U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 AM

767 posts, read 1,941,507 times

Advertisements

I would vote for him again in a heartbeat. With past mayors, it was all talk.. but with John Cook I've actually seen a lot of positive change and its more than I've seen than with the past few mayors combined.

Ft. Bliss expansion, Medical Center of Americas, Children's Hospital, Texas Tech - El Paso, Double Tree Hotel, $1 billion in HWY projects, Downtown Revitalization, the Outlet Mall, hopefully the new Fountains Mall, Airport renovation, Zoo expansion, and several other key projects that are now being talked about.. railed streetcars being one of them.

I see El Paso moving forward with a man like Cook as our mayor, hopefully the people of El Paso can see that and vote for him again.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_10562266
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 AM

13,014 posts, read 24,184,597 times
First off i have to admit that i was surprised to see Rep M. Castro at his announcement ceremony as he is always breaking the tie to vote against her and the other councilors that always vote NO. Since i do not live in El Paso but in New Mexico i'll give an outsiders view but ultimately it's up to you guys in EP who you want as your Mayor.

As an outsider who does not pay property taxes in EP my thought is he does seem to be doing a good job. I go back to first remembering Mayor Salazar in the late 70's for all the Mayors i've seen in EP over these years and honestly almost all were worthless as far as advancing EP while the other Texas cities advanced. While some of the progress going on is the Feds still i have never seen so much happening and that's in a bad National economy.

Is there too much poverty there ...YES..... but no matter who is Mayor unless Mexico reforms like what Ireland did in the 90's as it was the poorest in Western Europe and now the Wealthiest and Booming as Mexico cheap labor will always be a drag on EP and San Antonio and Tucson as these cities have the same poverty issues as EP with cheap labor flooding into them.

So i agree with Chuco about all the new happenings is exciting for EP and Mayor Cook is the CEO of the City as these are happening under his watch but i understand the frustration of the high property taxes strangling many so i just hope for the best for the Metro as EP deserves to finally be something besides a ''Border Town'' mentality.

If Phoenix can be a ultra modern city in Arizona than so can EP as Phoenix was EP in the 60's/70's and now look at that city.

Thanks for the post Chuco !!

6/3

Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 AM

2,604 posts, read 7,794,311 times
Hes got my vote, not even a question, best mayor we had in my lifetime, next to jonathan rogers and joe wardy, ok not wardy, but yup, with cook at the helm, el paso is going to shine brighter than before!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,241,365 times
I wont vote for him.. the man is an idiot and an embarrassment to our public image.

You all forget we have a CITY MANAGER who makes the real change.. Cook is a puppet,
a figure head, the public face. The City Manager is the person effecting real change not the mayor.

Hey Harry, you say at one time we were a ultra modern city.. yeah that was before NAFTA came along and closed our many jobs people had here.. don't you recall the huge unemployment spike, and the programs to help dislocated workers find new jobs and the hurt and heart ache it caused back in the day? I sure do.

Also Harry are you saying that El Paso's Economy relies on Mexico? Unless they fix the poverty there, El Paso's Poverty will remain as well? Thats a profound thought. Meaning El Paso and Juarez are truely tied to one another.. we cant move forward unless we drag them upto date with us.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:22 PM

13,014 posts, read 24,184,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I wont vote for him.. the man is an idiot and an embarrassment to our public image.

You all forget we have a CITY MANAGER who makes the real change.. Cook is a puppet,
a figure head, the public face. The City Manager is the person effecting real change not the mayor.

Hey Harry, you say at one time we were a ultra modern city.. yeah that was before NAFTA came along and closed our many jobs people had here.. don't you recall the huge unemployment spike, and the programs to help dislocated workers find new jobs and the hurt and heart ache it caused back in the day? I sure do.

Also Harry are you saying that El Paso's Economy relies on Mexico? Unless they fix the poverty there, El Paso's Poverty will remain as well? Thats a profound thought. Meaning El Paso and Juarez are truely tied to one another.. we cant move forward unless we drag them upto date with us.
No i said that Phoenix, Arizona is an ultra modern city but at one time back in the 60's/70's it was a quasi poor southwest city like EP so if they could change then ''Potentially'' there's hope for EP.

Absolutely EP is tied into Mexico and it's economic and poverty conditions which bode bad for EP. I remember the 60 minutes show a couple of years back about ''Ireland the European Miracle'' where the poor Irish used to immigrate to Great Britain in the 70's and 80's (sound familiar) to do the crap jobs like construction and maids, cooks, janitorial etc... and now the poorer English are heading to Ireland for employment as Ireland is pure High Tech and High Wages as someone had the vision and fortitude to change that country like we all wish Mexico would do or even what Brazil is currently doing to Change.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 09-26-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
ZSP

1,164 posts, read 2,186,387 times
Quote:

AMEN Brother!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:06 AM

2,500 posts, read 4,840,400 times
Muhney you have demonstrated that you know nothing about municipal government. Not because you don't like Cook that is your privilege and your opinion. What makes your post ignorant is that you don't understand that mayor and council make policy and city managers implement them. Of course you have nothing to back up what you say about the manager making changes, however a college government book or probably wikipedia would explain the difference to you.

As for Cook I applaud his fight against ASARCO, I was one of the volunteer attorneys against them in the 1980 case which went on for months. After the media got bored and stopped attending they almost seemed to enjoy all the sulfur 20,000 tons a year, led 30 tons a year as well as arsenic they put into the air. I wrote a guest column about it last November in the Sunday EP TImes.

On the other hand Cook goes too far pushing some liberal agendas. He shouldn't be spending time fighting against the death penalty-he can't do anything about it and its not a proper function of the Mayor's office.

Although my gut reaction is to give him another term, I have to admit being out of EL Paso so long< I haven't given enough study to budget and tax issues. In other words I'm ignorant as to his financial ability.

Muhnay you do well when you make informative posts on places and post some interesting stuff, but when you tackle government and politics- you're embarrassing yourself.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:24 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,241,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Muhney you have demonstrated that you know nothing about municipal government. Not because you don't like Cook that is your privilege and your opinion. What makes your post ignorant is that you don't understand that mayor and council make policy and city managers implement them. Of course you have nothing to back up what you say about the manager making changes, however a college government book or probably wikipedia would explain the difference to you.

That maybe true. I have to admit Politics are not my strong point. Mostly because they dont concern me that much... so I never really looked into them. I would not say I am ignorant.. but rather don't care.

As for Cook I applaud his fight against ASARCO, I was one of the volunteer attorneys against them in the 1980 case which went on for months. After the media got bored and stopped attending they almost seemed to enjoy all the sulfur 20,000 tons a year, led 30 tons a year as well as arsenic they put into the air. I wrote a guest column about it last November in the Sunday EP TImes.

So my first question is how does it feel to be a failure? I supported the ASARCO reopening, still do.

On the other hand Cook goes too far pushing some liberal agendas. He shouldn't be spending time fighting against the death penalty-he can't do anything about it and its not a proper function of the Mayor's office.

I agree. He also puts a bad public image on El Paso. He looks like an ass, and makes us look like a joke to the rest of the world. Does he want to be a Mayor, or an Entertainer?

YouTube - Mayor Cook Entertains Crowd

Although my gut reaction is to give him another term, I have to admit being out of EL Paso so long< I haven't given enough study to budget and tax issues. In other words I'm ignorant as to his financial ability.

I would not say that, just not well informed. People like to toss strong words like IGNORANT around to give strength to a weak argument... I would not be so hard on your self.

Muhnay you do well when you make informative posts on places and post some interesting stuff, but when you tackle government and politics- you're embarrassing yourself.

Maybe.. but I don't feel embarrassed. I have an opinion, just as you do. I try not to call you names and weaken your opinion with insults and name calling though. I respect your opinion.. I just disagree with it in some parts.
Re-posting link in case it does not work in the quoted area.

YouTube - Mayor Cook Entertains Crowd

So is he a Mayor, or Trying out for American Idol? You decide.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,920,138 times
Quote:
If I remember correctly, Juarez's GDP far, far larger than that of El Paso. You forget that there is major international investment in that city, which El Paso is more than happy to be a part of. And absolutely, El Paso's economy is linked to Mexico. The Juarez-El Paso region is the world's largest production sharing center!

This entire region has the very realistic potential to become North America's greatest manufacturing giant - it already is one of the continent's most important. I don't think most El Pasoans understand exactly how big that potential is.

It just hasn't hit that potential, though. Blame that on decades of short-sighted leadership.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 PM

270 posts, read 387,753 times
Moderator cut: reference to another poster
cant leave, then look around, Jobs? Low wages? Working conditions? Educated/skilled people moving to other cities? City council discussing real issues or just grandstanding in hope of future political positions? As I stated in other threads, until El Paso changes that small city mentality, it will continue to tax and spent and it will contniue to look like the broke person that runs out to buy a cadillac while living in a shack in an attempt to look affulent.

Last edited by Bo; 01-12-2009 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: It's fine to disagree with other members, but don't insult them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso