U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,712,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
Seriously, Our metropolitan area has 2.3 million people including Juarez. Our city is way bigger than Oklahoma city. Why don't we have some kind of Major League team like MBA, NFL or something? I know for certain that El Paso can support at least an MLS team.
What is wrong with this city (other than our "small town" attitude) that we cant get any attractions that arent as sad as Western playland (which isnt even in el paso anymore)?
Well I just went to see the Houton Dynamo this last saturday and I thought the ticket pricess where not that cheap. 20 bucks is the lowest priced tickets and that is sitting behind one of the goal post. This seems ridiculus especially since right now they play at Robertson stadium in the Univeristy of Houston campus, this stadium is small and kind of old. I can't see people in EP paying 20 minimum per person week in and week out.

I see a family of 4 paying easaly 150 dollars if you incude some minimum food items from the concesion stands (e.g. 7 dollar beers). I don't think even MLS would consider EP anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 PM

246 posts, read 518,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Well I just went to see the Houton Dynamo this last saturday and I thought the ticket pricess where not that cheap. 20 bucks is the lowest priced tickets and that is sitting behind one of the goal post. This seems ridiculus especially since right now they play at Robertson stadium in the Univeristy of Houston campus, this stadium is small and kind of old. I can't see people in EP paying 20 minimum per person week in and week out.

I see a family of 4 paying easaly 150 dollars if you incude some minimum food items from the concesion stands (e.g. 7 dollar beers). I don't think even MLS would consider EP anytime soon.
Well there are plans for a new 14,000 seat soccer stadium at Ascarate. Wikipedia also mentions that the new stadium would help lure an MLS team to El Paso. The Quality of pro sports needs to improve in this city as I stated in another thread. It should start with the El Paso Diablos and getting their double A status back. Cohen Stadium is suited for double A baseball not independent.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 PM

195 posts, read 570,778 times
I'm not a fan of MLS, however a pro sports team is needed in El Paso so it would be cool if they could lure an MLS team to EP.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,180,940 times
who knows maybe a MLS team would do good in El Paso with the help from Juarez, Im sure it would be popular but the ticket prices would hurt and make it an occasional thing for most.

I noticed a soccer stadium in Juarez kinda by that huge Mexican flag that you can see from the highway, Is that used for some sort of pro soccer in Mexico?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:23 AM

13,140 posts, read 36,057,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
Well there are plans for a new 14,000 seat soccer stadium at Ascarate. Wikipedia also mentions that the new stadium would help lure an MLS team to El Paso.
Although that would be nice if it happened i wouldn't faith into what Wikipedia say's. I'd see what the City/County councils are saying and i haven't heard anything from them. They would probably need a bond issue approved by voters for it to happened and taxpayers are not happy campers these days there.

Just read in the Jacksonvillr newspaper that the owner (Wayne Weaver) of the NFL Jaquars team therre is selling the team and possibly moving from Jacksonville as they pushed that HUGE bond issue in 1994 to build the 80,000 seat Altel statdium which could sit empty now.....

Old 04-16-2009, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 13,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmac500 View Post
Texas already has 3 NBA teams. If the NBA wanted Texas to have another team, Austin would be the logical choice, but then being so close to Spurs country would be overkill. Now it could be argued that since El Paso is so far away from the rest of Texas, it should be a logical fit. In reality Albuquerque would be a better choice because of it central location and the ability to bring in fans from El Paso and Santa Fe.

The two main reason Oklahoma City was chosen was one; they were a proven market showing tremendous support for the displaced Hornets team out of NO. Second, they lobbied and presented the best package to the NBA. El Paso wasn't in the running because they never pursued the sonics in the first place, and had they there is no way we would have beat out Oklahoma City.

Also remember there are several large market cities that don't have an NBA team, just to name a few, Kansas City, St Louis, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.

Be happy, I would rather be in El Paso without an NBA team than in Oklahoma City with one.

Besides, the Miners and the Sun Bowl have more significance and history than a transitory thug riddled NBA team.
I live in a suburb of Cin/Day and there is NO WAY that Cincy could support that. The bengals and the reds are tremendously losing fan support, the bengals even have they're own fan-based management-bashing website

Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,329,992 times
You're all talking in generalizations and using this thread to complain about what you don't like about El Paso. You use this to vent.

The Thread's question is why did OKC get the Sonics/Thunder and not El Paso?

The simple answer is an extremely wealthy group had been up in Seattle making offers, in the event that Seattle wasn't going to build the Sonics a new theater. Had those same people been from any of a number of cities- Tampa - Jacksonville-San Diego etc those cities would have had a team.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:24 AM

729 posts, read 1,774,411 times
I went to see the Spurs play the Mavs last night in San Antonio. I met people from all over the area...Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Austin, Houston. There is alot of money pumped into this event.

HISTORICALLY: There in not enough incentives provided by the city leaders (for the past 50 years) to lure a pro team in the area. The people of EL Paso do not have enough interest to last a whole season. Tickets sales would drop by each game.

El Paso, oh how I love thee, is unfortunately geographically challenged. Not too many other big cities around for folks to drive in for a game. The staduim would have to be located near an entertainment district for after-the-game-festivities.

ELP is not ready for a pro team because of my points mentioned above.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM

4,570 posts, read 6,397,381 times
El Paso needs to get rid of that dump you call an arena, and build a new one.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 AM

246 posts, read 518,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
El Paso needs to get rid of that dump you call an arena, and build a new one.
Well the Downtown Revitalization Plan calls for a new one to be built downtown in the near future. So you may get your wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or