U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:34 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,182,649 times

Advertisements

Some of you will know right away what I am talking about... younger El Pasoan's may not.....

As a kid, I remember the land on the northwest corner of Viscount and Gateway East was nothing but sand dunes and tumbleweeds. The winds used to blow massive amounts of sand on Viscount, and over to the parking lot across the street where Piggly Wiggly used to be. Half of Viscount would also be covered in sand, the city did not always clean it up in a timely manner.

I can still recall crews working in the dessert digging, not sure what they were doing, then they leveled all the sand dunes, they made it flat. Then imagine my surprise when we would drive by and the land was being irrigated by huge sprinklers, much like they do on farms.

After a few weeks, the dessert there became green! I figured they planted grass stop the sand, I thought, cool, a new park! But the grass kept getting taller, and taller, then turned brown!

'Turns out the city planted the field with a plant to keep the sands from blowing in the wind. This turned out to be a field of barley, hence, this is how Barley Square got it's name! Honest. Do any of you remember that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 AM

729 posts, read 1,770,462 times
I am 41..must've happened before I was born or probably never noticed.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 PM

53 posts, read 165,158 times
Default Useless El Paso Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
As a kid, I remember the land on the northwest corner of Viscount and Gateway East was nothing but sand dunes and tumbleweeds. The winds used to blow massive amounts of sand on Viscount, and over to the parking lot across the street where Piggly Wiggly used to be. Half of Viscount would also be covered in sand, the city did not always clean it up in a timely manner. I can still recall crews working in the dessert digging, not sure what they were doing, then they leveled all the sand dunes, they made it flat. Then imagine my surprise when we would drive by and the land was being irrigated by huge sprinklers, much like they do on farms. After a few weeks, the dessert there became green! I figured they planted grass stop the sand, I thought, cool, a new park! But the grass kept getting taller, and taller, then turned brown! 'Turns out the city planted the field with a plant to keep the sands from blowing in the wind. This turned out to be a field of barley, hence, this is how Barley Square got it's name! Honest. Do any of you remember that?
I do recall what you stated about the sand dunes, the sand all over the street, the planting of green grass (or we thought), but I never paid much attention to that thereafter.

I do remember when I played golf for El Paso High and we had a tournament at the newly built, back then, Del Norte golf course. This course was a heck of a challenge. The tee off box and the green was the only 2 areas that had grass. The rest of the fairways were ALL sand. We had to hit the ball high up in the sky so that when it landed, it would land on top of the sand. If you hit a line drive, it would bury in the sand and you had a heck of a time finding the ball. Now that was golf Texas Style.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,665,726 times
I can recall when there was very little is anything past Yarbrough, and Lee Trevino used to be a long drive from the N.E.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:48 PM

447 posts, read 1,360,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I can recall when there was very little is anything past Yarbrough, and Lee Trevino used to be a long drive from the N.E.
I remember the same thing only it was the drive to the Sportsplex on Zaragosa from the Ascarate area. That used to seem so far away to me, I'm an ancient 29 years old and I can already remember stuff like this...

Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,978,090 times
Back in the 80's on Viscount and Gateway West on the Northeast corner was an awesome club called Monopolies. Georgious women in all that 80's style in dress and appearance back then.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,182,649 times
Funny you mention that club; I had already moved away before that club existed, and when I would visit ELP, that is where my friends wanted to go. Once there, it was sort of a class reunion as I would see many of the people I went to school with.

Before that club, however, there was another in that strip called 'THE PLACE', does anyone recall that one? I was not old enough to get in legally, but I went in nonetheless, and ordered drinks. It did get bad, there were some shootings and fights. In fact, now that recall, that always seemed to be the problem with the clubs in El Paso. Is that still the case, or has that violence ceased?

Just as Chris Rock said.... 'Grand Opening... Grand Closing'!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Back in the 80's on Viscount and Gateway West on the Northeast corner was an awesome club called Monopolies. Georgious women in all that 80's style in dress and appearance back then.
Did you ever see a rock band in there called TANTRUM? Ahh the good old days of spandex and hair.. too fat for spandex now and the hair well its migrating.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,320,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Wasn't that Graham's before it was Monopolie's?

Graham's was also wall-to-wall 80's dressed girls. Can't forget The Phoenix either!

Woohoo!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Wasn't that Graham's before it was Monopolie's?

Graham's was also wall-to-wall 80's dressed girls. Can't forget The Phoenix either!

Woohoo!

My Sister was a bartender at Phoenix, and at Saso's, and at Scorpios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or