U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 PM

246 posts, read 517,362 times

Advertisements

Well with the new Federal Courthouse going up, the new Doubletree Hotel and the Downtown Revitalization Downtown should be more lit up at night than it is right now. Do they even light up the Wells Fargo Building anymore? All I see is the the title at the top and thats it. No wonder we are always voted the worst skyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:05 AM

729 posts, read 1,770,462 times
I know the Franklins are not included as a "skline". But you gotta admit that they sure add some beauty to existing one.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:35 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
I much prefer El Paso's skyline with the mountain in it to something like this:

[removed]

Why don't all you skyscrape-lovers just move to where some are?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint

Old 08-28-2008, 11:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
Well hell, even Amarillo has one building taller than ours, Midland has a nice skyline as well. Ours is pretty vanilla, and small.
That's got to be sad, when a city as lame as Amarillo has one building taller than the Wells Fargo tower.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 PM

195 posts, read 569,286 times
Once again this topic is about skylines, not scenery. Our mountains are cool as heck, and the scenery is nice. However, the whole, "voted worst skyline in Texas," thread is about our weak skyline. You can't say that our skyline is awesome, because it just honest to god isn't!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,147,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
That's got to be sad, when a city as lame as Amarillo has one building taller than the Wells Fargo tower.

Amarillo's tallest building is taller than Albuquerque's also and Midland would crap on ABQ and El Paso's skyline if the town was a little larger, imagine if Midland was our size.

Last edited by desert sun; 08-28-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfmccoy View Post
Once again this topic is about skylines, not scenery. Our mountains are cool as heck, and the scenery is nice. However, the whole, "voted worst skyline in Texas," thread is about our weak skyline. You can't say that our skyline is awesome, because it just honest to god isn't!
I am one who prefers scenery over skyscrapers. Here the mountain is our skyline, you really shouldn't try to build buildings taller than it. El Paso simply isn't the place for a "skyline" like Chicago has because our town has to be wrapped around the mountain, spread out. Unless you tear down the mountain, then the population of El Paso has to be spread out. It's not just the mountain, there's a border meaning our downtown is destined to be small and the population centers miles off.

Geography as much as anything will keep our downtown small, especially with the price of gas, you're going to see people stay closer to their vecinities. In some ways large population growth has made our downtown less important since that growth has to go out, who would want to drive from George Dieter or Woodrow Bean to go downtown? And with Loop 375, and Transmountain connecting West with NE and East, there is less need for people to even drive through downtown.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,147,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I am one who prefers scenery over skyscrapers. Here the mountain is our skyline, you really shouldn't try to build buildings taller than it. El Paso simply isn't the place for a "skyline" like Chicago has because our town has to be wrapped around the mountain, spread out. Unless you tear down the mountain, then the population of El Paso has to be spread out. It's not just the mountain, there's a border meaning our downtown is destined to be small and the population centers miles off.

Geography as much as anything will keep our downtown small, especially with the price of gas, you're going to see people stay closer to their vecinities. In some ways large population growth has made our downtown less important since that growth has to go out, who would want to drive from George Dieter or Woodrow Bean to go downtown? And with Loop 375, and Transmountain connecting West with NE and East, there is less need for people to even drive through downtown.

you can still have that designated section of downtown with some good looking skyscrappers and still have the mountians,the 2 just dont effect each other.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:27 AM

38 posts, read 85,284 times
I know skyline refers to mostly buildings, but I really prefer this nice clean sky to a bunch of skyscrapers:

Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,182,649 times
Default Big Skies, Big Mountains

One thing I noticed almost immediately after I left El Paso was that I missed the big skies!

Being in a big city you see tall buildings, tall trees, not complaining about that, but just as those of you living in El Paso might not realize/appreciate the big open skies, those of us in big cities might not notice the big open skies. Not until you get out into the open, West Texas in particular.

For me, the big skies always remind me of how small we are on this earth, in El Paso it's not hard to forget, but in a city like Houston where it's flat, all you se are trees ahead of you, or tall buildings, so you don't get a true idea of how big things are.

This argument of which skyline is best is nonsense. El Paso's downtown skyline is what it is, that's all. Not the best, not the worst, just El Paso. All skylines are different, none are ugly in my opinion. I agree with most that the mountains are also part of the scene, most big cities don't have that backdrop and it's great that El Paso does, it gives one a better sense of depth, and of size.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-31-2008 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso