U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
 
5,402 posts, read 12,188,397 times
Reputation: 5403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
I have read the court documents. Well so be it. What's done is done. I hope there will be lessons learned.

Taking this thread in a new direction, Chico's plans to expand throughout Texas and possibly into New Mexico and Arizona according to court docs.

I dont think (just my opinion) that their current formula and current format will work outside of El Paso.

Putting aside any similarities and trade infringement practices I do believe Chucos/10th Street had a good thing going in Austin.

Let me for the last time describe the upgraded the Austin version :

Comfortable clean environment
Credit Cards accepted
Free Refills
Beer
Healthy Choice Options for Vegatarians
Flat Panel HDTV's placed stratigically throughout resturant
His/Her restrooms inside the dinning room
Intimate seating (no booths)
Whole House Audio throughout resturant
Theme Nights
Weekly and Daily Specials
Outside covered seating
Friendly Service
Management getting their hands dirty too

So there. That was the upgraded Austin version. I must of forgotten some other things.

If I had the money I would settle this out of court and taken over this business venture.

Any takers out there?

I'd add three things...

The outside area is nice because of its park-like ambiance, huge trees to shade the tables.

Location.

The last thing, not a positive, was the dismal parking situation. But then again, I recall the parking at the Chicos on McRae was bad, but it had much more than 10th street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2008, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
729 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by levow View Post
healthy choice options for vegatarians

[im going to pull a george lopez on this one hook, "healthy choice for vegetarians, muy chingon, healthy choice for vegetarians, mas puuuu......"] lol, el paso and chicos dont care for healthy choices, if we did, we go eat at souper salads!
lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
729 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Reputation: 463
Oh I forgot Free Wi-FI!!!! Gotta add that to the list from earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
 
135 posts, read 195,111 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Well evidently neither of you are business majors. Why change what works? They have a formula that works for them and has gained them world wide appeal.. You can not mention El Paso with out Chicos. These guys wanted to cash in on that formula. So I think they got their just rewards..
Actually you would make quite a poor busniessman, unless you're strictly talking about making a quick buck for a short amount of time. Why change what works? Because if you don't advance it, someone else will, and then you're replaced, and the business that was "working" before suddenly has fewer customers etc until it doesn't work at all. Ask GM whether they did a good job not changing what worked pretty well in the 70s. And then ask Toyota if they thought it was a good idea that GM was complacent because thier business "worked".

Restaraunts aren't quite high in the technology sector, but whether it's Chili's taking market share from Applebee's, or Toyota cutting out GM, you have to keep expanding and advancing or someone else will (like Chuco's in this case). To not do so is business suicide.

Either you make something totally 100% brand new and make money off it (which good luck finding a product or business that is 100% doing or producing something "new"), or you take something that is existing and make it bigger, better, expand it, etc and make money off it.

If you're happy to think of something new and will be happy with that "working" let me know because I'll be more than happy to take whatever you're selling and do less work, but find a way to make it bigger, better, and get it out to more people, making a bunch of money and eventually replacing your product unless you do something to catch up to me, which by your explanation is nothing a real "business major" would do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
5,080 posts, read 7,670,223 times
Reputation: 1105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
Actually you would make quite a poor busniessman, unless you're strictly talking about making a quick buck for a short amount of time. Why change what works? Because if you don't advance it, someone else will, and then you're replaced, and the business that was "working" before suddenly has fewer customers etc until it doesn't work at all. Ask GM whether they did a good job not changing what worked pretty well in the 70s. And then ask Toyota if they thought it was a good idea that GM was complacent because thier business "worked".

Restaraunts aren't quite high in the technology sector, but whether it's Chili's taking market share from Applebee's, or Toyota cutting out GM, you have to keep expanding and advancing or someone else will (like Chuco's in this case). To not do so is business suicide.

Either you make something totally 100% brand new and make money off it (which good luck finding a product or business that is 100% doing or producing something "new"), or you take something that is existing and make it bigger, better, expand it, etc and make money off it.

If you're happy to think of something new and will be happy with that "working" let me know because I'll be more than happy to take whatever you're selling and do less work, but find a way to make it bigger, better, and get it out to more people, making a bunch of money and eventually replacing your product unless you do something to catch up to me, which by your explanation is nothing a real "business major" would do...
Uh-Yeah. Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
 
8 posts, read 14,971 times
Reputation: 10
This is where your argument does not stand with me. Chucos/10th street was nothing like Chico's. I mean nothing. The name started out similar but after they changed it, the similarities stopped. Except for the 1 drowning taco dish. And it did not even taste the same. Similar but different.

If the Moras want to expand to Austin, fantastic. I'll visit their restaurant every chance I get. But your insistence that this guys were thiefs is ludicrous. No justice was served here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Do you remember that movie Coming to America with Eddie Murphy? In it they had McDowells instead of McDonalds and they were the same pretty much.. This story reminded me of that.

And I am not happy or pissed or sad I am not any way about this. I just said Fantastic. I felt justice was served. Simple.. other than that I could care less what some joker does in Austin. I don''t live there, don't plan on it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
729 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Reputation: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlnghorn View Post
This is where your argument does not stand with me. Chucos/10th street was nothing like Chico's. I mean nothing. The name started out similar but after they changed it, the similarities stopped. Except for the 1 drowning taco dish. And it did not even taste the same. Similar but different.

If the Moras want to expand to Austin, fantastic. I'll visit their restaurant every chance I get. But your insistence that this guys were thiefs is ludicrous. No justice was served here.
read the article and check out the court docs at the bottom. you be the judge and let me know what you think.

http://www.newspapertree.com/news/2819-food-fight-chico-s-v-chuco-s

Check out the blog entries in the Stateman too. A well known former News Anchor makes a short comment....aye que bella muchacha!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
 
31 posts, read 74,945 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlnghorn View Post
This is where your argument does not stand with me. Chucos/10th street was nothing like Chico's. I mean nothing. The name started out similar but after they changed it, the similarities stopped. Except for the 1 drowning taco dish. And it did not even taste the same. Similar but different.

If the Moras want to expand to Austin, fantastic. I'll visit their restaurant every chance I get. But your insistence that this guys were thiefs is ludicrous. No justice was served here.
The example in the movie isn't that far fetched. Chuco's used a similar name and logo w/ the sombrero. And from what others have posted, their theme was a sort of tribute to El Paso.

That Chuco's had nicer facitilities and a more diverse menu and different tasting taco dish has nothing to do with whether they violated trademark laws.

The court docs that Smooth posted clearly spells out Chico's position. They've spent the last 50+ yrs establishing their name. They've denied requests from others to franchise.

When they changed their name to 10th Street hints that they acknowledged they were in the wrong to begin with. But by the time they changed their name, the damage was already done. Chuco's enjoyed revenue and recognition derived from the Chico's name.

There is a reason why trademarks exist and related laws are in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
 
31 posts, read 74,945 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpelp View Post
Actually you would make quite a poor busniessman, unless you're strictly talking about making a quick buck for a short amount of time. Why change what works? Because if you don't advance it, someone else will, and then you're replaced, and the business that was "working" before suddenly has fewer customers etc until it doesn't work at all. Ask GM whether they did a good job not changing what worked pretty well in the 70s. And then ask Toyota if they thought it was a good idea that GM was complacent because thier business "worked".
Define "short amount of time" as Chico's has been around since the 1950's. All your ideas about expanding products are fine and dandy so long as they don't violate trade mark laws.

One could argue someone else already beat Chico's in fast food business, as other fast food businesses established during the same period are huge corporations by now (while others are just faded memories). But if Chico's is doing what they want to do and remain profitable I doubt they view themselves as "beaten."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
 
8 posts, read 14,971 times
Reputation: 10
I see why Chicos is going after Chucos. It wasn't really about the taco dish but about how Chucos played themselves off as a relative of Chicos with the name, logo, and phrase "Inspired by tastes from El Paso". I believe this was done intentionally to draw in the El Paso expats in Austin. Chucos went too far with the similarities even though the restaurants are worlds apart in appearance and tastes. I think the owners under anticipated the Chicos response. Too bad, I really enjoyed Chucos. If they had just opened as 10th street tacos and not used such a similar logo, this lawsuit probably would have never happened. But then how were they supposed to appeal to us El Paso expats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
read the article and check out the court docs at the bottom. you be the judge and let me know what you think.

http://www.newspapertree.com/news/2819-food-fight-chico-s-v-chuco-s

Check out the blog entries in the Stateman too. A well known former News Anchor makes a short comment....aye que bella muchacha!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top