Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Well hopefully since the BRACC is expanding Ft.Bliss, Holloman AFB, White Sands Missle Range and Cannon AFB that the congress will leave these military installations in our region alone and not cut them since BRACC has supported them not just to stay open but to expand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM

270 posts, read 626,525 times
6 foot, just read an article on a military website, Gates is already announcing equipment cuts because of the economic crisis, etc. Have fingers crossed, as city council finally admitted they have 9 million budget shortfall, hiring freeze and budget cuts for all departments. Like I said it is throwing money around and borrowing like crazy in an effort to look New York.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:20 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Have fingers crossed, as city council finally admitted they have 9 million budget shortfall, hiring freeze and budget cuts for all departments.
Hey Luplor, by chance do you remember when the city said it was going to freeze new hires? I knew about the shortfall but not about the hiring freeze.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They were talking about a 25% cut in the military - I wonder if that's still the plan.
I guess we will find out.....*sigh*

I like being near a base. I just hope this doesn't affect Bliss/Holloman too much. One retiree here told me that he thinks Holloman will be in good shape for several more years.

I hope he's right.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
6 foot, just read an article on a military website, Gates is already announcing equipment cuts because of the economic crisis, etc. Have fingers crossed, as city council finally admitted they have 9 million budget shortfall, hiring freeze and budget cuts for all departments. Like I said it is throwing money around and borrowing like crazy in an effort to look New York.
I wonder if they still gutting the bases in Europe as maybe that will bring them savings without having to gut ours here in the states.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 AM

270 posts, read 626,525 times
The article didnt say when about the freeze, just that it was in effect. One of the reasons we moved here is because of the miltary facilities so I am watching closely. I dont think they will close but can see them cutting back in size of soldiers and post regardless of contracts. I never seen a mil. contract, I wonder if they have a clause that states something like, since we dont control the purse strings we can cancel or reduce contract in accordance with instructions from DOD. If some of you were alive during the Viet Nam era, you might remember all the massive cuts then and no consideration being given to the local communities. Then the biggest joke, too many helo pilots so they let them go and then 10 yrs later, they were asking them to come back because of a shortage. The former pilots were furious, as many had to scrabble to get a job and now they were being asked to give up their new careers and return. We need REAL industry here in case there is a large reduction in military contracts.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:18 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default More anecdotal evidence...

Obama orders defense cuts for 2010. This may not sound like much, but consider that each year, the Fedearl Government spends billions on top of it's budget. Since the Joint Chiefs of Staff are being told to cut their spending by 10% for 2010 alone, that means they can't spend over their current limit, and need to stay within 10% below that. The delta could be 10 to 50 billion dollars. This is on top of the defense programs being cut back, or eliminated; this is not small chump change, this is weakening the US military and it will affect El Paso in the long run.

Not to turn this into a political debate, but let's face it, the far left despises the military, and all it stands for, and with the control of the Whitehouse and Congress in liberal hands, don't expect military spending to grow, regardless of what is going on with BRAC now.

Defense Official: Obama Calling for Defense Budget Cuts - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Obama orders defense cuts for 2010. This may not sound like much, but consider that each year, the Fedearl Government spends billions on top of it's budget. Since the Joint Chiefs of Staff are being told to cut their spending by 10% for 2010 alone, that means they can't spend over their current limit, and need to stay within 10% below that. The delta could be 10 to 50 billion dollars. This is on top of the defense programs being cut back, or eliminated; this is not small chump change, this is weakening the US military and it will affect El Paso in the long run.

Not to turn this into a political debate, but let's face it, the far left despises the military, and all it stands for, and with the control of the Whitehouse and Congress in liberal hands, don't expect military spending to grow, regardless of what is going on with BRAC now.

Defense Official: Obama Calling for Defense Budget Cuts - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
Warning: This forum is not the place to debate national politics. I'm reluctantly leaving this post in the thread ATM, but if it turns out to be the first volley of a debate, it'll be deleted along with any debating replies.

You can debate the politics of military funding to your heart's content in City-Data's Politics and Other Controversies forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso