Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Yeah, dude, I read it..where does it say that ocngypz does not want a state income tax?

I think even with a state income tax, Southern New Mexico probably still has lower taxes than El Paso County. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that it is still cheaper to live in NM than in EP County..when it comes down to taxes. Now housing prices..thats a different story as housing prices are cheaper in El Paso than in Dona Ana.

If people like this area, I will also recommend for them to look at Southern NM as well as El Paso.

I would pay higher income taxes in NM than I pay now. Not a good thing. Secondly, been there, lived there, bought the t-shirt.... and ran out of water 4 times. I got tired of supporting the well drillers.......so to El Paso I went.

And yes, Dona Ana County home prices are MUCH higher than ELP. Too much.. for what you get.

BTW, if you work in TX and live in NM, you still pay NM income tax.

What started all of this, is that my best friend and I.. are both sick and tired of New England. She lived in ABQ and I in ELP. She's finally rid of her brood.. and we both have tel-commute jobs.. so we can live anywhere. We're both tired of the NE winters.........taxes...........dirty communities....crime........
so we both decided we needed to be somewhere else. ABQ is out of the question!!! So that's why I started looking at ELP again. Right now I pay $427 dollars a year just on personal property tax for my car!!!!!!!!!!!! Just for fun I called my insurance company to find out how much car insurance would be at my old address in ELP. $522 a year. I pay $998 now.

Four things in this world I will not tolerate: high incidence of tornados, earthquakes and hurricanes, and snowy winters. Which leaves out a good part of the country!

I guess no place is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Children's hospital to bump up taxes - El Paso Times

I told you all to vote against this Children's Hospital.. Some of you may think this is not all that much to be concerned with, but it all adds up.

If I could sell this house, and move I would.. this is getting insane!
Anyone who voted for that thing now cannot complain -- they will find themselves paying through the nose --- of course they were going to raise that tax as soon as they could.

Ridiculous, because we're paying four times what normal people pay for property taxes and we're getting what in return??

Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikat1205 View Post
this is interesting, because the defense of el paso's high taxes is that texas does not have a state income tax, but yet, the property taxes are not as high as they are in el paso in other parts of the very same state. so now, again, why is it that el paso property taxes are so high? i can't figure it out.

Our sales tax is one of the very highest there is, it more than makes up for property taxes. I think you could come out ahead paying income tax and having a more reasonable sales tax.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
ridiculous, because we're paying four times what normal people pay for property taxes and we're getting what in return??
Exactly!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I would pay higher income taxes in NM than I pay now. Not a good thing. Secondly, been there, lived there, bought the t-shirt.... and ran out of water 4 times. I got tired of supporting the well drillers.......so to El Paso I went.

And yes, Dona Ana County home prices are MUCH higher than ELP. Too much.. for what you get.

BTW, if you work in TX and live in NM, you still pay NM income tax.

What started all of this, is that my best friend and I.. are both sick and tired of New England. She lived in ABQ and I in ELP. She's finally rid of her brood.. and we both have tel-commute jobs.. so we can live anywhere. We're both tired of the NE winters.........taxes...........dirty communities....crime........
so we both decided we needed to be somewhere else. ABQ is out of the question!!! So that's why I started looking at ELP again. Right now I pay $427 dollars a year just on personal property tax for my car!!!!!!!!!!!! Just for fun I called my insurance company to find out how much car insurance would be at my old address in ELP. $522 a year. I pay $998 now.

Four things in this world I will not tolerate: high incidence of tornados, earthquakes and hurricanes, and snowy winters. Which leaves out a good part of the country!

I guess no place is perfect.
What insurance company is that? $522 a year for auto insurance? Here??? That looks on the low side to me.

The NE part of the country though probably does have us beat on costs, so would California but for the wages differences, you might not find yourself so much ahead here. The weather though is hard to beat.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What insurance company is that? $522 a year for auto insurance? Here??? That looks on the low side to me.

The NE part of the country though probably does have us beat on costs, so would California but for the wages differences, you might not find yourself so much ahead here. The weather though is hard to beat.

USAA is my insurer...for everything. If I didn't have them, my auto insurance would run around $1800 here... with all my discounts.

My wages stay the same no matter where I live.. as I work from home.....I am free to live wherever I want to... as long as it is North America. I just want to keep more of them! My company has tele-commuters in all 48 contiguous states.

How is homeowner's insurance? Here in the Ocean State many were dropped by their insurers over the fear we'd be hit by a Cat 5 hurricane. (It's never happened, but they figure we are due... huh?). Once your dropped, it's into the high risk insurance pool.... outrageous deductibles too. So if your home and contents are valued at $500,000.........your deductible is anywhere from 10-15% of the stated value... depending how close you are to the water.

Here it's 7% sales tax.. and 7% state income tax rate. Each community establishes it's own local property tax rate. Some are as high as $75.00 per 1000 at 50% of valuation. The lowest I can think of.. off the top of my head is around $12 per 1000 at 100% of valuation. We don't have a homestead exemption. Some communities offer a measly $5000 off your valuation for veterans and widows of veterans..... and then the over 65's get a break, but only if their income is below a certain level in some communities. Luckily we have no county government to support.. the State is bad enough!

And then there's home heating oil.............I used just under 1100 ga last year.. and it wasn't particularly a cold winter. Per ga last year average about $2.79..........it's about $4.29/ga right now. Not looking forward to winter!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
USAA is my insurer...for everything. If I didn't have them, my auto insurance would run around $1800 here... with all my discounts.

My wages stay the same no matter where I live.. as I work from home.....I am free to live wherever I want to... as long as it is North America. I just want to keep more of them! My company has tele-commuters in all 48 contiguous states.

How is homeowner's insurance? Here in the Ocean State many were dropped by their insurers over the fear we'd be hit by a Cat 5 hurricane. (It's never happened, but they figure we are due... huh?). Once your dropped, it's into the high risk insurance pool.... outrageous deductibles too. So if your home and contents are valued at $500,000.........your deductible is anywhere from 10-15% of the stated value... depending how close you are to the water.

Here it's 7% sales tax.. and 7% state income tax rate. Each community establishes it's own local property tax rate. Some are as high as $75.00 per 1000 at 50% of valuation. The lowest I can think of.. off the top of my head is around $12 per 1000 at 100% of valuation. We don't have a homestead exemption. Some communities offer a measly $5000 off your valuation for veterans and widows of veterans..... and then the over 65's get a break, but only if their income is below a certain level in some communities. Luckily we have no county government to support.. the State is bad enough!

And then there's home heating oil.............I used just under 1100 ga last year.. and it wasn't particularly a cold winter. Per ga last year average about $2.79..........it's about $4.29/ga right now. Not looking forward to winter!
You might do fine since your wages can support a NE cost of living. You may come out ahead -- it all depends. Heating would certainly be a big chunk that you wouldn't have here. You can live well enough on a little heat in the winter here - about a month and a half is all I have a heater on, and you really don't need air conditioning but that can depend on the individual. Some people of course like to sit inside when it's 95 degrees and have the thermostat at 65. If you don't use air conditioning, it can cost a family about $60 in the summer for electricity. If you run a swamp cooler all day add another $20 but if you use refrigerated air then it's probably double. I spend about $250 for heat for the winter but I could live on less.

Home owners insurance is around $500 to $800 a year -- depending of course. Some people probably pay considerably less.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 AM

729 posts, read 2,066,634 times
Tax hikes are fact anywhere. We are getting one too soon. This is no reason anybody should leave or deter re-locating to ELP.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Or you can work in EP with no state income tax and live in NM with low property taxes. Don't ask me about the Gas costs though
Sorry it does not work that way. If you work in EP but live in new mexico you still pay NM income tax.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Sorry it does not work that way. If you work in EP but live in new mexico you still pay NM income tax.
Thanks for the clarification but how does New mexico know you are employed in texas even though you live in New mexico ? The texas employers do not send their federal employer tax ID to New mexico. How does New mexico Taxation and Revenue even know you live in New mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso