U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Las Cruces, NM
195 posts, read 571,481 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

That's why there's that saying, "When you leave El Paso and go to the real world!" It's sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Among nation's poorest cities, El Paso ranks a notorious 4th - El Paso Times

Not very encouraging. I get frustrated about these things. Kinda puts a damper on moving plans.

I had a friend just come back from ELP. He spent about three weeks there. He said after a week or so he realized he started to feel depressed being there. He said he got bummed out hearing about how poor the city is and how there are hardly any good jobs to offer.

I dont know anymore.
We also came out way up there in property taxes. We have one of the lowest incomes, highest welfare and poverty rates, but also sky high property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 08:24 AM
 
38 posts, read 85,625 times
Reputation: 29
I think poverty is relative. El Paso ranks low because OVERALL our average salaries are low.

However, I have lived in other Texas cities and have seen neighborhoods so scary and ugly (in which people perhaps earn more on average than El Pasoans) that would make you quiver. I have yet to see a neighborhood like that in El Paso. We have good quality of life in a way, because our city is very safe, the commutes are short compared to big cities, traffic is not that much of a problem.

The only thing the city should improve is property taxes. If they were lower, it might attract wealthier retirees and improve some of the economic conditions of the area, and not to mention encourage natives to stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 08:52 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooleniumCrunch View Post
I think poverty is relative. El Paso ranks low because OVERALL our average salaries are low.

However, I have lived in other Texas cities and have seen neighborhoods so scary and ugly (in which people perhaps earn more on average than El Pasoans) that would make you quiver. I have yet to see a neighborhood like that in El Paso. We have good quality of life in a way, because our city is very safe, the commutes are short compared to big cities, traffic is not that much of a problem.

The only thing the city should improve is property taxes. If they were lower, it might attract wealthier retirees and improve some of the economic conditions of the area, and not to mention encourage natives to stay here.
True, we have a quality life as far as weather, tiny heating bills and we don't need expensive refrigerated air here which certainly helps to wallet.

Poverty here has a lot to do with personal choice, more so in some places. Those who stay in school, don't have babies by age 15, work hard, study, get a degree and so on do pretty well here. Many choose to party, drop out, stay illiterate and unable to speak English, live the welfare life through the single mother path. Kids who study in the schools here can go to out-of-state universities and do well but those who don't make an effort aren't going to succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,729,108 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Poverty here has a lot to do with personal choice, more so in some places. Those who stay in school, don't have babies by age 15, work hard, study, get a degree and so on do pretty well here. Many choose to party, drop out, stay illiterate and unable to speak English, live the welfare life through the single mother path. Kids who study in the schools here can go to out-of-state universities and do well but those who don't make an effort aren't going to succeed.
This has to be the biggest load of crap I have ever seen dropped in this forum. How can you say such things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 PM
 
38 posts, read 85,625 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
This has to be the biggest load of crap I have ever seen dropped in this forum. How can you say such things?
Come on, those statements are true (although not specific to El Paso). A lot of people who are poor and dependent on welfare are people who have made bad choices in life. People who dropped out of school, got pregnant early in life (condoms are much cheaper than babies, period), or people who despite having the chance never went to college.

I'm not talking about people with true disabilities or people who are hard-workers and have just had bad life circumstances, I'm talking about people who have had the chance to choose well and yet they did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 03:31 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
This has to be the biggest load of crap I have ever seen dropped in this forum. How can you say such things?
Look around you. Any normal IQ, physically-abled person here could do just fine. Kids with normal IQ who don't drop out of school -- and especially those who make the effort to learn a trade or go to college, wait until marriage to start having kids and of course hold down a job will live a comfortable middle class life.

The so-called poor here that choose to bring children into the world when they have no means to support them, or use drugs, party instead of holding down jobs, figure they can drop out of school once they get their first part-time job or first baby will not end up doing well.

I'm sure all of us even know the ones who came over from Mexico with very little but a willingness to work hard who raised their children right and their children have all made it to a middle class lifestyle and their own retirement years were at least comfortable.

The problem I see is that so many people are living in the land of opportunity and they don't choose to make much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 59,046,729 times
Reputation: 22180
And I am just reminded of a family who told their kids that they have opportunities that do not exist for many such as where they came from and that they should never take that for granted and that they should study and work hard and be grateful every day that the country they now live in gives them such wonderful chances. Now if all parents were to do that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 AM
 
106 posts, read 239,382 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
In general, when cities shrink, poverty isn't far behind, for two reasons—one obvious, the other subtler. The obvious reason: urban populations fall because of relocation of industry and drop in labor demand; as jobs vanish, people living in a city get poorer. The subtler reason: declining areas also become magnets for poor people, attracted by cheap housing. This is exactly what happened to Buffalo, whose median home value is just $61,000, far below the state average of $260,000. More than 10% of Buffalo's residents in 2000, it's worth noting, had moved there since 1995. The influx of the poor reinforces a city's downward spiral, since it drives up public expenditures while doing little to expand the local tax base.
Can Buffalo Ever Come Back? - October 19, 2007 - The New York Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top