U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 AM

200 posts, read 516,575 times

Advertisements

The last time I visited Juarez was for my sister's class graduation party which was held at the Campestre (Country Club area of Juarez) back in 2001. There was a nasty stench in the parking lot. A couple days later Juarez police dogs were brought out to the lot to trace the stench & it led to the trunk of a car which contained one or two dead bodies...doctors I think they were. Needless to say I haven't gone back since, nor my parents. And my grandfather grew up there & we all speak Spanish.

If you move to El Paso, fine, but stay out of Juarez. If your b.friend really loves you he will visit you while you stay in EP.

If you absolutely HAVE to go Juarez w/him, only go for short visits, accompanied by your boyfriend (& the bullet proof vest is a good idea) during the day. However, I'd STRONGLY discourage it.

It might be one thing for your boyfriend who's from there, but it's quite another for someone who's totally unfamiliar w/it, the culture, & the language. Notwithstanding, crime. Like others have said, your best bet w/a liberal arts degree, is pursuing a teaching license & subbing until you can attain a full-time position. Which is totally doable in EP, but beware of a pay cut.

El Pasoans rely on personal transportation to get around. We don't have a subway system, however we do have a bus system, though may be more trouble than it's worth. Don't know about your financial situation, but is it possible for you to invest in an affordable vehicle? You may want to consider that.

Best of Luck!

Last edited by anelizk; 07-19-2008 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Grammatical Errors
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,050 times
May I ask is there anywhere safe to go in Juarez in the daytime? I have yet to go and I want to but everyone keeps saying no.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
Being a military spouse, you can get your husband in all sorts of trouble going over there. I would advise against it.. it is on the Fort Bliss/Bigg Black List of places to visit. Heck its even a stage above that. There was an Order by the Post Commander to give the highest UCMJ action they can for any soldier or family member who puts themselves at risk by going to Juarez. The reason is, a family member can be captured, and used as a bargaining chip to get the soldier to betray his moral standards. SO really dont go.. even though your a civilian, your Husband still has to answer for your actions.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,050 times
Thanks for the info.... I just hope I will get to go before we leave el paso,it would be a shame to be here and never get to visit mexico.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,580,811 times
Good grief, woman. There are better places to visit in Mexico than Juarez!

Old 09-14-2008, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,432 times
Default I am also thinking about moving to Juarez.

I am also thinking about moving to Juarez.
While I was stationed at Fort Bliss I went there many times.
I have been to WORST places while serving over seas IN THE U.S. ARMY!!!
I am a FIRM believer that "if it is your time to go then it is your time to go" many times it was proven during war many many times.

You could be driving from your house to the gas station to buy milk and DIE half way in a car accident on a 1 mile trip. Or you could be in a 2 hour shoot out in IRAQ and have 500 bullets go by you and still live, if it is your time to go then it is your time to go!

I have never lived there but I hear a lot of people talking bad about with out being informed properly.
If the case was as simple as; there is danger in Juarez don't go then let me remind you that there is also danger in L.A., Detroit, Compton, St. Louis, Mo.... the list continues.

I got out the Army this past June and made El Paso home even though I am originally from a small town in east Texas.
I do know Spanish and I have lived in Mexico before.
As for you not knowing spanish that will be a tough one, I am not going to be the one to sugar coat it. But mexicans (like myself) are humans just like the NON-MEXICAN cop from El Paso. We want the same things in life. We can be just as friendly as ANY other american neighbor you might have in AMERICAN neighborhood. Dont be discouraged by all the negative people in the world.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:25 PM

38 posts, read 85,265 times
I lived in Juarez for 15 years and I remember it fondly because I grew up there and had (and still have) good friends there. I had great experiences and never got randomly stopped or shot or mugged. HOWEVER, that being said, things have changed since I lived there (haven't lived there since 2001). It used to be relatively safe and people would go about their business without much fear. I remember my mom used to let me walk to the corner store by myself.

However, nowadays even my parents refuse to go there unless it's absolutely necessary. It's not that you will get shot at in every corner (things tend to get exaggerated a little bit), but it's NOT a safe place to live right now. I have friends and family there who are friendly and happy and alive, and who live their life just like you and me, going to work and school everyday. But the truth is they take precautions most of us on this side don't. Their houses are surrounded by bars and anti-theft devices. They probably don't go out to clubs and bars at night anymore. They roll up their windows while driving. Etcetera, etcetera. People who live there are used to it by now so they will tell you it's not too bad, but once you've lived in a safer place where you don't need to have bars on your windows and you don't have to be more careful at night, you wonder how you ever lived there.

Besides the insecurity factor, the lines on the international bridges are not something you'd like to endure everyday. After 9/11 the wait time has increased, and it's normal to spend 1-2 hours in it everyday, assuming there are no warnings or bomb threats which will cause you to be stuck there for 3+ hours.

I would wait until your bf/husband gets his visa, and THEN you guys can get married, you can petition for him to become a permanent resident so he can live in the US with you. Doing things right is worth the wait.

OR, like Cobolt said, if you really want to live in Mexico and get to experience a different country, there are much better places to live than Juarez.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:57 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub4chaser View Post
I am also thinking about moving to Juarez.
While I was stationed at Fort Bliss I went there many times.
I have been to WORST places while serving over seas IN THE U.S. ARMY!!!
I am a FIRM believer that "if it is your time to go then it is your time to go" many times it was proven during war many many times.

You could be driving from your house to the gas station to buy milk and DIE half way in a car accident on a 1 mile trip. Or you could be in a 2 hour shoot out in IRAQ and have 500 bullets go by you and still live, if it is your time to go then it is your time to go!

I have never lived there but I hear a lot of people talking bad about with out being informed properly.
If the case was as simple as; there is danger in Juarez don't go then let me remind you that there is also danger in L.A., Detroit, Compton, St. Louis, Mo.... the list continues.

I got out the Army this past June and made El Paso home even though I am originally from a small town in east Texas.
I do know Spanish and I have lived in Mexico before.
As for you not knowing spanish that will be a tough one, I am not going to be the one to sugar coat it. But mexicans (like myself) are humans just like the NON-MEXICAN cop from El Paso. We want the same things in life. We can be just as friendly as ANY other american neighbor you might have in AMERICAN neighborhood. Dont be discouraged by all the negative people in the world.
I understand why the OP would want to live in Juarez and work in El Paso since her husband has to live in Juarez but as an American she probably could not work in Juarez -- but why would others want to do so?

Is it to evade the high property taxes in El Paso but still have all the benefits from them? That doesn't seem fair to the people of El Paso. Why not just live in Juarez and work in Juarez? Or work in El Paso, live in El Paso and contribute to the expenses of El Paso?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 AM

135 posts, read 195,020 times
I come to juarez daily for work, and sometimes come on the weekend or at night. You take precautions and learn the areas, roads etc. Never go "exporing", never go by yourself to areas you don't know, stay on the main roads as much as possible, don't show that you have money, stay away from the antros or other places that are or could be tied to the narcos. This garauntees nothing, but helps you keep your nose clean. There are a lot of good people here, but there are also a lot of bad people, along with poor enforcement of laws or any kind of personal rights.

If you'll be living here, you DO want to learn Spanish Think about El Paso. Don't all the people working there that don't have a clue what you're saying when you ask them a question in ENGLISH in the UNITED STATES **** you off? Well the same thing should apply to a person living in MEXICO (aka if you're going to be in the country, then learn and use the language).

The biggest thing I guess is don't be naive or dishonest and say it's safe... it's not. It is by far worse than any US city. It's probably most comparable to living in Detroit (the city not the burbs) with a much higher level of coruption across the board and limited personal rights that you're used to enjoying in the US, along with an increase in murders/kidnappings/etc.

And the person that said out of anywhere in the world he'd still choose to live in Juarez... lol....just, lol. There are a ton better places in Mexico than Juarez if you didn't want to leave the country. Tons of better places in the world if you did. Juarez even has it's own very negative image in the rest of Mexico. Anymore if you say you're from Juarez it's worse than saying you're from Sin Aloa (spelling mistake?). If it was even average, we wouldn't spend nearly as much money on border patrol trying to keep the flood out. I'm all for being positive, but also be realistic.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,518 times
UNBELIEVABLE---I'm sorry, but I cannot believe that you either do not suffer from a unipolar psychosis or simply have NO comon sense. This can't be for real...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso