U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM
 
1,410 posts, read 1,740,082 times
Reputation: 1156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I completely agree about the traffic. It's nothing like it used to be when it was only a good-sized city....

.......
The traffic was nothing - 20 minutes and you could be whisked from one end of town to another and El Paso was a lot friendlier and also quirkier. People from the East Side would claim people on the West Side were snootier. Or people on the Northeast side would say they had the best view or the mountains, the South side had it's own flavor and flair.
I'm not the only one who remembers this city as being friendlier before. Now that I've been back, it doesn't feel like home anymore and I feel like a stranger in a strange town. I guess that I can enjoy the anonymity that I didn't have back in the day when people would always approach me when I was on errands and stuff. I do kinda like going into the Lower Valley occasionally because it's more like the 'old El Paso' that I remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,671,082 times
Reputation: 14471
I live in Arizona, but i spend a lot of time in El Paso visiting relatives.

El Paso is a decent town, but it's kinda lame in many ways. The upside is the low crime, which is pretty damn impressive relative to it's size and population.

Downside? El Pasoans have 3 pastimes: shopping, going to movies, and going to eat. That city offers little else in the way of culture and entertainment. The amount of stripmalls featuring the same old tired stores is shocking, to say the least. The restaurants (mostly chains) are substandard. The best steakhouse is 30 miles outside of the city (in Texas....imagine that!). And if you look at the concert or any entertainment schedules, it's laughable when you consider the size of that city. EP is nearly identical to Tucson in population size, but culturally, you can't even compare the two. Tucson feels like NYC compared to EP.

In any case, EP has some good selling points. Reasonably priced real estate and great weather (when the wind isn't kicking up). But i couldn't live there if my life depended on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
 
643 posts, read 1,044,958 times
Reputation: 793
Contrary to all the previous posts there are a lot of things to do in El Paso. Although most concerts are mid-week, with groups stopping by on their way to east Texas or Cali, they are still stopping. We have a plethora of art shows, summer concerts, downtown events and not to mention all the great new restaurants. I think if you look you will find. I am not saying El Paso is on par with New York, but we are definitely above Tucson!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Reputation: 22168
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I live in Arizona, but i spend a lot of time in El Paso visiting relatives.

El Paso is a decent town, but it's kinda lame in many ways. The upside is the low crime, which is pretty damn impressive relative to it's size and population.

Downside? El Pasoans have 3 pastimes: shopping, going to movies, and going to eat. That city offers little else in the way of culture and entertainment. The amount of stripmalls featuring the same old tired stores is shocking, to say the least. The restaurants (mostly chains) are substandard. The best steakhouse is 30 miles outside of the city (in Texas....imagine that!). And if you look at the concert or any entertainment schedules, it's laughable when you consider the size of that city. EP is nearly identical to Tucson in population size, but culturally, you can't even compare the two. Tucson feels like NYC compared to EP.

In any case, EP has some good selling points. Reasonably priced real estate and great weather (when the wind isn't kicking up). But i couldn't live there if my life depended on it.
That's because that's all they want to do but that isn't all there is to do. I haven't been to a movie in years, I sometimes go out to eat but not often and I hate to shop so I don't do much of that either.

We have good weather for hiking, bike riding, just walking, horseback riding, swimming but it's all pools for that. There is good camping nearby.

We do miss out on activities like boating, waterskiing, canoing.

A lot of good bands seem to pass us by - unless you like the Mexican groups, they come here often. Yes, in some ways we're like a small town.

If someone really needs the NY or even Tucson nightlife, they might not love it here. The weather here is better than either of those places however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 AM
 
714 posts, read 1,598,856 times
Reputation: 507
I don't know about nothing to do....many traveling Broadway shows come through, Cats and Legally Blonde were just here and Wicked has a long run here in Feb. The Rolling Stones came here, Elton John, James Taylor, Chicago, Bryan Adams, Brittany Spears. Good retro rock at Speaking Rock. Not too bad. Skiing is only two hours away (with proper sacrifice to the snow gods). Wine and music festivals seem to be on the rise. I moved from a very metro area in CA and the thing I miss the most is family, beach access, large amusement parks, and pro (NFL, NBA and MLB) sports. But I like Miner athletics and that makes up for a lot of the sports bug...a local thing i can identify with. The cost of living here has allowed us to do some things we probably wouldn't have done when we were in CA. UTEP brings a lot to the El Paso area, including the Dinner Theater. Shopping, eating, going to movies...how is that different from anywhere else in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,671,082 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's because that's all they want to do but that isn't all there is to do. I haven't been to a movie in years, I sometimes go out to eat but not often and I hate to shop so I don't do much of that either.

We have good weather for hiking, bike riding, just walking, horseback riding, swimming but it's all pools for that. There is good camping nearby.

We do miss out on activities like boating, waterskiing, canoing.

A lot of good bands seem to pass us by - unless you like the Mexican groups, they come here often. Yes, in some ways we're like a small town.

If someone really needs the NY or even Tucson nightlife, they might not love it here. The weather here is better than either of those places however.
The weather in EP is MOST DEFINITELY not better than the weather in Tucson. Not even close. Tucson is just as close if not closer to those same activities that you listed with a nightlife that is so far superior to EP that you can't even compare the two. Besides, Tucson is an hour and a half from another major metro....El Paso is 4 to 5 hours from another major metro...and you can barely refer to Albuquerque as such. Especially in comparison to Phoenix.

Moreover, even though Tucson jobs don't pay as well on average than Phoenix, they still pay far better than the same job in EP. U of A is a better university than UTEP is and the education system in Tucson is better than EP on the whole.

Still, there are good selling points to El Paso. But it's a place to retire...not a place for people who actually want to DO things. I mean really...the best steakhouse lies 45 minutes outside of the city in the state of Texas? LMAO...that's lame!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Glory Road - El Paso, Texas (R.O)
2,613 posts, read 5,128,333 times
Reputation: 1835
The biggest selling point to Tuscon? We are closer to Phoenix! #winning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Reputation: 22168
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The weather in EP is MOST DEFINITELY not better than the weather in Tucson. Not even close. Tucson is just as close if not closer to those same activities that you listed with a nightlife that is so far superior to EP that you can't even compare the two. Besides, Tucson is an hour and a half from another major metro....El Paso is 4 to 5 hours from another major metro...and you can barely refer to Albuquerque as such. Especially in comparison to Phoenix.

Moreover, even though Tucson jobs don't pay as well on average than Phoenix, they still pay far better than the same job in EP. U of A is a better university than UTEP is and the education system in Tucson is better than EP on the whole.

Still, there are good selling points to El Paso. But it's a place to retire...not a place for people who actually want to DO things. I mean really...the best steakhouse lies 45 minutes outside of the city in the state of Texas? LMAO...that's lame!
I suppose weather is a matter of opinion - I don't think I would like the heat of Tucson and the need for air conditioning and all that extra cost.

However I think Tucson is a cool town. And it's got more night life for sure --I probably agree with you except for the weather part. El Paso is about perfect, not too hot, not too cold yet still with some feeling of seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 AM
 
47,314 posts, read 24,671,082 times
Reputation: 14471
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suppose weather is a matter of opinion - I don't think I would like the heat of Tucson and the need for air conditioning and all that extra cost.

However I think Tucson is a cool town. And it's got more night life for sure --I probably agree with you except for the weather part. El Paso is about perfect, not too hot, not too cold yet still with some feeling of seasons.
True...weather is a matter of opinion. Tucson gets far more rain IMO. Yes, it's hotter, but it's all relative when they're both pretty dry and get near or over 100 degrees. I mean, if it's 98 in EP and 105 in Tucson, that aint all that big of a deal to me. It's still pretty hot. Now if you're comparing EP to Phoenix weather, you'd have a better case.

But the main difference is culture. El Paso is great for people who want to wake up and go to IHOP for breakfast, then go to the mall to shop, and have dinner at Applebees. Lame...yes, but tens of millions of Americans like that lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Lone Star State
355 posts, read 951,542 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Still, there are good selling points to El Paso. But it's a place to retire...not a place for people who actually want to DO things. I mean really...the best steakhouse lies 45 minutes outside of the city in the state of Texas? LMAO...that's lame!
Just curious but have you ever had a steak from Garufa's, Mi Piaci, 2900 or Dane's (all located in ELP)? They may not be AS great as Cattlemans but they're awesome nonetheless (just not as heavily advertised).

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But the main difference is culture. El Paso is great for people who want to wake up and go to IHOP for breakfast, then go to the mall to shop, and have dinner at Applebees. Lame...yes, but tens of millions of Americans like that lifestyle
Just because this lifestyle may not appeal to you, does not make it "lame." But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top