U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 PM

70 posts, read 150,137 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I was living in Norwalk california(somewhere between L.A. and disneyland) up until last year. My story is: I was born in el paso and my parents are from juarez. I lived here all my childhood. Finished school and moved to california. Got married and had a kid, he's 9 months now. I am about to turn 31 this year and I am back in el paso, why? because one day, I realized that my life was passing me by and I wasn't even feeling it.

One day I had a day off from work and stayed home with my baby all day long. My wife got home from work that day and I told her: We're moving.

she asked me where to and, I told her: EL Paso. We discussed things and we are here now. She is finishing school at utep and I'm starting my real state business. We are struggling at the moment but, I know we can make it.

I am one of those people that don't think about making millions. That day with my kid made me realize that I was missing the important things in life because I wanted to be just like everyone else in California; Important. I went from driving nice cars to the 2000 toyota corolla that I drive now. I love looking at my kid crawling all over the house. I love the sound of my house(I never got to enjoy it over there) I went out at 6 in the morning and got back at 7-8 at night because of traffic.

I will say this; El Paso is not the best nor the most beautiful city in the US but, to some of us, this is home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 AM

15 posts, read 43,053 times
I love your post caiguar, and I agree completely with you. I too just moved back to EP from the Pacific Northwest. As I said before, the PN is very pretty and with lots of things to do, but the problem is that there is no time to enjoy anything. I much rather be here in EP with all of its problems but enjoy life a little bit more. But I guess society has conditioned us to think that more money equals happiness.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 PM

729 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Caiguar and grad-student...nice posts!! They made me feel better about moving back to ELP. I have been getting alot of resistance from my family about going back. Still working it out.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 6,783 times
Michaelmac, you spoke from the heart and quite eloquently. Your perspective on life in EP was accurate. Since you seem to know the city well, are you able to provide any feedback on schools? In your opinion, what are the best public and private schools in the city or Las Cruces area? Do you feel that schools in the area offer the quality of education that one can receive elsewhere? Sure, an intelligent child can succeed in any educational realm, but will they be adequately prepared when faced with the competition, in say, an Ivy League University?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM

707 posts, read 2,649,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiguar View Post
Hello everyone. I was living in Norwalk california(somewhere between L.A. and disneyland) up until last year. My story is: I was born in el paso and my parents are from juarez. I lived here all my childhood. Finished school and moved to california. Got married and had a kid, he's 9 months now. I am about to turn 31 this year and I am back in el paso, why? because one day, I realized that my life was passing me by and I wasn't even feeling it.

One day I had a day off from work and stahome with my baby all day long. My wife got home from work that day and I told her: We're moving.

she asked me where to and, I told her: EL Paso. We discussed things and we are here now. She is finishing school at utep and I'm starting my real state business. We are struggling at the moment but, I know we can make it.

I am one of those people that don't think about making millions. That day with my kid made me realize that I was missing the important things in life because I wanted to be just like everyone else in California; Important. I went from driving nice cars to the 2000 toyota corolla that I drive now. I love looking at my kid crawling all over the house. I love the sound of my house(I never got to enjoy it over there) I went out at 6 in the morning and got back at 7-8 at night because of traffic.

I will say this; El Paso is not the best nor the most beautiful city in the US but, to some of us, this is home.
TRUE, TRUE, TRUE

I live in ABQ and while I wanted to move to LA I ended up staying here and I don't regret my decision one minute. I do think it is great that you did take the plunge and live there for a while, and it is funny how having a family can make us look at our lives differently. Glad to see you are regretting your decision, EP is a great place to live and raise children.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 AM

714 posts, read 1,597,932 times
I am a transplant...a think the novelty of EP is wearing off for me. I was excited about moving here...very affordable (true) and family friendly. I think EP is hard for transplants who do not have family here...in our neighborhood, since just about everyone has family from EP we rarely see any neighbors. Needless to say, I personally am losing the adventurous spirit that brought us here. Maybe I am so Cali that the slower pace is taking time to adjust.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
I am a transplant...a think the novelty of EP is wearing off for me. I was excited about moving here...very affordable (true) and family friendly. I think EP is hard for transplants who do not have family here...in our neighborhood, since just about everyone has family from EP we rarely see any neighbors. Needless to say, I personally am losing the adventurous spirit that brought us here. Maybe I am so Cali that the slower pace is taking time to adjust.
El Paso isn't for everyone. I kind of like that my neighbors stay to themselves, but also I've always known quite a few transplants, to me it seems almost no one has real deep roots here. That might depend on the particular neighborhood and/or workplace you find yourself in.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM

571 posts, read 1,672,762 times
You know I am from Houston (didn't like it much) and live in L.A. (love/hate but mostly like where I live at) and I was in El Paso over the weekend I have to say I was deeply impressed.. It is too bad we were on our way into Juarez for my husband's immigration interview and could not enjoy more of the city. I never had considered EP before as a place to move to (had looked at Vegas, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc. nothing seemed quite right) but EP just might be the place for us.. it reminded me in alot of ways of L.A. or at least the valley and other hispanic areas.. I have to say that "living in the moment" thing is a largely hispanic way of living and something that drew me to my husband, his family, and the part of L.A. that we live in.. El Paso seems like a nicer, cleaner, cheaper version of L.A./the valley yet at the same time being more like where I grew up but more relaxed and happier!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM

114 posts, read 317,722 times
Interesting comments from everyone but in general they seem favorable of El Paso. I am glad because I too feel this is a good place and you can make it into whatever you wish with a little effort and openness.

People are what make this city and that will be the driving force in the decades to come. Look are the recent ranking in the El Paso Times; 26th in the mid city range and 96th out of 350 communities nationwide. It is up to the individual to acclimate, embrace and move on and enjoy.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,188,397 times
I would take ELP *anytime* over LA! Yes, LA has great weather, cool beaches, Disney Land, Universal, Hollywood... etc., but those are tourist attractions, and what people have been programmed to know through Hollywood. Those places are largely frequented, and visited just as any tourist would. In other words, you can always travel to LA to experience those things and then go back home.

However, living in LA, as you noted, is a different story. Unflattering, for lack of a better word, is what most of LA is like in my opinion. Sure there are exclusive and affluent neighborhoods in LA, but what city does not have that? 'Just happens LA has it to a higher degree.

It is said that well over 90% of what humans know/learn is through the sense of vision. Based on that, if I start from my earliest memories of LA and fastforward like a DVD, I would not be too impressed with LA, aside form the tourist attractions. LA really does not look that good, bar the nice neighborhoods and tourist attractions.

If it were a pie, most of it would be dirty and uninviting, then there would be some nice slices of it as well. Overall, to a large degree, it looks and remnids me of many of the cities in Mexico, and South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or