Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 PM

271 posts, read 809,856 times

Advertisements

It seems as if everyone wants out of Texas not just El Paso. What about some of the towns east of us like San Angelo, San Antonio, Abilene, etc.? Are they more of the same or do they offer something better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:34 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
I was impressed with San Angelo. I could see myself living there.. I don't know why I like it more than El Paso, maybe it was the attitude there? Maybe it was the way they embraced the river there and use it as a part of the city.. maybe it was the old buildings downtown, or maybe that the people just seemed more friendly and open. San Antonio I would not live in.. its a nice place to visit.. but I could not call it home.. And I did when I was a kid for a little while. Corpus Christi TX, I like.. and have even considered living there.. I have a couple job offers there with oil companies.. but I would have to live on the bluff, or out on Port Aransas... Corpus though has the same mindset I see in El Paso, and many people call it El Paso on the water, but I could survive there as I do here.. So I don't know if I could be happy there if I am not here. Galveston TX is some place I love.. I could move there tomorrow. Dickens on the strand.. the community spirit, the mindset and attiude of the place is just ALIVE! So I could stay in Texas.. There are some Lake Cities up near the Oklahoma border I could see living at as well.

I am strongly considering moving back up to Seattle, or the Oregon coast. Nothing against Texas at all.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM

271 posts, read 809,856 times
Muhnay
I was in Oregon this spring visiting family. My daughter and I drove part of the Oregon coast and it is some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. You mentioned San Angelo which is one of my target areas even though I've never been there . I want west Texas attitude and culture with a little more water and green along with more opportunity for my wife to find a job in the medical field without knowing Spanish. Is the cost of living in San Angelo close to the same as El Paso in your opinion?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM

(COST OF LIVING IN SAN ANGELO) I really could not say, as I have not lived there.. but from the threads in the TEXAS area.. I gather that it is. Another cool thing about San Angelo is your close to other major Texas cities and not as isolated as you are in El Paso. It is a bit more green, but still desert southwest.. San Angelo is right on the line of where things begin to change from Desert to Green. San Angelo also has a Military Base, AIR FORCE. The city is charming, and has that pioneer feel to it when you get downtown. I think you would like it. As for Hospital jobs.. I would do a Google search for Hospitals in San Angelo.. then I would contact their HR departments and see what requirements they have. There are some Spanish speakers there as well.. but I did not see it to the level I have in El Paso.. but then again I also don't live there so I don't know for sure.

I loved Sea Side and Astoria. Astoria is where they shot the Goonies by the way. But If I was you go check out San Angelo.. its a neat place.

DESERTDOG

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=8368208

There ya go.. plenty to look at..

http://www.gosanangelo.com/webcam/ - and a cam in San Angelo.

Last edited by Muhnay; 10-08-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM

Hey Dog.. seems like people liked your topic and kinda copied it..

Why I Left Texas?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 AM

286 posts, read 678,158 times
Mr.Muhnay,
Galveston? Seattle? You want green..you will get it....rain and mist almost EVERYDAY in Seattle!
One of the radio stations that I owned was in Galveston...ugly,HIGH CRIME 90% humidity and oh the boardwalk is real nice..lol.
The DESERT is all I want and I never waver. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso