U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 AM

13,140 posts, read 35,991,286 times

Advertisements

Great news for EP as $1 billion in new freeway projects are advancing as it would complete loop 375 thru downtown and also widen and beautify I-10 thru El Paso and other smaller projects. These along with the new Inner Loop freeway under construction is very good for EP.

Good to see EP has a powerful member on the Texas Transportation Commission in Ted Houghton. Lets hope this goes thru as planned.
$1 billion roads plan set for OK this week - El Paso Times

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 07-20-2008 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:41 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,190,868 times
The only questionable thing I see here is the TRZ, watchout. As far as toll roads, we have them here in Houston. No one likes to pay for roads, but I agree with the article that funding roads the traditional way takes too long, sometimes over twenty years.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm really glad that they are talking about beautifying I-10 as and hopefully that includes the Spaguetti bowl as they are beautifying the Big I here in Albuquerque and it looks fantastic along with the other beautifications going on along I-40 up here.

Lets see $4 billion in Ft. Bliss construction and $1 billion in new freeways and a new Med School and UTEP expanding and Paul Foster redeveloping downtown and hopefully the new upscale mall being built is all good news for EP finally after all these years.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Plantings make a difference, don' they? I have not been to ABQ in a while, but I also emember the esplanades and easments being dirt just like in ELP.

When I first saw Houston, one of the things I noticed was that all the esplanades, easments and empty fields were green, with grass growing. I thought this was neat enough.

However, several years ago, the city began to beautify the inner city with trees, and landscaping. When the state began the I10 widening several years ago, the state planted oaks, pines, maples and other colorful shrubbery on the easments and esplandes. It makes a huge difference, and is welcoming to anyone entering, or leaving Houston.

The beautification begins in Katy, the small town right before Houston and those entering will find the I10 corridor lined with so many trees, it will look like a forest when the trees mature, you won't see the business from the freeway.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:14 PM

44,352 posts, read 35,411,008 times
We can't wait any longer. El Paso really needs these roadways and all the improvements to I-10 and others to ensure that there won't be any bottlenecks. Now's the time.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
We can't wait any longer. El Paso really needs these roadways and all the improvements to I-10 and others to ensure that there won't be any bottlenecks. Now's the time.
So true case....with a $10 billion surplus in new money Texas should be fixing its infrustructure.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:27 PM

874 posts, read 2,653,845 times
This is great news! I hope it all gets approved.

It says that "work on the Loop 375 completion could begin later this year", I wonder what exactly does this mean? Would this include the freeway connections as well? Like at Loop 375/I-10 and Loop 375/Patriot Frwy?

"two rapid-transit bus lines, which he described as an above-ground subway system, to take their first riders next year." - I wonder where these would go? It's sounds like a good plan though.

I can't wait for this: "The Southern Corridor toll project would build toll lanes on the West Side near Sunland Park and I-10 that would run through the Border Highway to Zaragoza and I-10. The Northeast Parkway toll route is planned to connect Loop 375 and U.S. 54."

With them now planning to beautify I-10.. makes this plan sound truly awesome!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:54 PM

Chuco, when they announced/finalized the plans for the I10 corridor expansion in Houston, they said it would be a 9 year plan. Incentives, vey nice ones, were built in, so it wil now be completed in 7 years. The work started in 2002, and it is just about completed. The last thing they are doing now is installing the tollway monitors, and booths. The rest of the freeway is now open, and used however. The old freeway used to boggle my mind, with a city the size of Houston, you only had three major lanes in, and out of Houston. We now have an 18 lane highway, at least inbound, or the west side where all the traffic is. The freeway was orignally constructed for a maximum of 70K cars perday, we curently average about 250K cars per day. BTW, the incentives were bonuses paid to the contractors totaling over 400 million dollars.

Anyway, the first two years were spent surveying, and clearing out the right of way, it was not until the third year that you actually saw the construction crews making new roads. Of course, El Paso probably does not have to worry about eminent domain where they are building, so it may happen sooner than that.

'Just mentioning that so people don't think they are going to see fly-overs go up this year.

'Funny, in El Paso I knew a fly-over as an overpass, but the rest of the world calls them fly-overs.

Regards

Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 AM

El Paso now is doing alot better now as having El Pasoan Ted Houghton on the THC since 2003 has changed things for the better for us now.

Remember the 1994 El Paso Court of Inquiry where El Paso judge Edward Marquez threaten to jail Texas Highway officials for contempt of their duty to west texas. It found that out of 25 Highway districts El Paso was at or near the bottom in funding. From 1986 to 1996 El Paso recieved just 2.8 % of 19 billion for road construction. From 1996 to 2006 it got 3.1%

I agree with needing Tolls as i approve for new roadways. We had them in Florida as they paid for the large span bridges over the St. Johns river in Jacksonville and the Florida Turnpike also. Anyway we just want our fair share like everyone else.

Court case improved EP road funding AUSTIN -- Flash back to 1994.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 AM

Wow. I have not really kept up with El Paso politics, but good to see they are getting more of the pie.

I would think that El Paso also has the advantage of having the Ft. Bliss expansion. One would think that reason alone is a good cause for El Paso to receive more federal tax dollars to compliment state dollars. After all, it was the federal government who chose to increase the size of Ft. Bliss, it just makes sense that they would also pay for some of the infrastructure costs.... or are they? Like I said, I don't keep up with the politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or