Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:59 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times

Advertisements

As a former server I'll say:

Best Tippers:
- Other hospitality workers
- White middle aged men at the restaurant by themselves
- black people who are aware of the stereotype that blacks don't tip and try to make up for it
- college students and people in their 20s (especially if they have a date they want to impress)
- homosexuals
- tourists from another state
- girls that you can flirt with (for a waiter)

Worst tippers:
- ghetto black people
- white trash
- Mexican immigrants
- tourists from anywhere outside the U.S.
- businesswomen at lunch (can you say frugal)
- people after church (not Christians as a whole, just alot of the ones that pour into restaurants after church)
- anyone that makes a show of wealth or has very nice things (probably in debt to their eyeballs, not wealthy)

Everyone one else falls into the average category.

Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason in the restaurant business and before any of you politically correct people jump me, all these are based on my observations from countless tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 309,339 times
On my recent trip to Spain I had this conversation with a bartender and he told me that he and other restaurant employees had no incentive to go overboard with their service because they were on a salary. They were just doing their job. Their income did not depend on tips. He was a very good bartender and even gave me some free drinks. I insisted on giving him a very good tip and he would not accept it. By the way, my insisting on giving him the tip is what triggered the conversation.
When I'm in Europe or Asia, I feel bad not leaving a tip, so I always do. Minimum 20%.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:15 PM

730 posts, read 1,895,048 times
I've received pretty bad service here...even the manager trying to make things right managed to F things up at one restaurant. I usually double the tax and add a little more. I think I average 20% most of the time.

I had a friend who left a tip proportional to the service and actually had the server follow him out of the restaurant to complain that he didn't leave enough. I don't know...any server ever did that to me and I don't know what I'd say in return.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasvzqz View Post
On my recent trip to Spain I had this conversation with a bartender and he told me that he and other restaurant employees had no incentive to go overboard with their service because they were on a salary. They were just doing their job. Their income did not depend on tips. He was a very good bartender and even gave me some free drinks. I insisted on giving him a very good tip and he would not accept it. By the way, my insisting on giving him the tip is what triggered the conversation.
When I'm in Europe or Asia, I feel bad not leaving a tip, so I always do. Minimum 20%.
In Europe they include a service charge automatically. It's not much, but it's there. It's changing though, they still don't expect tips, and people don't leave big tips, but they leave a little change, probably because they don't want the coins.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
15% For average service
20% For good service
over 20% For exceptional service.

In my 20 years of being a server,
the BEST tippers have always been white middle age business men, other servers or bartenders, strippers, gay men, hair stylist and college students;
the WORST tippers are Black ghetto thugs and their "posse" and hoochie girlfriends, Dykey Lesbians, Old folks over 70, Mexicans in general, Sunday "after church" crowd, nurses and white trash.

Every other group kinda falls in the "average" category.

My statement to all the "BAD" tippers is, you know that a tip is 15-20 percent, its as common knowledge as it is rude to fart in public, so why do you leave a crappy tip or "NO" tip at all? If you cant afford the extra few dollars to show some gratitude, then try hitting the dollar menu at Micky D's or Burger King. That way you can save the money you obviously DON'T have.
And if you think that when you leave a bad tip it really bothers us??? HAHAHAHA, Dont kid yourself.....It only makes you look like a CHEAP LOSER.

THANKS

JAKE
Those are pretty much how it is -- with some exceptions of course. Older people tend to tip "carefully" but are usually careful to at least leave a tip. When I worked in a restaurant there was this group that would come that you could think was white trash, they dressed like hicks and they were rural farmers but they were great tippers, very generous.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,296 times
Ever since my daughter was a server I am conscious of leaving a fair tip. Generally 15-20% for good service. My husband would leave less every time if he were in charge of the bill!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
I was just wondering if any of you have worked as bartenders,waiters,waitreses and if you have any stories on who tips the best and the worst
I've been a waitress forever and black ghetto people are the rudest worst tippers ive ever had
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: