Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:23 PM

271 posts, read 809,790 times

Advertisements

I like the East side because of the schools and ease of getting around as well as short commute to the airport. My son likes being able to ride quads and dirt bikes within 10 minutes of our home. My daughter likes her high school (El Dorado). We've been here 16 months and so far so good. Welcome to El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 13,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
tell us first if you will, why did you choose El Paso?
My fiance and I are moving to El Paso because my fiance's sister lives down there with her family [2 kids and a husband]. Her husband is in the military and is being sent off to Kuwait for a year. She wants us to move in with her for that year to help her out around the house and to keep her company. Seeing as though she doesn't work. She has offered us a spot in her house rent free. And to be completely honest with you, I am more than excited to get the hell out of MI. Such cruel, cold winters...

And one more question! How is the job economy down there? Probably better than here.....

Dreaming of the warmth....

Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticleigh View Post
My fiance and I are moving to El Paso because my fiance's sister lives down there with her family [2 kids and a husband]. Her husband is in the military and is being sent off to Kuwait for a year. She wants us to move in with her for that year to help her out around the house and to keep her company. Seeing as though she doesn't work. She has offered us a spot in her house rent free. And to be completely honest with you, I am more than excited to get the hell out of MI. Such cruel, cold winters...

And one more question! How is the job economy down there? Probably better than here.....

Dreaming of the warmth....
The economy? As far as jobs, El Paso would be worse off that the place you're leaving. Not nearly as much variety in jobs, and the pay will be lower for almost all jobs. If you don't know Spanish fluently, there are some jobs but not too many that are available here for you. Depending on your line of work, you can have trouble finding a job. The military coming in will help create some jobs.

The lower pay comes with lower heating bills and of course plentiful sunshine so it just depends on what matters the most to someone.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 PM

158 posts, read 438,946 times
We PCSd here at the end of last Feb from NE Ohio. The weather is so much nicer here. I just ETSd and am now staying at home with the kids, so I cannot speak of the job market other than ads I have seen. I know that the direct tv call center is always hiring (or dish network, I can't keep the 2 straight). The border patrol always has billboards announcing they are hiring. I would suggest applying now. I was a fed employee before I went full time army. It takes months to get in, but it is well worth it once you do.

What type of work/skills do you and your fiance possess?

Old 10-24-2008, 01:38 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
Unless you are going to live and work in the lower valley, downtown, or northeast, don't believe any of the hype about needing to be fluent is Spanish. It will be a great asset but not essential. You will hear Spanish all around you but most people will speak in English if you interact with them.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,304 times
Hello everyone..im brand new in the forum i been reading around the forum for the past few days ..i decided to make an official account..so i can start posting etcc.. i'm making plans to move to in paso in several months..im here to educate myself..thanks...

Hablo espanol...

Soy dominicano

Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413SF View Post
Hello everyone..im brand new in the forum i been reading around the forum for the past few days ..i decided to make an official account..so i can start posting etcc.. i'm making plans to move to in paso in several months..im here to educate myself..thanks...

Hablo espanol...

Soy dominicano
I'm sure you will enjoy the Sun City. Welcome!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,304 times
awesome i'm looking foward to better weather, i currently live in mass , winter here sucks..i can deal with the summer all year long, obviously i know there also winter season down there in texas ..i was in san antonio for basic training last year was very weird weather , but i liked it..i just came home from iraq , and that was crazy hot..

Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

Hablo espanol...

Soy dominicano
You won't have too much trouble getting a job then -- but the pay won't be the same as in Massachusetts. The weather is nicer here. It's not all summer but it's mostly summer here.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times
Quote:
awesome i'm looking foward to better weather, i currently live in mass , winter here sucks..i can deal with the summer all year long, obviously i know there also winter season down there in texas ..i was in san antonio for basic training last year was very weird weather , but i liked it..i just came home from iraq , and that was crazy hot..
If weather is very important to you then you should be happy here, but truthfully I don't think the weather in Mass has been that bad for awhile. Last winter was mild, we had a fairly good spring, and summer had a lot of dry weather particularly in August. Now, we're having a beautiful fall. Summer time in EP might remind you a bit of Iraq. When it rains here in EP you'll realize how nice it is to have something called "drainage".

I have a home in both Mass and El Paso, and it is a nice contrast. But I'm solidly a desert person. You will find that Mass does have a lot more to do. Here in EP, once you're beyond city limits there's nothing. If you like simple Home Depot style houses you're in luck as well, not as many older homes and I don't find them built as well here in EP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso