U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 04:37 PM

50 posts, read 163,449 times

Advertisements

hello all, i am considering moving to el paso from port arthur and i was kinda wondering how the job market is there. I have a bachelor's degree in history, but i don't necessarily have to teach for work. I recently tried to move to Eagle Pass because I really wanted to live on a border town but it has not worked out, i could not find a place to live and people would just not give me a job because 1. I do not know anyone here. 2. They would always ask me why did i move here from Port arthur.

Kinda tired of those questions..just wondering about the job market and will i have to deal with the same issues if I move to El paso? And how is juarez? Is it really as dangerous as people make it out to be? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,665,726 times
Expect the same here.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 PM

200 posts, read 516,754 times
Ditto...unless you teach.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:42 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,200,374 times
Once upon a time.. and I hate to admit just how many years ago it was, I decided to move to El Paso. I'd had it with the bright city lights and insanity of Los Angeles. I worked in broadcast media.

Nearest relations were in Dona Ana County, NM. I cold-called every radio and tv station in El Paso until I had a job offer. I commuted for two weeks from Dona Ana County, NM. Then found an ELP apartment, moved in... and the rest, as they say is history.

I spoke no Spanish..... and still don't. But it never held me back. I would have stayed except for a very nasty, public divorce.

History degree? But what can you do????????

Old 08-10-2008, 09:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward237828 View Post
hello all, i am considering moving to el paso from port arthur and i was kinda wondering how the job market is there. I have a bachelor's degree in history, but i don't necessarily have to teach for work. I recently tried to move to Eagle Pass because I really wanted to live on a border town but it has not worked out, i could not find a place to live and people would just not give me a job because 1. I do not know anyone here. 2. They would always ask me why did i move here from Port arthur.

Kinda tired of those questions..just wondering about the job market and will i have to deal with the same issues if I move to El paso? And how is juarez? Is it really as dangerous as people make it out to be? Thanks...
If for whatever reason you really want to live on a border town then this one is as good (or bad) as any. You might as well go for a teaching job, the one good thing is that with the Fort Bliss expansion, there are some jobs being created.

El Paso is kind of good that way -- most people here are not from here and if they are, their parents aren't from here.

If you're really into living on the border then you must already be prepared for high taxes and less income but with the military arriving, I think the job market is better.

Juarez has had over 700 murders so far this year. I think most people would say that is quite a few. I know people who were born and raised there that say they won't go back even for a visit although I'm sure there are still those who would tell you that the over 700 murders is really no big deal and things are really perfectly fine over there.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 PM

50 posts, read 163,449 times
Exclamation still looking..

As for what i do, i did teach last year. For me, it really doesn't matter what i do as long as i am between the 9-10 dollar range. It just seems that when i try to look for a job in eagle pass, people are like..why did you move here? and people will not hire me even for the most basic of jobs(fast food is an example). My whole thing was to live on the border but now i am not so sure. I have a GOOD job waiting for me back home, but if i go back home, i will have money but i will be MISERABLE. If i stay here, happy but poor..go figure. I just want to know that i can find a decent job if i can go..

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
As for what i do, i did teach last year. For me, it really doesn't matter what i do as long as i am between the 9-10 dollar range. It just seems that when i try to look for a job in eagle pass, people are like..why did you move here? and people will not hire me even for the most basic of jobs(fast food is an example). My whole thing was to live on the border but now i am not so sure. I have a GOOD job waiting for me back home, but if i go back home, i will have money but i will be MISERABLE. If i stay here, happy but poor..go figure. I just want to know that i can find a decent job if i can go..

Then I think you should try it. What do you have to lose? If you're okay with $9 to $10 an hour and have a teaching degree or even if you have any degree, you should be okay for work here.

The only thing could be the Spanish -- but even for that, there are some restaurants in some areas of town that don't require it, and a few other jobs that will hire English speakers. Job turnover in those jobs is quite high, a lot of students are leaving for college which would open up jobs, and you can always try to get back into teaching or substituting.

I came here just to try it and I ended up liking it -- you can't beat the weather. You can always just try it and then go somewhere else if you feel like it.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 PM

105 posts, read 441,275 times
Quote:
Actually, in very few cities will you find decent pay with just a BA in history. I'm assuming you're certified to teach in Texas, so, if you are, you might be able to find something in the local school districts.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "decent," though. If you provide a better idea as to what fields you like to work in, we might be able to provide better info for you.

As far as the private sector goes, unless you have something to offer a company, then you really can't expect to find great employment options. Maybe at a Barnes and Noble, or a Starbucks, perhaps. BA degrees don't mean too much these days (and I have one), so you may want to academically build on what you have or maybe get some skills training.

In any case, El Paso is a low-wage city. There are jobs, but mostly service industry, unless you want to take a job with one of the school districts or government entities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso