Paso and visited Juarez regularly, at least every other week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sercho View Post

... and so that you can shut your mouth...well or cut your fingers in this case

Man!!!
I need not say anything on that. This only lends credence to what is being said here.

Regards

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 07-04-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
well i don't know what juarez is like now but i lived there with my husband for about 5 months in 2003 and to me it wasn't that bad. we didn't have any problems. just do what you have to do and people pretty much leave you alone. He has family there in juarez too so they kind of helped us with things we didn't know. but after a few weeks i was able to drive around the city with no problems and even thou i didn't speak any spanish i learned to speak a few words and read it. Only because my husband taught me he speaks both spanish and english. But in my opinion and with my experience living there it wasn't bad....but now i wouldn't really know with all the violence going on down there or with what i've heard on the news.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I had a car accident over there once, some of the police were very helpful. More than helpful actually, some went out of their way. Even the Judiciales aren't all bad guys.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Antgar, though Muhnay's comments were very blunt, please don't just discard them. You should at least try to empathize to what we (on the other side) see and hear about Juarez. It is not pretty.

Just as JFE has mentioned, sure you can go about your business in Juarez, but even JFE is cautious. Are you not cautious?

Let's say I was walking down the main boulevad in Juarez and there were two gangs shooting at each other. If I close my eyes, and pretend they are not there and exit safely, does that mean that Juarez is safe, and because nothing happened to me, I can say nothing will happen to anyone else? Of course that is silly, but do you get my point?

To deny that Juarez is not dangerous is dishonest. Don't let pride get in your way, if Juarez is unsafe, say so. If it's safe in your neighboorhood, then say that it is, and don't insinuate Juarez is safe.

450+ murders that we know of in six months? 300+ women murdered with no suspects? 30-40 murders in one weekend? How can you tell the OP not to listen to the others who post this information? Even you know these facts. As Pope John Paul said when asked what he thought about the portrayal of Jews in the movie 'The Passion of the Christ'.... he said "It is what it is". And so is crime in Juarez.

Lastly, answer this question to yourself, if you could live anywhere in the world, would it be Juarez? Chances are the answer is no. Ask yourself why that is. Don't help lead this woman to Juarez under false pretense.

Regards
If you visit the Detroit forum, and Detroit is seen as the USA city very much similar to Juarez, you see people who live there and defend it, like it. Home sweet home to some.

I've known people who chose not to leave bad neighborhoods even though they could.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2move View Post
I am an African American female and my boyfriend is Mexican and we are moving to Juarez next week. While I am waiting for my boyfriend's immigration appointment (renewing an expired visa), I have decided to find work in El Paso. I dont speak any Spanish (understand a little). (Bachelors degree in Socioloy and Laboratory experience). Does anybody know what the job market is like for someone like me.

Also, does anyone have info. on public transportation. I dont have a car.

You should be able to find work in a hospital in El Paso, especially if you have lab experience.

I would think it would be better for you to live in El Paso. Don't move to Juarez sight unseen for sure, at least know what you'd be getting into. Be very careful what part of town you're considering. You can visit in the day time or weekends but things aren't great over there, police are being killed right and left, and protesting something, and leaving in droves. That means little real police protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso