U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 78,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
That was a great article and video and I do believe that it is going to get better for our downtown and the city as a whole. The private investors currently investing in downtown El Paso are not kidding around when they talk about seeing a brighter future for downtown and they are putting their money where their mouths are by buying up chunks of downtown buildings and properties.

I don't blame a lot of the folks that believe that nothing will change. This city has disappointed many people in the past with empty promises..so I can understand them. But with so much change coming up in the near future for El Paso..I am one of those who do think that this city will rise once again.

BTW, has anyone seen how the new doubletree hotel is looking lately in downtown? It is starting to look really nice from the westside of the building.
Chuco, I sure hope you are right. It's great that the do nothing land owners like the Dipps are no longer owners of the old Hilton/Plaza Hotel. To let this fine building sit there and deteriorate into a shabby ghetto like facility was pitiful. Hopefully the new owners will do something to develop an upscale, improved down town district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,829,832 times
Did the article mention how the 25% cut to the military will affect us and the falling value of the peso?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,322,917 times
Many towns have tried re-vitalizing their downtowns with varying degrees of success. El Paso's downtown should improve somewhat but there is not enough evidence to say it will be a boom.

Miner do you have some special expertise in this matter? or interest? Be honest with us.

The doubletree is a project by Atty Jim Scherr a friend for the past 30 years or so. He was crafty with the financing. Unless all El Paso's improvements come with local money from people who do not invest elsewhere , ELP will be somewhat subjected to national trends. The operative word is somewhat.

I thought of getting the building at 1217 Mesa but the agents lied about the condition etc. I had friends and wanted to see the roof - they forgot the ladder. I then asked when it had been last fixed they said 2 years ago - I asked for the roofer Sunland Roofing. I called Sunland roofing and a lady answered that it had been her husband's business but it closed when he died --- 8 years ago! Some of the tenants let me see their apts - every one had a leak.

William Abraham has some interesting land and properties but he doesnt answer his phone or his mail and he's let them deteriorate substantially. Historic properties - the city needs to get on him.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM

44 posts, read 78,703 times
Default Revitalizing Downtown

I still resent the fact that the Abrahams can purchase these old building and let them deteriorate for years. They pay minimal property taxes far below true value. Makes one wonder what ties they have to the Central Appraisal District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Many towns have tried re-vitalizing their downtowns with varying degrees of success. El Paso's downtown should improve somewhat but there is not enough evidence to say it will be a boom.

Miner do you have some special expertise in this matter? or interest? Be honest with us.

The doubletree is a project by Atty Jim Scherr a friend for the past 30 years or so. He was crafty with the financing. Unless all El Paso's improvements come with local money from people who do not invest elsewhere , ELP will be somewhat subjected to national trends. The operative word is somewhat.

I thought of getting the building at 1217 Mesa but the agents lied about the condition etc. I had friends and wanted to see the roof - they forgot the ladder. I then asked when it had been last fixed they said 2 years ago - I asked for the roofer Sunland Roofing. I called Sunland roofing and a lady answered that it had been her husband's business but it closed when he died --- 8 years ago! Some of the tenants let me see their apts - every one had a leak.

William Abraham has some interesting land and properties but he doesnt answer his phone or his mail and he's let them deteriorate substantially. Historic properties - the city needs to get on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or