Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:48 PM

247 posts, read 605,151 times

Advertisements

They just started to demolish the old white parking garage where Jack in the Box used to be in place for the new bigger garage which is part of the revitalization plan. You got the Doubletree getting close to being finished, the new federal courthouse getting close as well, they're gonna put new lighting all around downtown soon, the Mills Building, Plaza hotel, etc. Another 2-3 years downtown will have a much different but much better look to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
They just started to demolish the old white parking garage where Jack in the Box used to be in place for the new bigger garage which is part of the revitalization plan. You got the Doubletree getting close to being finished, the new federal courthouse getting close as well, they're gonna put new lighting all around downtown soon, the Mills Building, Plaza hotel, etc. Another 2-3 years downtown will have a much different but much better look to it.
I agree, a lot of it is changing. It still needs a major renovation throughout the whole downtown area.. but lots of parts of Downtown are now changing for the better.

I didn't know that the parking garage was already being demolished.. so that is good to hear. Paul Foster doesn't play around.. he gets started on his projects real fast.

Here is another good article about a new business in downtown.
El Paso Inc (http://www.elpasoinc.com/readArticle.aspx?issueid=200&xrec=3195 - broken link)
It looks like some developers are going to renovate the old El Paso & Southwestern Railroad and Freight Depot in downtown. The plans are for two restaurants to be located in the building, one in each floor of the building. It sounds interesting and really cool.

"He also said he plans to “erect the tallest unsupported flagpole in the world, just over 122 meters or 400 feet” tall on the property.

“When erected, plans call for the Lone Star to wave proudly in the wind letting all passersby know that the eyes of Texas are upon them," Abraham said."

Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,973 times
That renovation idea at the old railroad terminal sound awesome! Especially the gigantic Texas flagpole idea. That way people driving through can see the Texas flag and Mexican flag waving together in the wind.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:01 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Not together.. do you know how many people that big Mexican flag being waved in our face pissed off.. the big American one is to show them that we are the promised land, and they are not. Lets not be fooled in thinking its some sorta coming together thing.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 AM

879 posts, read 3,037,220 times
LOL! Why would people get offended over a Mexican flag that is being waved over Mexican soil? That is just retarded. (I'm not saying that I don't believe you Muhnay, I totally believe you) But why would people get mad? just because they have one that is bigger than ours? LOL! That's just dumb. It's not like they are waving it inside El Paso...

The plans for the huge flag pole that will go up are nice, but they say that they are going to wave the Texas flag on there.. not really sure if the Stars and Stripes will be on there.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Well hell man.. Texas Flag will do nicely.. let them know who's in charge. =) If I recall the Texas flag is the only flag in the union that can be flown at equal height as the American flag.. all others are to be below it.

Because some people feel its a smack in Americas face.. me I don't care.. Nothing wrong with national pride in your nation... Wave that flag all you want Mexico.. we know we have what you want.. why else do millions of your people scurry over the border every year in search of what we have. So wave that big old ugly flag all you want. When the Red White and Blue of our flag waves.. know your role and bow down to the greatest nation on earth.. USA, USA, USA.. hey chuco was that over the top? I am a bit sleepy and feeling kinda punchy.. lol

Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Muhnay, et al,

As you mention, the state can be flown at same height according to the US flag code. In fact, any state can fly their flag at the same height. If on the same pole, the US flag has to be the highest. Some out there believe in the urban legend that the Texas flag can be flown higher.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:54 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
Great post !!!

I wish someone could get some photo's especially of the new Courthouse.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Not together.. do you know how many people that big Mexican flag being waved in our face pissed off.. the big American one is to show them that we are the promised land, and they are not. Lets not be fooled in thinking its some sorta coming together thing.
Back when they were doing those protests, KLAQ had that funny skit, I forget the guy's name but they had him supposedly doing a counter protest, marching with a big USA flag into Juarez shouting viva USA and then he'd say "Arriba Bush, abajo Fox" as he was going down some Juarez street.

He ended up getting chased and trying to cross back over into the USA over there by the Hacienda Restaurant on Paisano.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 PM

195 posts, read 657,898 times
LOL! Now that's gutsy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso