Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:10 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Subcontracted to fix the led displays in store windows that scroll the payouts. Mostly changing out receivers and resetting. Was contracted to a company that was contracted to Texas Lottery. Paid real well while it lasted. I'm on SSD and am always looking for side work to supplement income. My background is electro-mechanical as well as a bunch of other stuff. Just recently was in the mountains south of Sierra Blanca taking photos of land bought by an investor out of Florida for a nice bit of change. Sorry for rambling on I didn't intend to give out info you didn't ask for.
Not at all, it is interesting to know what the people do in El Paso. Maybe someone can open a thread to pose that question, lots of people work in El Paso, but what do they do exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:36 PM

51 posts, read 134,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
michchix : what part of Denver did you live
I lived in Highlands Ranch, it's about 25 miles south of the city.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM

Well everyone thank you for your input, and it sounds like I am just being a bit paranoid. I actually do look forward to the move but i think I wouldn't be human if I wasn't just a bit worried about something. Till that point I'll try to get my fill of all the white stuff up here in Blizzard country. HAHAHA

Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
This is actually something I can talk about first hand. One of my best friends grew up in South Dakota and moved to El Paso while in the military. He had been all over the world but loved El Paso so much he decided to move here when he was discharged. I think that example bodes well for you.

If you survived Detroit, you will think El Paso is Candyland. Random crimes happen, so I can't say you will be perfectly fine, but I would not worry too much about crime.

Yeah I kind of have to laugh at myself for being so concerned after we moved here from the detroit area. Although we lived like an hour or so out of the city, it was still close enough. I guess I've just gotten used to the small town feel after living here for a little over 3 years.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michchix View Post
Yeah I kind of have to laugh at myself for being so concerned after we moved here from the detroit area. Although we lived like an hour or so out of the city, it was still close enough. I guess I've just gotten used to the small town feel after living here for a little over 3 years.
If I was moving to El Paso for the first time, and all I had to go by were the posts in the forum, I would be scared for my life!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM

56 posts, read 197,314 times
It's really not bad here at all, I live in one of the new construction neighborhoods east of 375 and have seen no crime to speak of around this part. In NW Houston I lived in a gated golf community, one of my cars had been broken into, three other neighbors on my cul-de-sac have had their cars broken into, and a neighbor two blocks over had their home broken into with $10,000+ of electronics stolen. Not to mention how nice my neighbors are, while on vacation for a week, someone had hidden all of the newspapers behind a bush near the front door to obscure any sign that no one was home.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Well, I'm glad to see that there seem to be a lot of nice people in El Paso. I am excited about my shopping options again. We do lack here in Rapid City, well at least for a girl like me that has lived in big cities before.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius View Post
It's really not bad here at all, I live in one of the new construction neighborhoods east of 375 and have seen no crime to speak of around this part. In NW Houston I lived in a gated golf community, one of my cars had been broken into, three other neighbors on my cul-de-sac have had their cars broken into, and a neighbor two blocks over had their home broken into with $10,000+ of electronics stolen. Not to mention how nice my neighbors are, while on vacation for a week, someone had hidden all of the newspapers behind a bush near the front door to obscure any sign that no one was home.
Are you talking about the Horizon area? I have totally been ALL OVER the realtor.com website looking at houses.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
I've lived here for 40 years, raised 2 children (in public schools), and have grandchildren growing up here as well. I've lived in other semi large cities for various periods of time but will take El Paso any day. Truthfully, there are smaller cities/towns in every part of the country I'd be more afraid to live in.
Wanted to add...I don't speak Spanish and I never had problems getting a job. I worked 20 years in the medical field and 20 in the banking industry.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM

56 posts, read 197,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michchix View Post
Are you talking about the Horizon area? I have totally been ALL OVER the realtor.com website looking at houses.
Right in behind the brand new hospital in between Zaragosa and Pebble Hills.

I love the stucco and tile roof Mediterranean style of homes all throughout here, it really reminds me of being back in south Florida without the pompous homeowner's association or absurd home prices.
There are a lot of schools in walking distance, a tremendous food market around the corner (Vista Central Market on Zaragosa and Tierra Este), and with the new hospital, I personally think this is one of the better places to have a family if the eastside is where you'd like to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso