Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,215,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
LEVOW
Medical Assistants, call centers,restaurants,retail sales, grocery stores, manufacturing, etc. All these ask for english/spanish. My son and I were in Little Caesar's on Montwood last week and the girl who waited on us had to get someone to translate our order because we spoke english. It just don't seem as if we have a level playing field in this town. I'm buying Rocket Spanish next week and if their claims are true I should be able to carry on a conversation in about 3 months.
restaurants ok yes, grocery stores, yes, but theirs plenty of jobs out there that spanish is not required,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM

271 posts, read 809,560 times
LEVOW
Educate us please.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM

105 posts, read 493,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yes and no.. the US recognizes English as our official language but does not have any laws regarding it as our official language.

Now States on the other hand.. Do Have Official Language Laws, these here in dark blue have English as the Official Language of the state, in light blue English and some other as their official language.. New Mexico - English/Spanish Louisiana English/French.

Ones in Grey need to get with the program.
If it's not codified in law, then it's not official. The US has no official language. States that declare English as an "official language" do not interfere with private businesses who choose to hire whomever they need with whatever language skills they have.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
Is that not what I said TEXANWEST, or are you just trying to argue the same point I made? Well except I disagree with the state comment you made, check out Arizona sometime and see how false that statement really is. Maybe you missed the whole sham on the news a few months back when the House and Senate stood up and said English is recognized language of the United States?

I second what DesertDog said.. Educate us.

Levow, I am guessing you speak Spanish, I would even bet its your first language.. so of course when you hear it or see it on a requirement for a job, you dont give it a second thought.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
jfe

61 posts, read 283,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh231985 View Post
Does anyone speak english in El Pasp

I have found it very hard to find a job in El paso . Because I do not speak Spanish, If I am not mistaking This is the United States right ? I should not be turned down for a job because i do not speak spanish? AND I SHOULD NOT HAVE TOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
I don't know about talking, but obviously you can't write in English

Quote:
Nice trolling JFE.. you can clearly see on your keyboard that O and P are right next to each other and that is a typo.. not everyone has Firefox to correct their spelling for them. So because you got nothing else to Moan about, and you know this guy speaks the truth, you have to come in here and berate this guys spelling to divert from the real topic.. how nice.
It ain't trolling, but when someone opens a thread complaining about the use of the English language, and I am not talking about the spelling, but the use of grammar.

The correct sentence is "If I am not mistaken", not "If I am not mistaking"

I just hope you can understand the irony of his post

So, you are not fooling anyone

Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Is that not what I said TEXANWEST, or are you just trying to argue the same point I made? Well except I disagree with the state comment you made, check out Arizona sometime and see how false that statement really is. Maybe you missed the whole sham on the news a few months back when the House and Senate stood up and said English is recognized language of the United States?

I second what DesertDog said.. Educate us.

Levow, I am guessing you speak Spanish, I would even bet its your first language.. so of course when you hear it or see it on a requirement for a job, you dont give it a second thought.
No muhnay, spanish is not my first language, and we can argue this until the end of time, but businesses will always cater to their clientele, cmon, its only common sence! I useD to work at a restaurant, i was an assistant manager, at a pizza joint in the mall for 3 yrs, and worked there for a total of 6, and even there, spanish wasnt a requirement.Everybody always says that mexican people dont make the effort to speak english, for what? Ive witnessed on a number of occassions, people laughing and giggling at these people for mispronouncing words, or because of their heavy accents! Who would want to attempt to try to talk english, if people are going to be laughing and cracking jokes at them! I used to go to Juarez with my grandparents alot when i was young, and mexican workers would do anything to make the american cust comfortable, just to sell one of their products, you appreciate people the bring in money to your business.
My whole point is, your in el paso [i know we in america], were like less than a mile from the mexican border, people are going to talk spanish!!!! If you dont like it, get an education, where your degrees, wil get you a good job, not which language you speak!

Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,412 times
cry me a riverif we are so close to the mexican broder that is why you hear so much spanish is true...........then does that mean that right over the bridge that there are lots of people speaking english because they are so close to the american broder?
I understand if you are not from here and can not speak english but I have met kids that are from el paso in can not speak english and that my friends is just sad

Old 10-03-2008, 04:47 PM
jfe

61 posts, read 283,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
then does that mean that right over the bridge that there are lots of people speaking english because they are so close to the American border?
Actually, yes

Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfe View Post
Actually, yes
thats true, alot of people right across the border speak english

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbliss View Post
then does that mean that right over the bridge that there are lots of people speaking english because they are so close to the american broder?
Yes, as others have stated, lots of people that live in Juarez speak English.

If you had ever gone over there, you might of noticed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso