U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

13,140 posts, read 35,994,034 times

Advertisements

Here's a good article with the Commanding General of Ft. Bliss Maj Gen Bromberg on his thoughts about El Paso and Ft.Bliss.

It's a good read.

El Paso Inc- Maj General Bromberg on El Paso and Ft. Bliss (http://www.elpasoinc.com/readArticle.aspx?issueid=199&xrec=3132 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 02:28 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,673,322 times
Thanks 6/3 for the link.. I wanted to post this because there was some debate on the location of that medical building. If you recall I told you all where it was going to be built and I was told I was wrong it was going to be near Fred Wilson and the Freeway.. here is my proof.
Quote:
Q: What do you think Fort Bliss will look like in 10 years?
First of all, everything will be done, it will be built out. I think that the post will shift more to the east. That Loop 375 is going to be crowded. That’s where we’re going to have a major medical center, and we’ll have easy on and off access. It will be a very modern place with more growth, not just military but with related service industries.
Another point.. ( now you al know who I talk to and what circles I am in.. I try to pass that down but cant )

Quote:
Q: Is that where a new lifestyle center will go?
We are anxiously awaiting approval of the lifestyle center. The PX is still going to be here but we will also have a cineplex, shopping, mall walking and a pedestrian zone.

What I’d like to see is light rail or a bus system so that military members who live off post or workers can take the light rail right into here. They’d get off at a bus station and there’d be a train that runs to up White Sands. I’d like to see that lifestyle center be the hub of all that activity.

Then continue the light rail to the airport so a soldier can get off an airplane and take the light rail to the post. That’s what this city could look like in 10 years.
Again I told you all about this.. a long time back..

Quote:
Q: What other changes can we expect in the next few years?
Aviation. We’re going to have 120-some helicopters at Biggs Field, not to mention other aviation support that’s already out, plus unmanned air systems with Future Combat Systems. We will have a much busier airspace than what you’ve seen before.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Yeah dude it's gonna be wickedly HUGE out there by 2013 when the expansion is complete. I was in awe last month when i saw all the construction off of Loop 375 north of the Airport.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM

2,613 posts, read 5,125,915 times
Sounds like great stuff!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM

729 posts, read 1,771,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Yeah dude it's gonna be wickedly HUGE out there by 2013 when the expansion is complete. I was in awe last month when i saw all the construction off of Loop 375 north of the Airport.
Not if a certain presidential candidate whos party has had its grip on ELP for decades gets elected.

Historically those dudes have cut back on military and defense spending. You do the homework.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:53 PM

Well Smooth.. the money has already been paid out so the Army will get the post up to snuff.. but if as you say a certain candidate gets in there, it will go no further. And hell maybe even scaled back and the new stuff will sit and rot empty.. oh scary thought.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Question??? And that is one canidate wants to scale back the military which could hurt EP.....but what about the other canidate wants to scrap NAFTA which has also hurt EP since it's been implemented.

Anythoughts one way or the other???

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM

I don't think scraping NAFTA would hurt us.. I think it would bring back jobs to America. El Paso used to be a huge manufacturing mecca.. We had 20-40 Plastic plants alone here, we had LEVIS FARRAH, and many other clothiers.. and then the business that supported them like stone washing places.. We have Industrial parks all over El Paso, Down on PAN American, on the west side off Trans Mountain, and Butter field trail.. they were full and in need of space here. I recall getting a job for $7.00 bucks an hour back when I was in high school and minimum wage was $3.40 an hour I think, assembling vacuum cleaners way out on Pan American drive... back then that was good money! Cigs cost less than a dollar gas was like $.98-1.01 a gallon..

NAFTA came along and just about every business that employeed people here jump the river for Mexico, where they can pay a worker there far less than what they have to pay an American.. not to mention the savings on insurence. I think NAFTA hurt us more than scrapping it ever will.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM

No i mean't that when NAFTA was implemented in 1994 it hurt EP and that while Obama would scale back the military he wants to scrap NAFTA where as McCain want's it in place.

This is not a political spin for either canidate so chill posters....as i never post in the political forums and i'm not endorsing either as i'm just looking at BOTH canidates and how they'll effect EP.

One is pro Military and the other is anti NAFTA as both these issues can effect EP.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Oh ok, so we agree then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or