U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM

507 posts, read 1,410,461 times

Advertisements

Seriously, Our metropolitan area has 2.3 million people including Juarez. Our city is way bigger than Oklahoma city. Why don't we have some kind of Major League team like MBA, NFL or something? I know for certain that El Paso can support at least an MLS team.
What is wrong with this city (other than our "small town" attitude) that we cant get any attractions that arent as sad as Western playland (which isnt even in el paso anymore)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
Seriously, Our metropolitan area has 2.3 million people including Juarez. Our city is way bigger than Oklahoma city. Why don't we have some kind of Major League team like MBA, NFL or something? I know for certain that El Paso can support at least an MLS team.
What is wrong with this city (other than our "small town" attitude) that we cant get any attractions that arent as sad as Western playland (which isnt even in el paso anymore)?
What is my name? That is why.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,972,978 times
As much as i care for El Paso we don't deserve one as we have no NFL Stadium or NBA Arena. Also OKC is a class act as a city and deserves the team.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:22 AM

415 posts, read 368,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
If you add in Juarez, then add in Tulsa for OKC. There is more disposable income in Oklahoma City than in El Paso, too. It isn't all about metro numbers.

Still, the NBA is not smart for moving out of a market like Seattle.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,179,859 times
Default I'll tell you why...

El Paso does not have an exceedingly viable economy to support a professional sports team. Tickets cost a lot of money, the majority of jobs in El Paso don't allow for much disposable income.

I went to go see the Astros again recently, and even though my wife obtained free dugout tickets ($200 face value) and free parking (another $25), I still managed to spend over $100 in food and drinks. We took the children, that's the real reason for the $100. If we had to pay for tickets and parking, we would have spent close to $350 for one night out as a family.

But aside from fans purchasing tickets, sports teams depend on sponsors, or corporations to purchase bulk seating, which they in turn give to vendors, and suppliers, contractors, etc. as "freebies" for doing business, or to show appreciation. This is how my wife received hers.

Are there many business in El Paso who will spend anywhere from 50-100K a year on tickets as well as fans to spend a few hundred dollars each month to attend the games, and the city to kick in money as well for a professional sports venue?

Obviously the sports franchises know El Paso can't, and they do their homework. Even for a city the size of Houston, I recall it took a lot of work and commitments, and about 600 million dollars to get NFL back into the city after Bud Adams moved the Oilers to Tennessee.

Houston put their money where their mouth is, they built Reliant Stadium, Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center and they are building a new venue for Soccer. These were partnerships with money from big business who contribute to the city, and the city gives incentives in return, aka partnership.

I don't see that same attitude from El Paso business, or the city of El Paso. Who is El Paso's largest, or most famous employer? Military does not count. Maybe they can name the venue after them... "The House That Troy Built".

Old 07-03-2008, 09:03 AM

729 posts, read 1,770,214 times
The Dallas Cowboys have a huge fan base in ELP so I do not think the NFL would ever place a team there. I heard Jerry Jones approached ELP about an Arena team and the council of idiots turned him down.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM

507 posts, read 1,789,597 times
This has been discussed in this forum a couple times before. EP simply lacks the fan base and a fan base with disposable moola to support a pro team from any of the four big leagues. And EP's television market is simply too small to generate enough ad revenue. I would say that a AAA baseball team is EP's only real chance, but even that is a stretch. As for filling the stadium/arena with enough fans, we could get the narcos to buy corporate skyboxes. I could see the ad boards now: "This Timeout Brought to You By El Guapo, the Gold-Chain-Wearing 'Trucker' from Sinaloa."

Old 07-03-2008, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,115 times
I am a Soldier in the U.S. Army stationed at Fort Sill. I am a NBA fan. I will purchase season tickets for the upcoming NBA season in support of the OKC team.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:59 AM

507 posts, read 1,410,461 times
at least an MLS team! I heard somewhere that the city is trying to build a 14,000 seat Stadium for the patriots so we can lure MLS into the area.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:36 PM

415 posts, read 368,887 times
Still, El Paso is too small, though I'm sure soccer is popular there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or