U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 AM

135 posts, read 189,145 times

Advertisements

I saw this recently - https://www.facebook.com/BringHebToElPaso

and this - Petition Bring H.E.B. to El Paso TX

Maybe you all can get people to support those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,965,335 times
I really wish a grocer like Sprouts or Central Market would open up where the Barnes and Noble/Best Buy locations used to be on Viscount. That's prime real estate with great visibility from the freeway, and the area is dying for some selection other than Walmart or Big 8.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM

643 posts, read 1,044,664 times
Kidicarus, that would be a great idea.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 PM

10 posts, read 10,718 times
I have been in HEB's all over Houston and Richmond/Rosenburg, then Austin and farther north all the way up to Dallas. I also visited their Central Market frequently (love those) as it was near my work. I never noticed they catered to anyone specific. I guess they make fresh tortillas but then again they also make and sell fresh sushi rolls. The last one I went into had a growler filling station with 6 or 8 Texas beer choices. You could bring your growler and get some great beer. You'll have to try it and be your own judge but I think they bring good things and they are a healthy Texas business, and carry lots of Texas products. I like them.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,229,334 times
I moved to New Mexico, then California from east Texas, where I shopped at HEBs all the time. One thing I miss is their low-priced store-brand (Hill Country Fare) sardines. They come in water, soybean oil, tomato sauce and Louisiana hot sauce and they were only 69 cents a can. Even after I moved to a city which didn't have an HEB I used to go stock up on these sardines whenever I was in my old hometown. I've been paying at least 99 cents a can for sardines since I left Texas and the kinds with tomato sauce and Louisiana hot sauce, which I especially liked, are hard to find cheap.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 AM

575 posts, read 629,843 times
how do you eat the sardines? The only way I know of is on saltines.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,229,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
You don't have to do that. You can also eat them from a bowl, or a plate--the HEB store brand sardines that come in sauce come in this thick sauce that doesn't run. I think they also come packed in mustard sauce. You can eat them with your fingers. A fork may not work too well, although they're pretty firm, unlike some other brands, where the fish are so fragile they're impossible to eat with a fork; a spoon would be better, if you must use utensils. You can put salt on them if you want, like I do (not too much; you're putting seasoning on the fish, not inducing vomiting or treating cholera--put a little on, then maybe a little more, until you get enough).

Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 AM

4,159 posts, read 6,493,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
I prefer eating them on the round Nabisco RITZ crackers, but also other crackers, such as Triscuits, will work as well. A change from sardines is kippered herring, which I also like on crackers.

As for HEB ever starting up in El Paso, I suspect their reluctance is the same as Blue Bell ice cream, which could be found in other parts of Texas for years before it ever arrived in El Paso - which was considered too remote for the distributor at one time. Blue Bell finally expanded their warehousing and added other manufacturing sites which allowed them to expand into adjacent states (NM, OK etc) and into the El Paso area.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 10,718 times
I have heard HEB has a gentleman's agreement with Albertsons companies to not expand into certain regions. I dont know how true it is.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:26 AM

4,159 posts, read 6,493,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvalleygirl View Post
I have heard HEB has a gentleman's agreement with Albertsons companies to not expand into certain regions. I dont know how true it is.
If that is in fact the case, it would seem they have a pact with the wrong chain, re:

Quote:
Wal-Mart grows its El Paso market dominance to 21 stores

"The biggest impact may be in the grocery store segment of the local retail industry, where Wal-Mart has captured a lot of market share and some of the older chains have closed operations," Fullerton noted.
All of its stores sell groceries, easily making it El Paso's largest supermarket operator.

It's closest grocery competitor in number of stores is Lowe's Big 8 supermarkets with 16 El Paso area stores. Lowe's is a regional chain of 140 stores in five states, according to its Web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso