U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM

4,157 posts, read 6,480,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
But if you have plans to stay in to a city where you could never hope to make more than a $45k, it's hard to justify spending $50k+ on an education.... For the average Joe ....
I can't disagree with you're assessment for the "average Joe." Generalizations are never good reference points for those with skill, determination, ideas, etc. There are MANY jobs in the area that pay in six figures. Perhaps not at entry level, but certainly for the more experienced. El Paso has long been good to entrepreneurs in various fields. El Paso has its share of people who are native to the city who have gone on to become millionaires.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:13 AM

351 posts, read 758,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I can't disagree with you're assessment for the "average Joe." Generalizations are never good reference points for those with skill, determination, ideas, etc. There are MANY jobs in the area that pay in six figures. Perhaps not at entry level, but certainly for the more experienced. El Paso has long been good to entrepreneurs in various fields. El Paso has its share of people who are native to the city who have gone on to become millionaires.

Sure there are jobs that pay over 6 figures... Medicine, Lawyers, and CEOs. When I say "average Joe", I'm talking about the 97% of people in El Paso that make less than a 6 figure income. The median income in El Paso is $35,120. That means half of all employees in the El Paso area make less than $35,120 per year.

For some similarly sized cities:

Tucson $42,160.
San Antonio: $39,410
Albuquerque: $41,520
Austin: $46,130

See for yourself:

El Paso, TX - May 2010 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM

643 posts, read 1,043,428 times
I think vjsoto likes to come back to the El Paso forum to make himself feel better and brag about how "accomplished/educated" he is. I have not seen one constructive criticism from any of your posts. I also find it hard to believe that you are highly educated when you don't know the difference between your and you're.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 PM

729 posts, read 1,770,462 times
Quote:
Sure there are jobs that pay over 6 figures... Medicine, Lawyers, and CEOs. When I say "average Joe", I'm talking about the 97% of people in El Paso that make less than a 6 figure income. The median income in El Paso is $35,120. That means half of all employees in the El Paso area make less than $35,120 per year.

For some similarly sized cities:

Tucson $42,160.
San Antonio: $39,410
Albuquerque: $41,520
Austin: $46,130

See for yourself:

El Paso, TX - May 2010 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates
Those 97% you mentioned are now waving their green and red flags cause Mexico defeated USA in soccer. I could see it now.....honk honk as twenty guys in a pickup truck blaring their narco corrido songs chanting Arriba Arriba Lindo Mexico!! Let's see another US soldier of Mexican heritage wave his Mexico Lindo flag in United States military base again. Thank God I was not there to see those scenes.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,123,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Those 97% you mentioned are now waving their green and red flags cause Mexico defeated USA in soccer.
Not in El Paso today.

Quote:
I could see it now.....honk honk as twenty guys in a pickup truck blaring their narco corrido songs chanting Arriba Arriba Lindo Mexico!!
Did malamute hack into your account?

El Paso didn't live up to that hype either today.

Quote:
Let's see another US soldier of Mexican heritage wave his Mexico Lindo flag in United States military base again. Thank God I was not there to see those scenes.
Never heard that story.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:05 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Not in El Paso today.

Did malamute hack into your account?

El Paso didn't live up to that hype either today.

Never heard that story.
No - luckily I was out of town when that all happened, but I also heard that went on. Bunch of ingrates I think.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:12 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crrogers22 View Post
I am a newly- minted doctor who moved to El Paso to work at the medical school. Although it's a nice town, I have never been to a place where so many ppl are content to live at home with their mom and dad, not obtain an education and make $8/hour for the rest of their lives.

The mentality is very much "live for today." I would like to stay here, but if I ever plan on meeting a professional, I had better move someone else.
That's why certain employers love El Paso. Those adults who will never move out of their parents' homes are perfectly happy with the low wages they will receive here but it makes it harder for those who grow up and want to own their own home because they can't compete for the low wages here if they have to pay for their own housing and property taxes.

There is also a huge benefit for those who stay crammed into their parent's house - the senior citizen property tax break. They can keep voting for higher taxes because it doesn't affect them since they will never pay them.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
I think vjsoto likes to come back to the El Paso forum to make himself feel better and brag about how "accomplished/educated" he is. I have not seen one constructive criticism from any of your posts. I also find it hard to believe that you are highly educated when you don't know the difference between your and you're.
Hahaha... your funny... I'm not here to provide constructive criticism - I'm providing perspective and facts. And by the way, I don't see how critiquing my spelling is constructive at all. If anything, it's hypocritical and shows everyone else exactly what kind of person you really are. Oops.. I'm human, and I made a typo... get over it!

I never claimed to be highly educated. I just have a bachelors degree. I would love to move back to El Paso because I love the city and the people there, but I can't without taking a huge cut in pay, so I wont. It's one of my biggest gripes about El Paso, and I think it provides very useful insight to someone that might be moving there, or someone who questions the culture and why some people "settle" on low wage jobs.

Last edited by vjsoto; 06-30-2011 at 02:12 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 08:44 AM

643 posts, read 1,043,428 times
[quote=vjsoto;19819276]Hahaha... your funny... quote]

Doh!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM

[quote=TexasCCW;19821979]
Quote:
Hahaha... your funny... quote]

Doh!
Yes, that was intentional. Duh! Congratulations on catching that. Your so smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or