U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 AM

40 posts, read 81,871 times

Advertisements

I used to love to visit Juarez but now I don't think it's that safe. A drug shootout can happen anywhere there these days. You could be at S-Mart and get shot or in a park and get shot. I know it can happen here in America but Jaurez sounds like it has become Iraq. I would advise the thread starter to get a place in EP and if you must go to Juarez to see your BF. Visit him on weekends during daylight hours and get back over to the USA before sundown on Sat and Sun. Seeing each other on the weekends will have to do. Juarez has always been bad for women but the news these days make Juarez seem totally out of control.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,605,638 times
Quite frankly, while it would NOT be good for Americans to go live there right now. There's even a troop surge going on for the border b/c of all the violence.

Behind the Troop Surge at the U.S.-Mexico Border - TIME

Quote:
The Rio Grande "surge" comes amid a growing wave of drug-related bloodshed across Mexico that has visited some of its worst violence on Juarez. The sprawling industrial border city of 1.6 million became Mexico's murder capital in 2008, with more than 1,600 drug related killings, and this year's toll looks set to be even higher, with 250 killings in February alone.
You can protest its safety all you want, get mad, call names, etc., but the figures, violence and dead bodies don't lie. Emphasis mine in the above quote.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,104 times
Hey, its been a year since you've put this on here. I am in the same situation that you are in and I want to know if you are still there and how things are going. I am african american, I am seeking a job in el paso and I speak very little spanish.
Mocha

Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,963,403 times
The forums at smf.juarez-mexico.com have info about living in Juarez.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 AM

6 posts, read 20,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
May I ask is there anywhere safe to go in Juarez in the daytime? I have yet to go and I want to but everyone keeps saying no.

I would not recommend going to Juarez unless you know exactly where you are going, and look like you know what you are doing. Having said that, I go once or twice a month, generally Sunday. The area around the Cathedral and the markets always has a great feel on Sunday, and I have never seen anything happen there. It would be irresponsible to say its "safe" - no place truly is anywhere - but its generally calm, relaxed, and free of trouble in my experience. Its a little better now (which is not saying much) than it was a few months ago.

The real danger in Juarez is not so much getting hit by the cartels, they almost always target very specific people. It is the "amateur" crime that exploded when the police force basically collapsed last year, and ordinary criminals (including a flood of people from other places) took advantage of the lawlessness. Now with soliders, the amateurs seem to be diminishing for now (the petty criminals literally clogged the highways out of town to leave back in March).

Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 AM

17 posts, read 21,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2move View Post
I am an African American female and my boyfriend is Mexican and we are moving to Juarez next week. While I am waiting for my boyfriend's immigration appointment (renewing an expired visa), I have decided to find work in El Paso. I dont speak any Spanish (understand a little). (Bachelors degree in Socioloy and Laboratory experience). Does anybody know what the job market is like for someone like me.

Also, does anyone have info. on public transportation. I dont have a car.
Oy. I think "you have to know the territory" first. You'd better research everything first. El Paso unlike any other place... and I'm worried about your living in Juarez.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:49 AM

17 posts, read 21,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I am sorry. I hope you survive living in Ja'zoo. Guess Love can make people do the dumbest things.

Public Transportation here sucks bad. Living in Juarez and no Spanish.. your gluten for punishment.

I am sure you'll find something here in that field.. expect less pay here than you would in the rest of the country. I would suggest you live in El Paso, and have him make visits.. in my opinion your making a big mistake.. but its your life, and the best lessons are ones learned from mistakes. That is if you live though the mistake to learn something. So good luck to you.. buy a bullet proof vest.. Juarez is a very dangerous place right now.. even more so if your boyfriend is cartel connected. Lot of chances your taking for just a boyfriend..
Perfect reply. I could not find those words.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,126,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiralee74 View Post
Perfect reply. I could not find those words.
LOL. Are you quoting yourself? Suspicions suspicions.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,274 times
Juarez is a great city with great people. But most people are right about it being not safe right now. Not speaking eglish is really not that big of a deal, alot of people over there speak english. I only speak english and I work over there. God speed for the good people of Juarez!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 4,223 times
me, my mom and my dad livid in juarez like that and trust me,, you will be very happy,,, my dad earned something like 10 dollars an hour and we lived in a not so big house ( we didnt need one) but we lived with alot of extra money,,, rent over there is like 150 dollars for a nice house,,, its less than $10 for water, bout $15 for gas, electric is $15 and if you get cable its like $20 a month,, you will have a great time living there and working in el paso,, you would be like upper class there ( keep in mind that some of the poorest families take home like $7 dollars a week, so the cost of living there has to be low),, ur just gonna have a hard time with people insulting you for you skin color and disrespecting you,,, hey but **** what they say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso