Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:19 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

You agree with Hook and he starts off by saying I am onto something and goes into detail of how I could be right. And you agree but yet here you are still arguing with me.

Chuco.. dude. We disagree. Simple as that. Why argue. Come 2013 when the New troops should all be settled in, and the city is in what ever state its in.. if I am right I expect a public apology, and for you to tell everyone who was right and who was wrong.. I will do the same.. deal?

Because honestly.. I don't think I am wrong. I am too tired of trying to explain it to you. You have your notion set in stone in your head and fail to see the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Ft. Bliss is a great component of growth for El Paso, but I think the Medical Center of the Americas, Texas Tech and expansion at UTEP are the real long-term prosperity strategies for this region. Hospitals and universities don't experience the type of fluctuation in funding and mission that military bases do - they are like a gift that keeps on giving. A highly educated populace is far less sensitive to ups and downs in the economy.

The addition of infantry soldiers vs. medical professionals and students are two very different things, you know.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
I would hope that what Bob Cook (Redco) stated comes true and that is with the Bliss expansion that will bring in these High Tech manufactering companies that make the weapons for the Army as then they'll test then on Mcgregor Range and White Sands Missle Range.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM

I hear that New Mexico is already gearing up to offer great packages to these companies in Las Cruces and Alamogordo.. so they may steal El Paso's Thunder on those jobs real quick.. El Paso better pull its head out of the sand and see what our neibors are cooking.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM

197 posts, read 511,656 times
Quote:
A highly educated populace is far less sensitive to ups and downs in the economy.
In the grand scheme of things, EP is considered by most business standards to be a low cost geography (as they say). High property taxes among other things are relative and you have to be careful to compare apples to apples.

With the current economic conditions, the shift and intense focus on low cost geography is really kind of staggering. Off shoring is not as cheap as it used to be. Getting goods from China and India to anywhere else is taking longer and costing more. Business are finding that no matter what means of training or product design, they simply can not cultivate diverse levels of workers in places like India, China, Eastern Europe.

So the basic question being posed now is how and where can we make stuff and get stuff done in North America. Where can we move production, offices, bodies. "Made In the USA.... again" is a recent catch phrase.

What has happened in EP is irrelevant. It is the past. The new economic landscape is dramatic and different. Only time will tell, no one knows for certain how things will turn but what is certain is that EP meets many criteria in that attractive low cost geography category.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I hear that New Mexico is already gearing up to offer great packages to these companies in Las Cruces and Alamogordo.. so they may steal El Paso's Thunder on those jobs real quick.. El Paso better pull its head out of the sand and see what our neibors are cooking.
I was reading in the Albuquerque Journal News that Honeywell in Albuquerque was awarded an Army contract to build the OH-58 Kiowa Warrior Helicoptors.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM

Alliswell.. I like what you have to say.. but I fear that El Paso is not the ideal place.. New Mexico has better incentives than we are offering.. so places like Las Cruces, Alamogordo, and the surrounding area may get the contracts and business El Paso needs.. T or C is also a place destined for more growth, with the space port in the back yard and all that open land near by.. not to mention military bases in every direction, it would also be beneficial to these companies to build in these areas over El Paso. Companies use past data to see future trends and to make analysis projections into their future, so you can not dismiss the past of El Paso so easily. Companies will move to where they see the best profit over cost, and right now EL Paso is not it. Thats not to say that it can not change.. lower property tax, or give tax credits to companies who move operations here and employ X amount of people at an above pay scale... just some things to think about.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Oh yes, the economy is booming! Just think of all the fast food restaurants opening up, and all those Dollar stores! Strip malls everywhere! There are so many Wal-marts to choose from too...hmm, lets see, east side, upper valley, west side...hmm, decisions....decisions

Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
Default Dollar General et. al

I had read somewhere that having Dollar Generals and the like are not really a sign of bad economy because a large percentage of shoppers in those stores are considered "affluent". And when I used to live in the Silicon Valley area of Northern California, affluent meant just that. I would go to Dollar Tree and the lot would have Lexus (Lexi?), Acuras, Mercedes, etc. parked next to a 1979 Oldsmobile and a Pinto. Folks with money have money because they like a bargain like any one else...which is probably why they have money.

Now when pay day loan and check cashing businesses move in, then there is a problemo. And I have noticed more Car Title Loan and Pay Day Loan places sprouting up. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

So I hope I read your message right. As my dollar is stretched even further, Dollar General will still be a viable option though I would prefer home cooked to fast food any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Oh yes, the economy is booming! Just think of all the fast food restaurants opening up, and all those Dollar stores! Strip malls everywhere! There are so many Wal-marts to choose from too...hmm, lets see, east side, upper valley, west side...hmm, decisions....decisions

Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 PM

197 posts, read 511,656 times
Quote:
Companies will move to where they see the best profit over cost, and right now EL Paso is not it.
With all due respect, you don't know that that EP does not, can not offer better margins. You speak much too broadly yet with a limited scope all at the same time. There are a multitude of other locales in the U.S. where workers cost more, insurance cost more, taxes are more brutal, price per square foot of production facilties and office space are without a doubt more expensive, etc.

EP is closest to Juarez. Juarez is what it is. Conflict and all. EP is one of the few cities where global managers and executives can have the benefit of still living in the states yet have very close access to an international production facility. Agreed EP needs to realize that there could be opportunity on the horizon and make plans to march to attracting those business who are looking for new locales that are less expensive than their current digs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso