U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM

2,596 posts, read 7,480,743 times
Default first job in el paso

I had a paper route when i was 11, but my very first job was at the Peter Piper Pizza on Paisano, i started off as a busboy, at minimum wage. I remember when we would close, we would get off until like 3 in the morning. They stole 2 of my bikes, from the outside. while i was working, those damn Jefferson Silver Foxes lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM

729 posts, read 1,169,047 times
My first job was at the Shur Sav on Chelmont and Montana Ave. I started out as a bagger and then moved on to Cashier. The original was where the Walgreens and Luby's is now. Then they moved across the street. I forget what the name of that grocery store that resides there now.

Do you all remember the steak place on Chelmont and Montana? I think there is a Blockbuster video now.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM

5,080 posts, read 2,684,192 times
My First Job was at Safeway on Fairbanks & Rushing as a courtesy clerk.. -aka- bagger. I moved up to Produce, and then they went out of business.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM

31 posts, read 53,492 times
Ok, I'll join in. But I must say I moved to El Paso when I was around 19 yrs old, hence no grocery store or fast food job stories.

My first job in EP was horrible. I worked for a telemarketing firm (no need to mention names). Even though you got paid a dollar or so above minimum wage and never had to interact w/ people in person, they still expected you to wear a dress shirt and tie to work every day. The atmosphere had this phony (no pun intended) feel to it where everybody is supposed to feel cheery all the time. I didn't stick with this place for long at all.

Another crappy job I had was to look for illegal cable hookups. You got paid each time you got someone to start paying for the service, a lousy $10/occasion. So I'm driving around in hot weather, using my own car/gas only to make a whopping 80-90 bucks by the end of the week. Again, didn't last long at this one either

Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,272,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraaron View Post
Ok, I'll join in. But I must say I moved to El Paso when I was around 19 yrs old, hence no grocery store or fast food job stories.

My first job in EP was horrible. I worked for a telemarketing firm (no need to mention names). Even though you got paid a dollar or so above minimum wage and never had to interact w/ people in person, they still expected you to wear a dress shirt and tie to work every day. The atmosphere had this phony (no pun intended) feel to it where everybody is supposed to feel cheery all the time. I didn't stick with this place for long at all.

Another crappy job I had was to look for illegal cable hookups. You got paid each time you got someone to start paying for the service, a lousy $10/occasion. So I'm driving around in hot weather, using my own car/gas only to make a whopping 80-90 bucks by the end of the week. Again, didn't last long at this one either

You should have rode a bike because you could probably notice more illegal hookups and not have to buy gas.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM

503 posts, read 921,068 times
My first job was as a stocker at Sam's Toys on Stanton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso