U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,681,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guero View Post
what was the name of that bar on dyer, south of and on the opposite side from chico's tacos?
gabby's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 10:50 PM

994 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
The Brass Asp! Now that is an old one. Old because I left in 1980, and I used to go there in the late 70s... under age, and still could order pitchers of beers there! I remember a lot of Vietnamese women working there; it was a small blue collar kind of place. Is still there? It was off Montana if I recall correctly.
I would love to visit there next time I am in EP. I wonder if the same couple still owns it. Was a German guy and his Korean wife - if I remember correctly she also owned Young Vin Korean Restaurant on Dyer. They were nice people.

It's at that intersection of Airport and Montana where the car dealerships are.

I was also underaged when I first started going to bars and clubs in EP. I had a military ID though, and they just didn't seem to care. I doubt it's like that nowadays.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM

994 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
gabby's?
Yep!

Thanks, I couldn't pry that out of my memory banks. Getting old...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,202,077 times
You guys forgot Mustang Sally's. Then again, maybe I forgot the name. It was also on Montana, between Hawkins and Airport I think, not sure. I only went when visitng El Paso, so I was already out of there.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 PM

The Bennigan's restaurant in El Paso and one in Las Cruces and the Steak & Ale restaurant in El Paso closed Tuesday after the restaurant chain's owner filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy liquidation.

Say bye bye too two more bar Restaurants in El Paso.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,009,837 times
What about those ''Honky Tonk'' bars that used to be on north dyer going towards Newman i.e. The Connection and The Hideaway.... back in the 80's???

Old 07-31-2008, 01:11 PM

53 posts, read 165,262 times
From the years you guys are mentioning, I can see I'm a bit older than most of you however did anyone of you guys remember a biker joint on Dyer going out the city limits as if you were going to Oro Grande? When I was a teenager we used to go way the heck out there to listen to some good music. The bikers would not let us in but they were cool and would let us sit outside and listen to the music. We'd take our own "refreshements" and "oregano" and rock out. At the time there used to be this one band that played pretty often and they had a name something like Wolf or something like that. Well, later they changed their name and became ZZ Top.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM

One other Useless Trivia....did you know that the FIRST airplane hijacking occurred in El Paso? El Paso Internation Airport is in history as the city where the hijacking took place in the 60's.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESCUE89 View Post
One other Useless Trivia....did you know that the FIRST airplane hijacking occurred in El Paso? El Paso Internation Airport is in history as the city where the hijacking took place in the 60's.
Yes I knew that, that was part of the bomb class I took with the EPPD at the airport for a job I had there.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yes I knew that, that was part of the bomb class I took with the EPPD at the airport for a job I had there.
Hey Muhnay...did you take the class right after the hijacking? LOL..!!! Too bad it wasn't DB Cooper, he would have been found right away. And without a penny to his name. Us Chicanos would have rolled him as soon as he would hit El Paso dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or