U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM

729 posts, read 1,769,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter4ever View Post
If I can find a decent job in EP I'll move back tomorrow.
yeppers...me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 AM

70 posts, read 150,097 times
Well this is an old thread, but one of my favorites so I will bring it back. That on the bottom was me in 2008. Now well I have two kids, my wife graduated and working now. I'm getting ready to buy a second house here and loving every minute of it. I love this place my friends. "There's nothing to do" a lot of people say here, sure there is. Something that you like is not in the city? jump on a plane and go do it somewhere else, plane trips are actually pleasant here. I love concerts and nba games as much as the guy next to me, so what do I do? I take a weekend, drive, enjoy the ride go to phoenix watch a game come back. Weekend trip, easy. Jump on a plane and go to dallas, houston, austin, san antonio all in a week's worth of time. Feel like going to vegas? sure everyone likes going to vegas, drive? or fly? depends on the time you have from work or money of course.

There's nothing to do? I have gone out with friends here locally and spent 200 dlls on a night out. Want to have a weekend in vegas? with little planning, this trip can cost you about two days out here with buddies.

yea sometimes it can get boring, things, life, to-do lists, work, etc, etc. I don't mind boring as long as my entertainment in. That can be something a simple as going to walk to a park, having a beer at an ac/dc concert, watching the miners, going to watch korn for free. taking walks to photograph the city, maybe strolling at the zoo to chill a bit. going shopping, who doesn't like that? anyone know the plaza theater? yea great place too. feel like getting wasted one day? go to a club, downtown has options, west side has options, east side has options. feel like stepping down and dissapear for a weekend? rent a cabin in ruidoso open the curtains, fire up the fireplace and watch everything get covered in snow. golf? sure, lets go. el paso, cruces or maybe up thee while in ruidoso? want to go fishing? sure you do, lets go to elephant butte, want to ride the water? rent something there and you'll see how fun a boat or a water sky can be. I am sure I still have a lot of other things to do here. Any ideas people?? help me out, this city is so boring!!

I love san antonio, austin, los angeles, san diego, san francisco, north carolina, new york, boston, phoenix, albuqurque, santa fe, mexico, bunch of places in mexico. I love a lot of places but this is my home people, and I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiguar View Post
Hello everyone. I was living in Norwalk california(somewhere between L.A. and disneyland) up until last year. My story is: I was born in el paso and my parents are from juarez. I lived here all my childhood. Finished school and moved to california. Got married and had a kid, he's 9 months now. I am about to turn 31 this year and I am back in el paso, why? because one day, I realized that my life was passing me by and I wasn't even feeling it.

One day I had a day off from work and stayed home with my baby all day long. My wife got home from work that day and I told her: We're moving.

she asked me where to and, I told her: EL Paso. We discussed things and we are here now. She is finishing school at utep and I'm starting my real state business. We are struggling at the moment but, I know we can make it.

I am one of those people that don't think about making millions. That day with my kid made me realize that I was missing the important things in life because I wanted to be just like everyone else in California; Important. I went from driving nice cars to the 2000 toyota corolla that I drive now. I love looking at my kid crawling all over the house. I love the sound of my house(I never got to enjoy it over there) I went out at 6 in the morning and got back at 7-8 at night because of traffic.

I will say this; El Paso is not the best nor the most beautiful city in the US but, to some of us, this is home.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 AM

729 posts, read 1,769,975 times
I spent two weeks in El Paso for Christmas. I have to say I was really disappointed concerning some of things that I experienced. Your 110,000 to 230,000 new residents from Juaritos are changing the culture big time. They bring their lifestyle and habits to the USA. I felt like I was in Juarez in El Paso.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
I spent two weeks in El Paso for Christmas. I have to say I was really disappointed concerning some of things that I experienced. Your 110,000 to 230,000 new residents from Juaritos are changing the culture big time. They bring their lifestyle and habits to the USA. I felt like I was in Juarez in El Paso.
Yep - that many people pretty much overnight makes an impact. But they have the big money to spend so they can quickly remold this town to their liking.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 PM

756 posts, read 1,756,050 times
Just please teach them to Drive. I no longer want to leave post..they are crazy behind the wheel.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 AM

2,613 posts, read 5,121,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
Just please teach them to Drive. I no longer want to leave post..they are crazy behind the wheel.
I think that is because how strict the driving laws are enforced on base. Take those same drivers out of base...

Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 PM

498 posts, read 1,106,605 times
I also saw the complacency when I was there in EL Paso for my 2 week winter break. When I walked downtown, I was so sad to see many places closed. That is not the case in either FOrt WOrth, Austin, Dallas..where I live now..All of these cities have beautiful downtowns..not so much Dallas, but at least there are not so many places that are boarded up..EL Paso could do something with the Plaza HOTel that was the original Hilton, and many other places..I dont know what it would take..When I was growing up in ELP,,downtown was fun and I loved going there to see the stores like WHite House and Popular..I only see JC PEnny now..I dont know how it has survived all these years. But my love for El Paso will always remain..as this is where I was born.!!..

Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
I also saw the complacency when I was there in EL Paso for my 2 week winter break. When I walked downtown, I was so sad to see many places closed. That is not the case in either FOrt WOrth, Austin, Dallas..where I live now..All of these cities have beautiful downtowns..not so much Dallas, but at least there are not so many places that are boarded up..EL Paso could do something with the Plaza HOTel that was the original Hilton, and many other places..I dont know what it would take..When I was growing up in ELP,,downtown was fun and I loved going there to see the stores like WHite House and Popular..I only see JC PEnny now..I dont know how it has survived all these years. But my love for El Paso will always remain..as this is where I was born.!!..
What? El Paso's downtown has tons of stores. Tons of shoppers. Didn't you notice all those Korean run little shops? All the ads and displays for jeans with the signs that say "pompis"? And there's a big segundas right in the heart of downtown and lots of piles of used clothing laying on the sidewalks for sale cheap.

El Paso has a pretty bustling downtown. You couldn't want more people shopping.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,701,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post

Really?, in what way?

Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,736,814 times
I used to live here, left for several years and returned. I was shocked by the sudden growth - I used to feel like a big fish in a small pond here - now, I'm just another face in the crowd. It takes longer to drive somewhere than I remembered.
There was a problem with boarded up buildings in the central area, and nowadays it's even worse, as is downtown in that regard. Sad.
On a positive note, I do notice that there is a whole lot less graffiti than back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or