U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:49 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,042,554 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if any of you have worked as bartenders,waiters,waitreses and if you have any stories on who tips the best and the worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,668,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
I was just wondering if any of you have worked as bartenders,waiters,waitreses and if you have any stories on who tips the best and the worst
My wife has worked in many tipping business.. she says Germans are the best tippers.

I owned a bar with my mother for a time, and I worked the bar.. I always did ok with tips.. so I think it maybe more about the attitude of the waitress and the attention they bring to the table.

I have left notes ( TIPS ), telling a waitress why she got no monetary tip.. and have even complained to the manager about some. I am a good tipper, I always tip 15% when the person deserves it.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 PM

254 posts, read 699,422 times
I always tip atleast 15% as well if the person deserves it,,,especially in El Paso since most are just not customer-oriented. There was a waitress who worked in Jaxon's at Remcon and she's always nice (like she really liked what she was doing) and made sure that we got everything that we ordered and even arranged for us to take home our drinks (extra service,,,haven't come across that in El Paso) so we gave her a 20% tip. I guess it just astounds you when you go to a place and they're actually customer-oriented since you hardly come across that in El Paso.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,185,351 times
I always tip 20%, usually 10% if the service was bad. I never leave just nothing as I know these people pool the money and share it. When service is really exceptional, I will leave 20%+ in cash so the one person keeps it.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 PM

15 posts, read 40,430 times
20% should be the norm for tipping these days.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM

3,081 posts, read 6,604,621 times
15% For average service
20% For good service
over 20% For exceptional service.

In my 20 years of being a server,
the BEST tippers have always been white middle age business men, other servers or bartenders, strippers, gay men, hair stylist and college students;
the WORST tippers are Black ghetto thugs and their "posse" and hoochie girlfriends, Dykey Lesbians, Old folks over 70, Mexicans in general, Sunday "after church" crowd, nurses and white trash.

Every other group kinda falls in the "average" category.

My statement to all the "BAD" tippers is, you know that a tip is 15-20 percent, its as common knowledge as it is rude to fart in public, so why do you leave a crappy tip or "NO" tip at all? If you cant afford the extra few dollars to show some gratitude, then try hitting the dollar menu at Micky D's or Burger King. That way you can save the money you obviously DON'T have.
And if you think that when you leave a bad tip it really bothers us??? HAHAHAHA, Dont kid yourself.....It only makes you look like a CHEAP LOSER.

THANKS

JAKE

Old 07-05-2008, 05:52 AM

200 posts, read 516,845 times
Tipping. America truly is the best country in the world, try waitressing in Southeast Asia where no one tips.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,185,351 times
As a rule, most Europeans don't tip either, at least in their respective countries. We go about every 9 months to Europe, so I've seen how they live. Those that do usually leave money leave the coins, and a few actually have begun to learn to tip.

However, just about any restaurant adds a service fee to your bill, that is how they earn "tip" money. Also, if they place bread on your table, you don't have to eat it, and you won't be charged, but if you do, BAM, another fee. Peanuts, chips, the same thing. We take it for granted in the US when we get those freebies. Free refills on anything, forget it.

But for Europeans to leave any percentage of the bill as gratuity is just not done. That is why they LOVE American tourists, despite they may not like our politics, they love that we tip. One factor may be that many American's don't know about the service fee that shows up on the bill.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 07-05-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 AM

200 posts, read 516,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
As a rule, most Europeans don't tip either, at least in their respective countries. We go about every 9 months to Europe, so I've seen how they live. Those that do usually leave money leave the coins, and a few actually have begun to learn to tip.

However, just about any restaurant adds a service fee to your bill, that is how they earn "tip" money. Also, if they place bread on your table, you don't have to eat it, and you won't be charged, but if you do, BAM, another fee. Peanuts, chips, the same thing. We take it for granted in the US when we get those freebies. Free refills on anything, forget it.

But for Europeans to leave any percentage of the bill as gratuity is just not done. That is why they LOVE American tourists, despite they may not like our politics, they love that we tip. One factor may be that many American's don't know about the service fee that shows up on the bill.

Yes, my point exactly, w/o me going into the explanation of the service charge & freebies. That's why I don't usually tip here, though even still, the services industry personnel in our country have it better than they would where I am, so sometimes I do tip out of guilt.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,042,554 times
when I was waiting tables the worst tippers were the fronchies or should I say no tippers if I was lucky they left the change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or