U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
83 posts, read 375,779 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Just a few questions that I see is quite redundant but I would like to ask anyway. You local folks from El Paso would obviously know. If one does not have very high expectations for pay and is fluent Spanish/English what would the market look like there for a job? I personally have lots of customer service and retail sales experience.
My wife is Mexican and I'm a " Gringo " but over the phone people mistake me for a Mexican because I don't have the " Gringo " accent when I speak. We love Mexico and Mexican people. How would we fair their in El Paso?
We are eventually going to make the move to Mexico but I wanted to stay in the states for a couple of years longer. I would appreciate any responses. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
 
Location: el paso texas
2,625 posts, read 10,052,456 times
Reputation: 1848
You'll love El Paso, El Paso is like lil Mexico, but alot safer, my ex sister in law, was married to a gringo & he loved, the whole family atmosphere. His parents lived in California, all his brothers & sisters, where spread out all throughout the u.s, so to him it was rare to have all his family together. He loved Mexican food, that fool, would put anything inside a tortilla, even "caldo de pollo", im serious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepedemaz View Post
Just a few questions that I see is quite redundant but I would like to ask anyway. You local folks from El Paso would obviously know. If one does not have very high expectations for pay and is fluent Spanish/English what would the market look like there for a job? I personally have lots of customer service and retail sales experience.
My wife is Mexican and I'm a " Gringo " but over the phone people mistake me for a Mexican because I don't have the " Gringo " accent when I speak. We love Mexico and Mexican people. How would we fair their in El Paso?
We are eventually going to make the move to Mexico but I wanted to stay in the states for a couple of years longer. I would appreciate any responses. Thank you!!!
You sound like you'd be a good fit. You'll feel like you are already in Mexico, and there are plenty of jobs for Spanish speakers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
83 posts, read 375,779 times
Reputation: 44
Hey LEVOW thanks for the reply! I think those tortillas would last about a second or 2 before it fell apart. We are hoping to do this in about 6 months or so for the big move. I lived in Mexico for awhile and I liked it. So I am hoping things will go well there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2008, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
83 posts, read 375,779 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You sound like you'd be a good fit. You'll feel like you are already in Mexico, and there are plenty of jobs for Spanish speakers here.
Thanks malamute for your reply! I was looking on the web at jobs in el paso and it seems there is a fair amount of jobs for sales or customer service. Another thing I know only about 30% of job openings actually get on the web and the rest is by networking. I visited twice very briefly and enjoyed every second. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
83 posts, read 375,779 times
Reputation: 44
Does the blowing sand there really cause problems? Is it seasonal? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepedemaz View Post
Does the blowing sand there really cause problems? Is it seasonal? Thanks...
It's seasonal, we might get 3 good dust storms a year and they cause very few problems. Some people with bad roofs might have some problems from wind damage but the storms here are nothing like what you read about in places that have tornadoes and hurricanes and blizzards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
83 posts, read 375,779 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's seasonal, we might get 3 good dust storms a year and they cause very few problems. Some people with bad roofs might have some problems from wind damage but the storms here are nothing like what you read about in places that have tornadoes and hurricanes and blizzards.
Thanks malamute. I am reading all the negative and positive stuff about el paso and that was one of them. Thanks for responding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Reputation: 22159
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepedemaz View Post
Thanks malamute. I am reading all the negative and positive stuff about el paso and that was one of them. Thanks for responding!
We don't get nearly the weather that Minneapolis does. I'm sure you get winds up to 40 mph with gusts of 50 or 60 -- probably with sleet or snow instead of dust. In the spring we get windy days but really few true dust storms, most of the times the sky is blue and the wind just blows litter around but once in a while the wind kind of sucks up a bunch of dust and the sky turns a kind of tan-blue or gray-brown-blue - - drab.

It's not the kind of hard wind you get in some places where you get pelted with pieces of ice or gravel. It's a fine dust -- silt --- that gets in your eyes, mouth, nose, hair and there's a high howling that goes on for a few hours, usually dying down by sunset. It's not particularly enjoyable unless you like picturing yourself in some old Western making your way through a dust storm and tumbleweeds blowing past in which case it can be kind of romantic. The day after a dust storm is especially brilliant and fresh and I'm not sure why that is. We haven't had one of the really bad dust storms for years, mostly just some good windy days. Just a break in the near perfect weather we've become accustomed to having.

The rest of the time, spring is fantastic, summers are great, we have an extra season called the monsoon or rainy season -- very unlike our May and June summer. May and June are dry and warm, July turns humid and then the rains start and they go into August and things are humid and warm except by mid-August it starts cooling down becoming even chilly at night.

Autumn extends up until the week of Christmas and then you turn the heater on at least at night until early February. You get some "cold" days where the high might be 45 degrees and it freezes at night, or it freezes at night and is in the 60's in the daytime. Just enough cold weather to know it's January and not May.

I kind of like dust storms because you know warm weather and summer are on their way. And like I said because they're a break in our otherwise great weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 PM
 
Location: DENVER
1,437 posts, read 4,042,554 times
Reputation: 980
when we do have dust storms ,we have some of the coolest sunsets you'll ever see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top