U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM

71 posts, read 302,182 times

Advertisements

We are one native of this area and one transplant. We stay here because our jobs really don't have much to do with El Paso itself. I find El Paso a pretty safe city and we have really nice neighbors. There are plenty of things to do around the area. All you have to do is drive a lot and we don't mind that at all. Eventually, we want to relocate to the Fort Worth area.

Last edited by eptex; 09-14-2008 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 06:28 PM

498 posts, read 1,107,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastania34 View Post
We just moved to el paso 2 month ago so i cant call myself as an lifelong elpaso resident but i love it here...I realy dont know why so many ppl seem to hate it here...I for myself and my family can say as of now we have not experienced anything bad or trastic here ( hope it stays that way) lol....We moved from upstate ny due to militar and at first i was not so keen by the idea to move here due to a lot of bad storys people were telling us before moving here...Now that we are here its like where do all these people come up with that stuff??? ... My kids are 19/9/7 and just started school 2 weeks ago...As of right now i can honestly say school is great as far as teachers / prinicipal etc ....My kids seem to love it here and said they never want to leave again lol...We on the Northeast side and its quiett , great neighbors, shopping plazas everywhere...The only thing we have to get used to is the hot weather compared to upstate ny but we getting there and its actually not all that bad....We even planning on buying a house here and become el paso resident for good...All i can say is El paso is one city that you just have to make the best of it and if you come here without all the negative and look for yourself its not that bad at all...Life is what u make it to be same as living in a city u dont know....But just me
I wish I was there because that is where I grew up and my parents went to Bowie High School..they are still together and living happily there in Central El Paso..I had to leave because I could not find a job there..but I still visit 4 times a year>..I was just there this September

Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 205,975 times
I hear that Malamute! I grew up here, attended grade school thru college here. I moved away for my job in the DFW area. With my husband being with an airline and gone so much, and me working part-time for the airlines, I thought maybe moving back to be near parents and grandmother would be great. I remember my mom telling me back in the 80's that EP was at least 4 years behind the "big" cities like Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin,etc... Now Being back here for 5 years now (Iwas gone for 10) I see it's just getting worse. My high school friends' mother told me she considered EP to be a boomerang city, because everyone who leaves, eventually comes back! For those of you who praise EP, kudos, I personally think it could be better here. Until the border problems are solved, we don't have chance in making this city better. There are positives, absolutely, but again they don't outweigh what I feel are the negatives! My husband who is originally from Jackson, WY, loves it here and hated DFW. So, I guess we're here until we put equity into our home and then up to ID, UT, or WY!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 PM
ZSP

1,566 posts, read 3,977,852 times
I came here as a young, 17 year old girl from northern KY, in 1968. Other than a few years spent elsewhere a time or two, I have been here, by choice.

Sure, I have my gripes, but overall, there's no place I'd rather be. I raised two great kids here - one teaches at the vo-tech high school up near Sierra Medical Ctr. and the other left for Houston in 92. I visit her a few times a year but it's way too big and busy for me.

I love the weather, am fortunate to live in a great area (Mountain Park) where it's quiet, peaceful and beautiful, was gainfully employed for 40 years without speaking Spanish, and I have no plans on leaving. I still love the diversity, beautiful deserts and mountains, the food, and our place in Cloudcroft is our home away from home on the weekends.

I always say that one has to live here for at least a year to fully appreciate the beauty of the desert southwest. That's all it took for me.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM

I didn't...the rest of my family did..However..I still will and forever make frequent visits there..my beloved hometown has the best MExican food in the world

Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 PM

24 posts, read 55,476 times
I love El Paso but I'm planning on leaving. Been here all my life but some of the things I dislike are the hot summers, lack of seasons... it's either hot, not as hot, or cold. I hate kfox during the rainy season. Oh man, I lose it when they break into a program to tell me it's raining in my neighborhood. Thanks kfox! There isn't a whole lot to do around here. Basic interactions with the police are typically unpleasant. The beautiful mountain that is illegal to hike in.

A few of the things I like are the people, the food, a lot of the culture, the diversity of the people. Juarez was fun to visit for food and shows and will probably be fun again once things settle down. When it snows in ruidoso the skiing/snowboarding is good, but it's not often. The scenery is awesome if you're into the desert. Couple of great golf courses and fairly inexpensive at that.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:07 PM

I wish I was there..at least I would have family close by!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:35 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,125,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XChucoresident View Post
I wish I was there..at least I would have family close by!
You do not live here? Where do you live? Do you have any relatives here? Do you talk to them very often?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,703,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
You do not live here? Where do you live? Do you have any relatives here? Do you talk to them very often?
LOL I just love sarcasam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or