Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times

Advertisements

I agree.. Fakeguy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default The harvest...

So their experiment failed. No one should shed any tears for this. These two men were not a mom and pop team who saved their life's earnings to open a restaurant only to have it fail.

These two are businessmen, educated and had the financial wherewithall to take a gamble on the tumble of the dice. They surely knew the odds and the stakes when going into this. Surely, the possibility of a lawsuit was evident to them even before they opened the original Chucos Tacos.

Anyone who disagrees with the above is probably intellectually dishonest. It is too bad they probably lost money, but as businessmen, I am sure they have a plan, no business does something like this without knowing what to do next.

On the other side of the coin, I find the Mora family to be arrogant to think they have the patent on the tacos. My mom fed us tacos in sauce all our lives growing up, red sauce with green peas, sometimes chile, somtimes cheese, sometimes ground beef, sometimes goat. It came in a plate, or bowl, and was swimming in sauce. Chicos is just another variant of the dish. If they could, they'd probably try to claim to have invented the green chile sauce! How would that play out?

I feel for the El Paso expats in Austin who frequented the place. I went there too, though I don't live in Austin. I went to check it out, I gave my review in this forum. Not the same, the restaurant was not the same, and the tacos were similar, but not the exact same thing.

Perhaps the two businessmen should have lobbied the Mora family to franchise to them. I think the Mora family does extremely well, cash only! I think they could grow their wealth by expanding, but they appear to be too greedy to let anyone share the wealth as has been proven in this case.

So don't feel sorry for these two. They were dishonest, no matter how nice they are in person; they have reaped the harvest they had sewn.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
So their experiment failed. No one should shed any tears for this. These two men were not a mom and pop team who saved their life's earnings to open a restaurant only to have it fail.

These two are businessmen, educated and had the financial wherewithall to take a gamble on the tumble of the dice. They surely knew the odds and the stakes when going into this. Surely, the possibility of a lawsuit was evident to them even before they opened the original Chucos Tacos.

Anyone who disagrees with the above is probably intellectually dishonest. It is too bad they probably lost money, but as businessmen, I am sure they have a plan, no business does something like this without knowing what to do next.

On the other side of the coin, I find the Mora family to be arrogant to think they have the patent on the tacos. My mom fed us tacos in sauce all our lives growing up, red sauce with green peas, sometimes chile, somtimes cheese, sometimes ground beef, sometimes goat. It came in a plate, or bowl, and was swimming in sauce. Chicos is just another variant of the dish. If they could, they'd probably try to claim to have invented the green chile sauce! How would that play out?

I feel for the El Paso expats in Austin who frequented the place. I went there too, though I don't live in Austin. I went to check it out, I gave my review in this forum. Not the same, the restaurant was not the same, and the tacos were similar, but not the exact same thing.

Perhaps the two businessmen should have lobbied the Mora family to franchise to them. I think the Mora family does extremely well, cash only! I think they could grow their wealth by expanding, but they appear to be too greedy to let anyone share the wealth as has been proven in this case.

So don't feel sorry for these two. They were dishonest, no matter how nice they are in person; they have reaped the harvest they had sewn.
I agree with you on many of your points. Like I said in an earlier post we will get over it and they will lick their wounds and so forth.

I do believe they will reopen under a new name as I saw today. Dont know when though.

Even though we should not shed any tears I truly believe happiness for someone else's loss is un-called for...period!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 AM

31 posts, read 84,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
On the other side of the coin, I find the Mora family to be arrogant to think they have the patent on the tacos. they appear to be too greedy to let anyone share the wealth as has been proven in this case.
It's probably not so much the tacos but the whole image, a similar logo plus a similar name.

If I created a burger w/ an extra bun in the middle plus thousand island type dressing and called it a "Double Yummy", not so bad. But if I call same sandwich a "HeftyMac" and my restaurant "Senor Donald's" and have a single golden arch instead of two, then I'm in big trouble.

Furthermore if I go into the auto parts business and call myself McDonald's that's not so bad either, but when I use a similar logo, similar name, and I'm in the same business, then that's always going to raise questions.

The only evidence remaining needed to show that Chuco's benefitted from Chico's name is visible here in the forums. For the new restaurant was known as the Austin destination for El Paso ex-pats. The place to get food kind of like Chico's but not quite. Chico's but healthier, etc. Chuco's enjoyed sales from customers familiar w/ the Chico's name/product association.

I'm not saying it's a good thing for a new business to have to shutdown. From what other posters described it sounded like a nice, clean place that i would've liked to visit. It's unfortunate that the business owners have to change direction (at a loss I would think) and unfortunate customers lost a good establishment so quickly. I'm just pointing some of the legal aspects.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
[quote=HookTheBrotherUp;5131306]

QUOTE]

Well things would have been different if it was a big resturant chain that did it. Believe me a big company would have an army of lawyers and would just out muscle anyone that sued them.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Do you remember that movie Coming to America with Eddie Murphy? In it they had McDowells instead of McDonalds and they were the same pretty much.. This story reminded me of that.

And I am not happy or pissed or sad I am not any way about this. I just said Fantastic. I felt justice was served. Simple.. other than that I could care less what some joker does in Austin. I don''t live there, don't plan on it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraaron View Post
It's probably not so much the tacos but the whole image, a similar logo plus a similar name.

If I created a burger w/ an extra bun in the middle plus thousand island type dressing and called it a "Double Yummy", not so bad. But if I call same sandwich a "HeftyMac" and my restaurant "Senor Donald's" and have a single golden arch instead of two, then I'm in big trouble.

Furthermore if I go into the auto parts business and call myself McDonald's that's not so bad either, but when I use a similar logo, similar name, and I'm in the same business, then that's always going to raise questions.

The only evidence remaining needed to show that Chuco's benefitted from Chico's name is visible here in the forums. For the new restaurant was known as the Austin destination for El Paso ex-pats. The place to get food kind of like Chico's but not quite. Chico's but healthier, etc. Chuco's enjoyed sales from customers familiar w/ the Chico's name/product association.

I'm not saying it's a good thing for a new business to have to shutdown. From what other posters described it sounded like a nice, clean place that i would've liked to visit. It's unfortunate that the business owners have to change direction (at a loss I would think) and unfortunate customers lost a good establishment so quickly. I'm just pointing some of the legal aspects.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
No dream stolen at all. The Mora family is content with what they currently have. The same style, the same format, the same everything...for close to 50 years.

Yes its the mentality of being insecure and not wanting anyone else to have what you have. Our culture is envious and afraid to branch out. We are afraid to think outside the box.

It does not make any sense at all to me either. I agree with you 100%!!!
Agreed.

It's puzzling that some who complain so loudly about El Paso complacency would be upset by Chucos, given that Chicos has basically been complacent for a long time.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:22 PM

Well evidently neither of you are business majors. Why change what works? They have a formula that works for them and has gained them world wide appeal.. You can not mention El Paso with out Chicos. These guys wanted to cash in on that formula. So I think they got their just rewards..

Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,258 times
I have read the court documents. Well so be it. What's done is done. I hope there will be lessons learned.

Taking this thread in a new direction, Chico's plans to expand throughout Texas and possibly into New Mexico and Arizona according to court docs.

I dont think (just my opinion) that their current formula and current format will work outside of El Paso.

Putting aside any similarities and trade infringement practices I do believe Chucos/10th Street had a good thing going in Austin.

Let me for the last time describe the upgraded the Austin version :

Comfortable clean environment
Credit Cards accepted
Free Refills
Beer
Healthy Choice Options for Vegatarians
Flat Panel HDTV's placed stratigically throughout resturant
His/Her restrooms inside the dinning room
Intimate seating (no booths)
Whole House Audio throughout resturant
Theme Nights
Weekly and Daily Specials
Outside covered seating
Friendly Service
Management getting their hands dirty too

So there. That was the upgraded Austin version. I must of forgotten some other things.

If I had the money I would settle this out of court and taken over this business venture.

Any takers out there?

Last edited by Smooth from ELP; 09-06-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 09:13 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,218,228 times
Healthy Choice Options for Vegatarians

[im going to pull a george lopez on this one hook, "healthy choice for vegetarians, muy chingon, healthy choice for vegetarians, mas puuuu......"] lol, el paso and chicos dont care for healthy choices, if we did, we go eat at Souper Salads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso