U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 PM

11,215 posts, read 7,606,961 times

Advertisements

I have talked to various people about El Paso as I am sure many of you have also.
Many don't know much about the city or think it is just a typical border town. In europe they still think its the wild wild west. In the northern US, some barely know the city. Due to its isolated locality, many Texans have never been to El Paso . El Paso does indeed have an image problem......

Please discuss and comment below and add on how this image can be changed

Last edited by WildWestDude; 08-05-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 05:53 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,182,649 times
Many of my neighbors here in Houston have not been past San Antonio! Some have only driven through. This tells you something if you read between the lines.

ELP needs something to attract tourists. Invariably, the fact that Mexico is right next door does not ring as it used to. What I mean is that with the immigration issues right now, border fence, etc, most American's are not too excited about hearing about Mexico right now, one of the points that travel agents tout of ELP.

I think ELP needs to follow through with the downtown development project, the new upscale shopping center at the old Farah plant. And as Muhnay and others have noted, they need to get a river walk going.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_River_Walk

I think that the citizens of ELP need to bite the bullet, allow for the sale of bonds if needed, in order to see improvement. Yes, I hate taxes as much as the next guy, but you have to start somewhere. Imagine if they did this 20 years ago, what would ELP be like now? If you (citizens of ELP) never start, of course it will never happen. Don't wait for someone to drop it in your lap, it won't happen. Even that businessman in ELP from Asarco wants something in return for his investment, he won't just give ELP a property because he wants a warm fuzzy.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,200,374 times
Don't dismiss Europeans... they love the western half of the US.. it's more popular than the Northeast.

If only it were warmer in winter... they'd be buying property like mad...especially with today's exchange rates.

I do wish they'd stop building houses which cover most of the lot. That's a real turnoff for transplants. Where I live,the footprint can only cover 20% of the lot dimensions.... and getting variances is difficult at best. Also two-story houses do not attract the senior and family markets. I know they are built because the sq footage is cheaper. Funny, how two story homes seems to be languishing on the market right now.

When I was a teen we used to go down to Myrtle Beach, SC. What a dump. You should see it now. A Branson by the Sea. So.. be careful what you wish for when it comes to tourism.

The commerical sprawl on the westside is disgustingly ugly. It was nicer 23 years ago when I left.

Given a choice, I'd go after the senior market for relocation. Remember, it's the largest growing segment of the population. They add to the tax base.
They don't overpopulate the schools. Sure, you'd need more hospital beds.. but with more healthcare facilities... more doctors and other healthcare professionals.. as well as lawyers....financial advisers.. and related service industries... you add to the tax base as well. Most importantly, nobody would be giving any large tax incentives to any one company to relocate. Tax incentives which the residents pay for in the long run. We, in RI. have been paying for these so-called tax "incentives" for years.. with no discernable boost to our economy.. just increased taxes which we pay through the nose and only receive reductions in services in return.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:46 PM

I even remember trying to send a nice post card to a friend living in Europe and not being able to find something that looked nice.
We even lack that!

Does our convention and visitors bureau need to do a better job in talking up the city? Is a new catchy ad campaign needed? If so what could it be about?
Does this bad image need to change first in order to get things going..........or is it the other way around?

Last edited by WildWestDude; 08-05-2008 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I even remember trying to send a nice post card to a friend living in Europe and not being able to find something that looked nice.
We even lack that!

Does our convention and visitors bureau need to do a better job in talking up the city? Is a new catchy ad campaign needed? If so what could it be about?
Does this bad image need to change first in order to get things going..........or is it the other way around?

What? You couldn't find a cool post card????

Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 AM

5,080 posts, read 7,665,726 times
I meet people all the time who tell me they know or knew someone in El Paso, and they always talk about El Paso as some place to escape from.

I read in Travel Magazine, there was a guy traveling from Savanna GA, to San Francisco CA, and all along his journey he gave vivid reports of the places along I-10 he saw or stopped at. He gets to El Paso and says.. Nothing worth mentioning in El Paso, so I traveled onto Las Cruces.

I read in another magazine, That El Paso is dirty, run down, Full of Mexicans, and not some place they felt safe stopping.

This is the image we give off. We need to give people reason to stop and visit, or want to live here, other than cheep houses... because thats starting to no longer be the case.

We need to give major business reason to stay on this side of the border, and employ our American people, instead of some meager side job that feeds off the Business in Mexico. We need to give reason for our kids to stay here.. they are leaving in droves.

We need to improve our outward image, so when people think El Paso, TX they think OASIS in the desert.

El Paso is filled with history, one we should embrace and use to draw in tourist... We need to get Legalized Gambling in El Paso TX, and be the Vegas of Texas.

We need to quit kissing the butt of Paul Foster.. he is not our savior, and to praise him as such makes me sick to my stomach. It takes more than one man to change the image of a city.. it takes the people as a whole to do that.

We need to find a way to address the Illegal crossings and yet stay connected to our sister city of Juarez. We need to address the Spanish/English thing, and stop catering to Spanish as if it was the new national language. We need to raise the local minimum wage to 9 dollars..

El Paso has many problems, but we don't have to worry about many major mother nature disasters here. We have great weather not too hot like Las Vegas or Phoenix. Not too cold like up north, and not to humid like out south. So if we can provide attractions that would draw people here like Vegas, or Miami, or Other cities that draw in tourist revenue, El Paso can be that OASIS in the desert. And not just for the military, but for everyone.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,051,215 times
I read in another magazine, That El Paso is dirty, run down, Full of Mexicans, and not some place they felt safe stopping.

WOW!! Muhnay which magazines are you suscribing to! I didnt know the Minutemen had their own magazine!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM

283 posts, read 1,154,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Many of my neighbors here in Houston have not been past San Antonio! Some have only driven through. This tells you something if you read between the lines.
Nothing wrong with El Paso. El Paso is just a long way to drive for a lot of other Texans. That's my reason for not having visited. I certainly don't think of it as dirty or in any bad way. (I'm only a few hours from Dallas yet have never visited there. Been THROUGH a time or 2 but never stopped).
El Paso is closer to San Diego that it is to Houston.
Texarkana is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Great points Muhnay and nice postcard Malamute!

* what a typical postcard looks like

Last edited by WildWestDude; 08-06-2008 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,182,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Nothing wrong with El Paso. El Paso is just a long way to drive for a lot of other Texans. That's my reason for not having visited. I certainly don't think of it as dirty or in any bad way. (I'm only a few hours from Dallas yet have never visited there. Been THROUGH a time or 2 but never stopped).
El Paso is closer to San Diego that it is to Houston.
Texarkana is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso.
I recall reading a story where an Amtrak train broke down near Texarkana. The engineers had it all figured out, and called their offices in ELP to get a new engine sent overnight. They were shocked to be told to call the Chicago office instead because it was closer! A true, yet useless story, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or