U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 AM

878 posts, read 1,310,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
4 words Don Haskins High Bears or Miners!
Yeah, I'd like Don Haskins better as a high school or middle school, personally.

Marguerite Lundy was a school administrator for El Paso ISD whose last assignment was principal at Putnam Elementary. It doesn't look like EPISD normally names schools after principals; Bond Elementary is an exception. When Mitzi Bond, principal of Lindbergh Elementary, died in a car crash several years ago, they renamed the school after her pretty quick. Charles Lindbergh qualifies as a builder of El Paso since he persuaded the city to build an airport around 1930, but he never lived in El Paso, and only came through there once or twice. Given this kind of tenuous connection with El Paso, and the fact that his aviation accomplishments occurred almost a century ago, and his association with the Nazis, and the revelation a few years ago that he'd sired a string of out-of-wedlock children with two women in Germany with whom he'd had adulterous relationships, I doubt his name will go on another El Paso school any time in the foreseeable future.

In El Paso ISD, it seems you usually have to be a trustee, superintendent (like H.E. Charles or J.M. Whitaker), or assistant superintendent (like Harry "Hut" Brown) to get a school named after you, and the job of superintendent has become so thankless in the past 30 years that superintendents hardly get schools named after them anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:52 AM

When I went back to my parents' house for Christmas, I happened to take a look at my diploma from Andress High (Class of 1981), and it had on it the signatures of the principal of Andress at the time (Harry "Hut" Brown, namesake of Brown Middle School), the El Paso ISD superintendent at the time (Ronald McLeod), the president of the EPISD board of trustees at the time (Harold Wiggs, namesake of Wiggs Middle School)...and the secretary of the EPISD board of trustees at the time: Javier Montez. Whose name is on the list of proposed school names I posted above.

I wonder if he's still alive.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
When I went back to my parents' house for Christmas, I happened to take a look at my diploma from Andress High (Class of 1981), and it had on it the signatures of the principal of Andress at the time (Harry "Hut" Brown, namesake of Brown Middle School), the El Paso ISD superintendent at the time (Ronald McLeod), the president of the EPISD board of trustees at the time (Harold Wiggs, namesake of Wiggs Middle School)...and the secretary of the EPISD board of trustees at the time: Javier Montez. Whose name is on the list of proposed school names I posted above.

I wonder if he's still alive.
Maybe not. From the Social Security Death Index:

JAVIER MONTEZ [born] 05 Dec 1929 [died] 06 Dec 2003 (P) [last known zip code and place of residence] 79904 (El Paso, El Paso, TX)

I haven't heard of any scandals involving him.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Done.

From today's El Paso Times:http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_11447994

"New schools in [El Paso ISD] were unanimously named after William C. Herrera, Colin L. Powell, Marguerite J. Lundy and Tom Lea Jr."

I don't know which campuses got which names yet, but I guess Powell Elementary isn't the one on Fort Bliss, as Colin Powell is still alive. I think namesakes of schools, streets and so forth on Army bases have to be dead.

Tom Lea Elementary: I wonder if the El Paso ISD school board intends to rename Lee Elementary in Northeast; it's named for a Confederate general (Robert E. Lee).

Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,871 times
We did just have our first black elected president in this country. maybe Barack Obama would be a good name, maybe one of the 1st too.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM

67 posts, read 206,640 times
Try Not To Get Pregnant Academy

Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhees85 View Post
We did just have our first black elected president in this country. maybe Barack Obama would be a good name, maybe one of the 1st too.
Sure, that would be a good name for Lee Elementary (IMO).

Maybe they're saving Don Haskins' name for a middle school or high school.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 PM

13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhees85 View Post
Although i do wish the Pres Elect well as our country is in the ''tank'' i am against naming a school after him at this point as that usually happens when elected officials leave office.

I really do support naming a high school ''Don Haskins High school Miners'' as he was an El Paso icon for 40 plus years as our coach here at UTEP and being the only school in Texas to win an NCAA Mens Basketball National Championship in 1966 against Kentucky.

Heck i may even root for them over my Alma Matter Andress Eagles ........then again .

Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I really do support naming a high school ''Don Haskins High school Miners'' as he was an El Paso icon for 40 plus years as our coach here at UTEP and being the only school in Texas to win an NCAA Mens Basketball National Championship in 1966 against Kentucky.
Maybe they can name the new high school in Far Northeast Haskins High; I think Nolan Richardson used to be an assistant coach for Don Haskins and Richardson Middle would probably be in the new high school's feeder pattern.

Unless Javier Montez and Paul Carlton did something I don't know about, these names might be good choices for future schools.

It looks like war-related stuff doesn't really fire the EPISD trustees' enthusiasm these days (understandably): Colin Powell retired a long time ago and seems to be known more for his stateside work (military and civilian) than anything he did on the battlefield. The Bolanos brothers (famous Vietnam vets) didn't get a school named after them, and nobody even nominated Lori Piestewa or Medal of Honor winners with El Paso connections like Joseph Rodriguez or Paul Ray Smith.

Quote:
Although i do wish the Pres Elect well as our country is in the ''tank'' i am against naming a school after him at this point as that usually happens when elected officials leave office.
Yeah, I don't know if anybody will ever name a school after George W. Bush, or Richard Nixon. John D. "Danny" Olivas would have been a good choice for a school before Lisa "Diapers" Nowak came along. If Barack Obama leaves office with at least a reasonably good track record, that would definitely strengthen the case for a Barack Obama Elementary.

Last edited by atrabilius; 01-14-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM

13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Maybe they can name the new high school in Far Northeast Haskins High; I think Nolan Richardson used to be an assistant coach for Don Haskins and Richardson Middle would probably be in the new high school's feeder pattern.

Unless Javier Montez and Paul Carlton did something I don't know about, these names might be good choices for future schools.

It looks like war-related stuff doesn't really fire the EPISD trustees' enthusiasm these days (understandably): Colin Powell retired a long time ago and seems to be known more for his stateside work (military and civilian) than anything he did on the battlefield. The Bolanos brothers (famous Vietnam vets) didn't get a school named after them, and nobody even nominated Lori Piestewa or Medal of Honor winners with El Paso connections like Joseph Rodriguez or Paul Ray Smith.

Yeah, I don't know if anybody will ever name a school after George W. Bush, or Richard Nixon. John D. "Danny" Olivas would have been a good choice for a school before Lisa "Diapers" Nowak came along. If Barack Obama leaves office with at least a reasonably good track record, that would definitely strengthen the case for a Barack Obama Elementary.
What's kinda odd is that i'd prefer whenever a new west side high school is built to be named after him as UTEP is considered west side as it seems more natural over there although the new HS in far Northeast would be fine also.

I'm sure there are many good El Pasoans over the years who deserve having their name on a school also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso