U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,050,046 times

Advertisements

Ok in this forum, we always here alot of negative comments and views about El Paso, but for those who are lifelong el pasoans or transplants, why did u decide to stay? What contributing factors lead to your descision to make the Sun City your lifelong home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:08 PM

114 posts, read 317,625 times
Thanks for starting this one LEVOW.. I am a third generation El Paso who has had a wonderful life here in El Paso. Gainfully employed by a Fortune 100 company for 25 yeras and a regional company for 12 years right here in El Paso before I retired. I found this city to be full of life, many opportunities and things to do here and within a 200 mile radius, a wonderful place to raise kids and for family.

When I was born in El Paso, it was the center of the Southwest. In my travels up to the early ninties, people spoke positively of this city and respected it for its history and because of its commerce. It all changed when the feds failed to curb immigration and the balance in our community became challenged.

The Business Community lost its focus and Mayor Rogers failed to invest in our infrastructure which led many companies to leave El Paso including our premier, homegrown El Paso Natural Gas. That broke the spirit that was El Paso but thanks to some very visionary men and women, work began in the late ninties to regain El Paso's prominence.

El Paso is a great city. Every city goes through ups and downs and our city is no exception. Read Dr. Timmions "El Paso". It will give you a totally correct vision of our city and how El Paso played such an important role in our Country's history and development. It is a must. And it shows where we are going...very visionary!

"A River Running West " by Donald Worster illustrated how El Paso played an important part in the development of the Southwest. These books will give you a unique, positive perspective. We have much to be proud of and that is what we taught our family and I encourage everyone to do the same.

The negative comments made by some is their right as long as it does not become mean spirited. Here on City Data is is at least controlled unlike [domain blocked due to spam]. We all have our opinions and many will say El Paso is a good place.

With what is taking place with Medicine, Military, Manufacturing, Commerce, Trade and Education, El Paso is positioned to move forward. Remember, location is everything and we are located in the middle of the continent. The naysayers will no longer rule. El Paso- An International City....Capital of the Borderlands.

Bravo!!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM

729 posts, read 1,770,214 times
I wish i could say that I stayed in ELP. But I do want to come back. While in other forums I must ask myself why some people stay in ELP? They hate the city, its people....everything and anything that has to do with ELP.

It just blows my mind!

Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
One reason I stay is I can't think of where else I should go. Every place has it's pros and cons. Job-wise, I'm okay here, I hate the high taxes. I like the area I live and believe El Paso is extremely scenic, the mountains are fabulous the way they change color and appearance, going from drab to splendid, majestic, there's a river running through town. I'm not sure where you can find better weather, and still have seasons. You never forget what the sun looks like here. I think El Paso is too big but it's laid out in a way that makes it seem not so big. I like the way the city looks at various times of the day. Sunsets are wonderful here, but also the sunrises.

People are okay but I think they used to be better when it was a smaller town, you meet some friendly and helpful, some not especially so. Traffic is okay unless there's a bad pileup and you can't get around it. There is good hiking and plenty of day or weekend trips to other spectacular places. People have great backyard parties here. No matter if it's just people sitting and laughing, having a beer under a mulberry tree, or it's a party next to a backyard pool, even the above ground kind. Or you can ride horses along the canals and river, ride bicycles where the traffic isn't too busy and fast. There's nothing like a scorching hot day spent outdoors and then sitting in a cafe with red enchiladas and a cold cold beer or just an average kind of day and a green chili charboiler hamburger and a genuine malt shake.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,663,299 times
I am not able to leave right now.. I have obligations here. Once those are settled, I am so gone.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 AM

105 posts, read 441,192 times
I've posted on what I think are the good and bad aspects of the city. I think, though, that many stay here in El Paso--at least for a bit longer than they anticipated--is the lack of resources to leave in a timely manner. In my case, I want to leave pretty badly, but I don't want to leave with any debt, and I don't want to incur any new debt wherever I go. So, I've been busy paying off debt and saving cash.

Living in El Paso makes it doubly difficult. Pay levels here are so low that it's hard to save enough to leave while also funding one's retirement accounts and savings accounts, so sometimes it's slow going for some folks--like me.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM

714 posts, read 1,597,291 times
Like many others, we came here for a specific employment reason. I (can't speak for the rest of my family) at this time do daydream about a potential life away from here. I can't say I fall into the category of ELP "Hater", but being from CA, there is a lot from there I miss that cannot necessarily be overcome by the positives of ELP. I probably have had the hardest time adjusting to life here. We were able to afford a home by moving here but I wouldn't necessarily say quality of life improved. My immediate dissatisfaction has the same ring as others: employment/career opportunity, adjustment to culture, lack of family in the area, etc.

I'm an old dog, so learning new tricks comes more difficult. Maybe in the long term, I will appreciate ELP more, but for now, I am on the fence (no pun intended). I think we will be here for a while, but not sure if "lifelong" home is my intention.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 36,709 times
We just moved to el paso 2 month ago so i cant call myself as an lifelong elpaso resident but i love it here...I realy dont know why so many ppl seem to hate it here...I for myself and my family can say as of now we have not experienced anything bad or trastic here ( hope it stays that way) lol....We moved from upstate ny due to militar and at first i was not so keen by the idea to move here due to a lot of bad storys people were telling us before moving here...Now that we are here its like where do all these people come up with that stuff??? ... My kids are 19/9/7 and just started school 2 weeks ago...As of right now i can honestly say school is great as far as teachers / prinicipal etc ....My kids seem to love it here and said they never want to leave again lol...We on the Northeast side and its quiett , great neighbors, shopping plazas everywhere...The only thing we have to get used to is the hot weather compared to upstate ny but we getting there and its actually not all that bad....We even planning on buying a house here and become el paso resident for good...All i can say is El paso is one city that you just have to make the best of it and if you come here without all the negative and look for yourself its not that bad at all...Life is what u make it to be same as living in a city u dont know....But just me

Old 09-08-2008, 11:39 AM

2,625 posts, read 10,050,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastania34 View Post
We just moved to el paso 2 month ago so i cant call myself as an lifelong elpaso resident but i love it here...I realy dont know why so many ppl seem to hate it here...I for myself and my family can say as of now we have not experienced anything bad or trastic here ( hope it stays that way) lol....We moved from upstate ny due to militar and at first i was not so keen by the idea to move here due to a lot of bad storys people were telling us before moving here...Now that we are here its like where do all these people come up with that stuff??? ... My kids are 19/9/7 and just started school 2 weeks ago...As of right now i can honestly say school is great as far as teachers / prinicipal etc ....My kids seem to love it here and said they never want to leave again lol...We on the Northeast side and its quiett , great neighbors, shopping plazas everywhere...The only thing we have to get used to is the hot weather compared to upstate ny but we getting there and its actually not all that bad....We even planning on buying a house here and become el paso resident for good...All i can say is El paso is one city that you just have to make the best of it and if you come here without all the negative and look for yourself its not that bad at all...Life is what u make it to be same as living in a city u dont know....But just me

I am glad to hear that, and im glad you gave El Paso a chance, and actually lived here, before forming an opinion and or listened to all the negative comments!

Old 09-14-2008, 04:16 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I am glad to hear that, and im glad you gave El Paso a chance, and actually lived here, before forming an opinion and or listened to all the negative comments!
I gave El Paso a chance -- and I've lived here a number of years. The weather and climate here are near perfect and I believe they are what keeps a lot of people here.

I also know what gets people to leave and one are the absurd property taxes because how can we brag about low home prices when the county tacks on several thousands more each year that we must pay in order to think we "own" our homes? When you consider that here you might be able to buy a $100,000 or $200,000 home that would cost $50,000 more elsewhere -- you need to consider that you may be paying 4 times as much in property taxes as those other home buyers and end up with less money to spend.

The other thing that's bad here -- you might get a decent enough $100,000 house here but with no yard of any kind. No place for kids to play, no room to toss a ball. That's not true of all parts of town but the new areas seem pretty bad to me.

Now someone who only lived in an apartment somewhere else moving here might see the tiny yard with the rock fence around it as enough room --- it all depends but to me when we look at home prices it's not just the home but what it sits on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or