U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM

729 posts, read 1,769,975 times

Advertisements

Among nation's poorest cities, El Paso ranks a notorious 4th - El Paso Times

Not very encouraging. I get frustrated about these things. Kinda puts a damper on moving plans.

I had a friend just come back from ELP. He spent about three weeks there. He said after a week or so he realized he started to feel depressed being there. He said he got bummed out hearing about how poor the city is and how there are hardly any good jobs to offer.

I dont know anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM

714 posts, read 1,597,069 times
So...does UTEP playing Univ of Buffalo this week (also listed n the article as one of the poverty stricken cities) have any type of irony?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 AM

105 posts, read 441,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Among nation's poorest cities, El Paso ranks a notorious 4th - El Paso Times

Not very encouraging. I get frustrated about these things. Kinda puts a damper on moving plans.

I had a friend just come back from ELP. He spent about three weeks there. He said after a week or so he realized he started to feel depressed being there. He said he got bummed out hearing about how poor the city is and how there are hardly any good jobs to offer.

I dont know anymore.
I'm in El Paso and am depressed right now. This city's been on a pay/opportunity plateau for decades, and it's not changing soon. For all the good things has going for it, lack of real professional growth will always keep it in the doldrums.

If you're considering coming back--don't. Not yet, anyway. Not until this city starts to set its sights higher, and not until the stranglehold on wealth that is held by about ten families in this city is broken.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltep View Post
So...does UTEP playing Univ of Buffalo this week (also listed n the article as one of the poverty stricken cities) have any type of irony?
Hmmmm....The 1st Annual Poor Bowl?

It's got a nice ring to it.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM

714 posts, read 1,597,069 times
Default Bowl

But Buffalo has an NFL team. That should make some sort of difference in rankings.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWest View Post
I'm in El Paso and am depressed right now. This city's been on a pay/opportunity plateau for decades, and it's not changing soon. For all the good things has going for it, lack of real professional growth will always keep it in the doldrums.

If you're considering coming back--don't. Not yet, anyway. Not until this city starts to set its sights higher, and not until the stranglehold on wealth that is held by about ten families in this city is broken.
Wow that seems like a long time from now. I have a job that I can take with me to ELP. It's my wife's career what I worry about. She makes over 50K (with no degree) as an facilities administrator/hoteling coordinator for a large consulting and tax audit firm here in ATX. Not sure what kind of job market there is for that in ELP.

I hear that the call centers are bailing out too. If they leave then what? Those with medical backgrounds are sitting pretty in the near future. Unfortunately we are not a medical professionals.

!!!!!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Wow that seems like a long time from now. I have a job that I can take with me to ELP. It's my wife's career what I worry about. She makes over 50K (with no degree) as an facilities administrator/hoteling coordinator for a large consulting and tax audit firm here in ATX. Not sure what kind of job market there is for that in ELP.

I hear that the call centers are bailing out too. If they leave then what? Those with medical backgrounds are sitting pretty in the near future. Unfortunately we are not a medical professionals.

!!!!!
Rule of thumb for anyone moving to EP: Take your current salary at where you work now, and lop off about $10-20K. That'll give you a fairly accurate assessment of what a person's pay level can be when they move here. Your wife, if she finds a job, which is iffy, probably won't break the $40K/year mark. I know people who have BBA's and MBA's who would do handsprings if they broke the $50K/year mark.

This city's private sector is low wage. You could have business degrees from Wharton's and still have a hard time finding anything worthwhile. Most jobs here are government related.

Do you _have_ to come back to EP? Could you look at jobs in Phoenix, Tucson, or Albuquerque, or are you locked into coming to EP?

Sorry, I don't mean to be so gloomy, but in my 20+ years of living here, the city's just not getting any better.

If you're buddies with one of the ruling families in El Paso, though, you might be able to swing a great paying job, even if you're not qualified for it. In a way, it's kinda' like Mexico.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Rule of thumb for anyone moving to EP: Take your current salary at where you work now, and lop off about $10-20K. That'll give you a fairly accurate assessment of what a person's pay level can be when they move here. Your wife, if she finds a job, which is iffy, probably won't break the $40K/year mark. I know people who have BBA's and MBA's who would do handsprings if they broke the $50K/year mark.

This city's private sector is low wage. You could have business degrees from Wharton's and still have a hard time finding anything worthwhile. Most jobs here are government related.

Do you _have_ to come back to EP? Could you look at jobs in Phoenix, Tucson, or Albuquerque, or are you locked into coming to EP?

Sorry, I don't mean to be so gloomy, but in my 20+ years of living here, the city's just not getting any better.

If you're buddies with one of the ruling families in El Paso, though, you might be able to swing a great paying job, even if you're not qualified for it. In a way, it's kinda' like Mexico.

Well I dont have to..its more like I would like to. We would not move to any other city unless we absolutely had to. And PHX, Tucson, or ALB are at the top of that list.

Who are the ruling families in ELP? Can you say? Hunts? Ditmire's? Foster's?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well I dont have to..its more like I would like to. We would not move to any other city unless we absolutely had to. And PHX, Tucson, or ALB are at the top of that list.

Who are the ruling families in ELP? Can you say? Hunts? Ditmire's? Foster's?
Some of the more well-to-do families would be the Hunt's, Fosters, Rubin's, Sanders's, Hoy's, Ayoub's, and Dipp's. They're all well-connected to city government, own most of the real estate in EP (especially Sanders, Ayoub, Rubin), and pull most of the strings here in the city. The best way to get the jobs in this city that will actually _pay_ a decent wage is to get in good with those families. You can join up with the Paso del Norte Group (for a fee, of course), and network in that organization. The city's private sector is very incestuous--everyone knows everyone else, and there's an awful lot of backslapping and handshaking behind the scenes.

Of course, most El Pasoans are not in that group, so they get the scrap wages that the wealthy families dole out to them, usually underpaying skilled and educated workers by tens of thousands of dollars. Everyone here knows it, but there's such a sense of fatalism here that it's sad.

Trust me--look at PHX, Tucson, and ABQ. Pains me to say that, but unless things start changing in this city (and, no, I don't consider the millionaires and billionaires buying up downtown buildings for office space to be a singularly positive change), then things will just remain the same as they've been for some time: low wage levels and low levels of opportunity.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Some of the more well-to-do families would be the Hunt's, Fosters, Rubin's, Sanders's, Hoy's, Ayoub's, and Dipp's. They're all well-connected to city government, own most of the real estate in EP (especially Sanders, Ayoub, Rubin), and pull most of the strings here in the city. The best way to get the jobs in this city that will actually _pay_ a decent wage is to get in good with those families. You can join up with the Paso del Norte Group (for a fee, of course), and network in that organization. The city's private sector is very incestuous--everyone knows everyone else, and there's an awful lot of backslapping and handshaking behind the scenes.

Of course, most El Pasoans are not in that group, so they get the scrap wages that the wealthy families dole out to them, usually underpaying skilled and educated workers by tens of thousands of dollars. Everyone here knows it, but there's such a sense of fatalism here that it's sad.

Trust me--look at PHX, Tucson, and ABQ. Pains me to say that, but unless things start changing in this city (and, no, I don't consider the millionaires and billionaires buying up downtown buildings for office space to be a singularly positive change), then things will just remain the same as they've been for some time: low wage levels and low levels of opportunity.

HA! I have a connection...a very remote connection. I once taught an Ayoub daugther and her boyfriend how to play a song on piano and trumpet when she was in high school. Other than seeing her on tv whenever I go to ELP I have not seen her in person in years. Lol!!

Well Like I said I have a job I can take with me but you never know what might happen if I were too loose it.

Last edited by Smooth from ELP; 08-27-2008 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Removed first name of well known person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or