Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
By "infrastructure" I think she basically means water lines. Sewer service, electricity...I don't think the property can be sold to live on under Texas state law if it's under 10 acres in size and there's no access to potable water.
The law was passed, as I recall, to avoid the "barrio" style developments that occurred at one time along the Rio Grande side of the USA. Lots were as small as the developer could make them and sold without access to any of the usual utilities or paved streets, leaving people too poor to afford drilling wells and installing septic and electric without services.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,654 times
Anyone who owns property in Sunland Estates should be aware that it's worth basically nothing. My father purchased land there in the 1970s and apparently it was a land scam, undeveloped land out in the desert. The current assessed value of the property he purchased is $7.00, you read that correctly, 7 DOLLARS!!! My father has now passed away and when I was going through his old records, started researching this. The property taxes for the last two years have been $0.37 per year. It costs more for the stamp on the envelope to mail in the tax payment, what a joke, huh?!

Guess we are stuck with the land for now.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:32 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
horizoncommunities.com

Gee that website with lakes and trees makes it seem like an oasis. It says there are over 20,000 people and it will grow to 65,000 .They have a board of directors and staff all with mug shots. Although I pictured them with orange jerseys and numbers - they could be legit.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
horizoncommunities.com

Gee that website with lakes and trees makes it seem like an oasis. It says there are over 20,000 people and it will grow to 65,000 .They have a board of directors and staff all with mug shots. Although I pictured them with orange jerseys and numbers - they could be legit.
This thread is NOT about Horizon City, which is a large development abutting El Paso and in El Paso County.

Sunland Estates are in Hudspeth County in the vicinity of the old settlement of Sierra Blanca, TX. There was once a web site advertising the potential for development but assume it's no longer viable. As K. Doherty confirms, Sunland Estates properties have always been virtually worthless.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:26 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
This thread is NOT about Horizon City, which is a large development abutting El Paso and in El Paso County.

Sunland Estates are in Hudspeth County in the vicinity of the old settlement of Sierra Blanca, TX. There was once a web site advertising the potential for development but assume it's no longer viable. As K. Doherty confirms, Sunland Estates properties have always been virtually worthless.

Horizoncommunities.com is the website for the Horizon Communities Improvement Association, which is the neighborhood association for Horizon City and the subdivisions around it that were platted but never developed by the Horizon Corporation back in the 1960s in east El Paso County (and I think maybe also extreme west Hudspeth County, just beyond where Horizon Boulevard ends at the county line). The HCIA is basically trying to clean up the Horizon Corporation's mess. If you or your heirs own any of the Horizon Corporation's land in that area, depending on where it is, you might be able to hand it over so they can put together a tract for legitimate real estate developers to build houses and stuff on following Texas state law.

But I don't think the HCIA has anything to do with the similar subdivisions around Sierra Blanca and Dell City.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Ah my apologies. Someone else had posted the link and I thought I'd take a look. It's all way too far east for me.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,393 times
Default sunland property

Quote:
Originally Posted by szorf View Post
My dad bought some lots in Sunland Estates in El Paso County 46 years ago. A sales agency has contacted us about selling the lots, but we have no idea what they would be worth. The agent told us it is for RV living. Does anyone have any information or can tell us how to go about finding out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

i just recieved a tax statement about sunland and i was seeking to find out more about the land. My father has passed away and i did not know he had bought this land. apparently it has little value because the taxes are so low.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,076 times
I just want to say I live in horizon city and in four years this place has grown 90 percent it was 4 miles of desert between my house and I10 now its all fully developed

Old 03-15-2015, 11:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,830,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate12345 View Post
I just want to say I live in horizon city and in four years this place has grown 90 percent it was 4 miles of desert between my house and I10 now its all fully developed
It looks like they're concentrating on developing the area from I-10 north to Horizon Airport along Eastlake Boulevard; most of the land to the east of Horizon City has these problems with development that have been discussed extensively in this and other threads. Maybe when the area along Eastlake is built up Horizon City can start annexing and developing the land around Sparks and El Paso Hills to the south, maybe annex those two colonias also. And then it could end up having to do leapfrogging development eastward along Horizon Boulevard anywhere it can until it gets past all these ghost subdivisions, well out into Hudspeth County, while the HCIA tries to assemble these never-developed subdivisions from long ago into developable tracts of land, bit by agonizingly painstaking bit over decades.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,786 times
Default Sunland Estates Map

Hello everyone. Here is a picture of the plotted lay out everyone has been looking for. Does anyone on this forum own in 97 Sunland Estates lot numbers 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,15,16 or 17? If so I would like to speak you further in detail with what you plan to do with it. Thanks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Sunland Estates-sunbland-estates.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso