Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM

271 posts, read 809,790 times

Advertisements

Muhnay
If you still have kids at home do not move to Las Vegas unless you do a ton of research. The negatives outweigh the positives IMO. I lived there for quite a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 03:03 PM

167 posts, read 483,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasvzqz View Post
Quick observation. It just seems that most of the people who complain about living in El Paso would complain about any city they'd live in. In other words, they will not be happy anywhere and will always find something they don't like about a place, whether it is the color of people's skin, the language they speak, taxes, income, the food, the local university, or whether Chico's tacos are the best in the world.....
I agree with 1Angrytaxpayer 100%.
Not true in my case. I lived in Tennessee before moving to El Paso. No complaints about Tennessee at all. Not the weather, the people, taxes, etc. Moved to El Paso with husbands job. Just could not adjust, and yes, I did complain about El Paso.

Lived in England for many years. No complaints there either.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinggreen View Post
Not true in my case. I lived in Tennessee before moving to El Paso. No complaints about Tennessee at all. Not the weather, the people, taxes, etc. Moved to El Paso with husbands job. Just could not adjust, and yes, I did complain about El Paso.

Lived in England for many years. No complaints there either.
Geez, your are like my ex-wife, let it go already and move on.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM

167 posts, read 483,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Geez, your are like my ex-wife, let it go already and move on.
I have let it go, however, I am entitled to post here, just like you. We have different opinions, which is fine by me, you are entitled to yours and I am entitled to mine. If we all though the same, life would be dull indeed.. Oh, I am sure I am not like your ex-wife.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,953,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasvzqz View Post
Quick observation. It just seems that most of the people who complain about living in El Paso would complain about any city they'd live in. In other words, they will not be happy anywhere and will always find something they don't like about a place, whether it is the color of people's skin, the language they speak, taxes, income, the food, the local university, or whether Chico's tacos are the best in the world.....
I agree with 1Angrytaxpayer 100%.
I disagree. I lived in Gulfport Mississippi and loved it. Only thing I was not happy with was the Jr. High School my son attended. The Elementary my youngest was at was awesome. I loved the weather, the thunderstorms, the people, the water, the closeness to everything. Couple hours could be in New Orleans, or on some of the nicest beaches in Florida. I really enjoyed the place.. I would not have left if it was not for my Uncle having a heart attack brought on by a bad oxigen mixture, and now we have found out a small cancer spot on his lung. I came back to this city to take care of him, otherwise I would be in Mississippi still making good money sitting on a beach watching the waves roll in.

DESERT DOG, thanks.. Yeah a few years ago the wife and I and the 3 kids rented an apartment there, and that night went to a dennys to have dinner, and I kid you not we watched as a guy got shot in the parking lot.. decided that Vegas was not for us, and went onto Seattle. Guess things still have not changed. I also dont like the whole car insurance laws there, not that I dont keep auto insurance, just dont like the scam the state has set up regarding it. I have past some major background checks for the work I have done, so the background checks in Vegas dont scare me either. I have a friend who lives there his firm is doing the new bridge over the Hoover dam, he wants me to come out that way.. but I dont know.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I agree 1000%!!! If a job requires me to speak spanish, I don't think I would want it anyways. Those jobs are always the low pay, low skill, dead end (i.e. retail/service jobs)

That's true actually -- and kind of negates what those people say about learning Spanish will advance your career. If you have a higher skilled job, it won't even get you a differential, but for lesser jobs, it is essential.

The problem here are the entry level jobs, and the jobs for kids trying to pay their way through college, they do face discrimination. People are not just making that up.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 PM

malamute
The medical field is a higher skilled job market and speaking Spanish/English is a huge plus although it obviously isn't necessary to find employment.

Muhnay
There's areas of Vegas that are really nice such as Boulder City outside of Vegas and Green Valley as well as Summerlin but meth has taken over and the crime that goes with it so if you're careful and live in gated communities you can avoid some of it. Unfortunately we didn't have the income to do so. I used to love Vegas but I could tell you stories about it now. Gulfport sounds really cool , I wish I'd had time to look around the one time I stopped there when my son and I were driving OTR last year.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 PM

730 posts, read 1,895,586 times
Default Getting worse?

Heard it's getting worse with all of the foreclosures...abandoned homes in new developments. Funny how not too long ago folks were aching to retire there b/c of cheap homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Muhnay
If you still have kids at home do not move to Las Vegas unless you do a ton of research. The negatives outweigh the positives IMO. I lived there for quite a few years.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Caltep
I heard the same. Houses that were selling for 340K now below 200K and people just walking away from their mortgages. It's sad what's happened there because it used to be a great place to live years ago before everyone started moving there.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,586 times
Default New strategy

I had heard that folks who know they are about to be at the point where they would not be able to pay for their mortage are using the time to qualify for a new lower mortage b/c their credit is still good and then puchasing another house that they can afford. They then walk away from the more expensive home and let it get foreclosed on. I don't know if this is even feasible, but desperate times=desperate measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Caltep
I heard the same. Houses that were selling for 340K now below 200K and people just walking away from their mortgages. It's sad what's happened there because it used to be a great place to live years ago before everyone started moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso