U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
 
361 posts, read 627,245 times
Reputation: 508

Advertisements

You guys are bringing back a ton of memories for me. Never lived in El Paso but worked there for two weeks per month from 1978 to 1979. Used to go to the Iron Tender all the time and I still drool at the prospect of having that steak soup again. This is amazing, really - that 35 years later people are STILL talking about it. It was that good.

Anyway, I had an acquaintance who worked at Providence Memorial Hospital and one night I begged his wife to get the recipe for me. She knew the owner, and I just found it the other day. Still have it on the original paper. If anyone wants it, I would be glad to pdf it to you. Happy memories of happier days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2015, 12:56 PM
 
1 posts, read 753 times
Reputation: 15
Default THE BARS I REMEMBER IN EL Paso

I was born at Southwestern General in 1961 and left ELP in 1987. Graduated from Irvin in 1979. before that went to Canyon Hills when it was brand new, and Edgar Park elementary. The Bars I remember were "The Drifters" on Dyer. SaSo's, Geronimos, The Connection, The Longbranch, The Mule Shoe, "Jerry's two for one" The Purple onion, Dallas, Phoenix, Kings X, The New Yorker, The Korean club, The Big Wheel, the Little wheel, the New Buffalo, 6 pockets, Acetunas, Halls, The upper valley bar, the hondo pass lounge now the ironhorse, the tree top, the copper penny, montana mining company, smugglers inn, the rams head, scorpios, clicks, the stampede, jl charlies, club 54, kahns land, the butterfield stagecoach co, rincon norteno, springfires, and inncredibles by mckelligon canyon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 06:50 PM
 
5,414 posts, read 12,572,889 times
Reputation: 5452
Default Pft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKEBABY View Post
I was born at Southwestern General in 1961 and left ELP in 1987. Graduated from Irvin in 1979. before that went to Canyon Hills when it was brand new, and Edgar Park elementary. The Bars I remember were "The Drifters" on Dyer. SaSo's, Geronimos, The Connection, The Longbranch, The Mule Shoe, "Jerry's two for one" The Purple onion, Dallas, Phoenix, Kings X, The New Yorker, The Korean club, The Big Wheel, the Little wheel, the New Buffalo, 6 pockets, Acetunas, Halls, The upper valley bar, the hondo pass lounge now the ironhorse, the tree top, the copper penny, montana mining company, smugglers inn, the rams head, scorpios, clicks, the stampede, jl charlies, club 54, kahns land, the butterfield stagecoach co, rincon norteno, springfires, and inncredibles by mckelligon canyon.
Man, you don't remember anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Sacramento Mtns of NM
4,220 posts, read 6,876,781 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Man, you don't remember anything.
Very fitting for a thread titled: USELESS El Paso Trivia!

Now all we need is for someone to counter with names of all the churches in El Paso about that same time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 PM
ZSP
 
Location: El Paso TX
1,568 posts, read 4,134,469 times
Reputation: 2420
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Very fitting for a thread titled: USELESS El Paso Trivia!

Now all we need is for someone to counter with names of all the churches in El Paso about that same time period.
You're funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Sacramento Mtns of NM
4,220 posts, read 6,876,781 times
Reputation: 3488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
You're funny!
Homely too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 PM
 
5,414 posts, read 12,572,889 times
Reputation: 5452
Default Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Very fitting for a thread titled: USELESS El Paso Trivia!

Now all we need is for someone to counter with names of all the churches in El Paso about that same time period.
I'll bite... these are all the churches I attended mass at one point when growing up in El Paso, mainly San Antonio Church where I made my First Communion... with real Nuns.

San Antonio
Santa Lucia
Little Flower
Our Lady of Sorrows
Cristo Rey
Our Lady of Mt Carmel
Ysleta Mission
St Pius
St Francis Xavier
St Anthony's Church in Anthony... some kind of special retreat called 'De Colores', or something like that.

Talk about not being environmentally correct, I remember every year they would spray either diesel, or used motor oil on the parking lot of San Antonio church to keep the dust down. HA! Of course, the parking lot was dirt, not paved. 'Seemed like the right thing to do back then. My dad would change the motor oil of his car and dump it in the corner in the back of the house. Damn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2018, 04:22 PM
 
1 posts, read 347 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
My Sister was a bartender at Phoenix, and at Saso's, and at Scorpios.
Funny to stumble across this looking to see if anyone remembered these places. I was the soundman for White Hot in the 80's, based out of Iowa, and remember well the several trips we made to ELP. We mostly played Saso's, but did Scorpios once. I still have the shirts. Saso's was the best. Saso (Sam and wife Socorro) ran the joint, and had an all night eaterie in back, that served us killer steak and eggs at 2am, if we hadn't gone over the Santa Fe bridge to Juarez, to drink all night at Freds, or XO Laser Disco. They were the best people ever running a nightclub. We had more fun in more cool places in El Paso than anywhere else we went. Even staying at the rather iffy Hawaiian Royale motel on Dyer. Great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Southern California
1,013 posts, read 1,092,683 times
Reputation: 2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSA View Post
Funny to stumble across this looking to see if anyone remembered these places. I was the soundman for White Hot in the 80's, based out of Iowa, and remember well the several trips we made to ELP. We mostly played Saso's, but did Scorpios once. I still have the shirts. Saso's was the best. Saso (Sam and wife Socorro) ran the joint, and had an all night eaterie in back, that served us killer steak and eggs at 2am, if we hadn't gone over the Santa Fe bridge to Juarez, to drink all night at Freds, or XO Laser Disco. They were the best people ever running a nightclub. We had more fun in more cool places in El Paso than anywhere else we went. Even staying at the rather iffy Hawaiian Royale motel on Dyer. Great memories.
Ha Ha -- great revival of an old thread. My brother lived in an apartment at the Hawaiian Royale for years. That motel played host to an assortment of soldiers, carnival workers, contractors, etc. over the years. Pretty much everyone but actual tourists! Hard to believe now, but their swimming pool was a happening place on Summer weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 AM
 
2,780 posts, read 3,914,273 times
Reputation: 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Ha Ha -- great revival of an old thread. My brother lived in an apartment at the Hawaiian Royale for years. That motel played host to an assortment of soldiers, carnival workers, contractors, etc. over the years. Pretty much everyone but actual tourists! Hard to believe now, but their swimming pool was a happening place on Summer weekends.
We used to think that motel was quite "fancy". ! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top