Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times

Advertisements

The first Starbucks in El Paso opened a bit late compared to other cities in 2003.
Now we have still only a hanful, a very small # for a city of 800k.
The economic downturn will force the closing of 600 stores nationwide.
Do you think any in El Paso will close? Is the coffee culture doomed here?
Do fellow forum members like and visit SB's?

Starbucks in El Paso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
I don't live in EP, but if I did, I wouldn't patronize Starbucks that much. I have been to Starbucks maybe 3 times in my entire life.

It's ok, but I just don't see what the fuss is about.

Other coffee shops here in Alamogordo (no Starbucks, but you can get the coffee itself) are just as good or better.

It's just so overpriced. You're paying for a name and a so-called status symbol, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know how many shops EP has, but it would not surprise me if some of them did close.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,826 times
there's four on the westside that I know of and I have never been to one nor will I ever go to one ,when its over 100 degrees who wants to drink coffee maybe if it was a beerbucks I'd be there

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I stop in the one at the airport whenever I fly. I always rely on them for good, regular coffee when I travel. Beats hotel coffee EVERY day, all day.

I think they are planning to close shops where there is some redundancy, like they have in Manhattan. On some blocks there are two Starbucks a couple of doors from each from each other, don't even have to cross the street.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
I doubt you'll see every store closing, but there should still be some that remain. The weird thing is, Starbucks is still building a few new locations in the Dallas area, so just because they close 600 stores now doesn't mean you won't see new locations in the future. You may lose a few, but you can eventually get new ones back, but likely in a different location. In your case, Northeast El Paso, with new growth coming, is the most likely area to get a new Starbucks.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,425 times
I remember reading back when the news came out about all these Starbucks closing...that they were still going to open around 200 more stores this year.

None of the El Paso Starbucks are scheduled or even rumored to be closing. The Seattle Times put up a map on google maps with all the stores that are either confirmed or rumored to be closed.
Google Maps

I think they are even building a new one on the corner of Geronimo and Montana, where an old gas station used to be.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 AM

14 posts, read 52,015 times
I have never seen a Starbucks in El Paso, and i always look when my family goes to visit family. Coming from Southrn California, i am spoiled and we have one on pretty much every other block hahahah

Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblvnvelphy View Post
I have never seen a Starbucks in El Paso, and i always look when my family goes to visit family. Coming from Southrn California, i am spoiled and we have one on pretty much every other block hahahah
There are a lot on the West Side. I tend not to go since I make coffee at home but I can see the appeal in a way. I like their coffee since it's good and strong. A lot of chains are closing some of their stores but a cup of coffee is more affordable than stopping in for a drink at a bar and you don't need a designated driver. Coffee shops where someone can sit and have just a coffee, socialize or read a paper fill a certain need.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

Other coffee shops here in Alamogordo (no Starbucks, but you can get the coffee itself) are just as good or better.
You just had to remind me of the Plateau Expresso in Alamogordo .

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 PM

811 posts, read 2,941,008 times
Starbucks is way overated.........there are 29 Starbucks in Albuquerque, and I still prefer Satellite Coffee (a local place)which personally I think is way better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso