U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM

12,965 posts, read 23,004,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrabilius View Post
Here we are:

From Lucy Clarke at the El Paso Federation of Teachers and Support Personnel:

The new elementary school on Marcus Uribe north of the Patriot Freeway is Tom Lea Elementary (and I think they might have named it after Tom Lea III the famous artist, not Tom Lea, Jr., his father, the early 20th-century mayor of El Paso who allegedly made every Mexican crossing from Juarez bathe in gasoline every time they came over the bridge).

Minutes of relevant EPISD board meeting of December 10, 2008 which makes me believe it's Tom Lea the artist (warning: PDF file, needs Adobe Acrobat Reader).

The new elementary school on Ellerthorpe just off Dyer on Fort Bliss property is Colin Powell Elementary (hmmm...I thought he would had to die before he got anything on military property named after him).

The new elementary school on Coates off Doniphan in the Upper Valley is William C. Herrera Elementary.

And the new elementary school on High Ridge on the West Side next to the new Hornedo Middle School campus is Marguerite J. Lundy Elementary.

Thanks for posting the listing of the names of the new schools atrabilius !!! Have you heard of the name for the new high school in northeast yet??

6/3
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 PM

808 posts, read 1,153,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for posting the listing of the names of the new schools atrabilius !!! Have you heard of the name for the new high school in northeast yet??

6/3
They haven't started taking nominations yet. There's a new elementary school planned for Fort Bliss (close to Biggs) that was also authorized in the latest EPISD bond election; that hasn't been named yet, either.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times
Mona Ann G. Dubroc was my Mom. She volunteered at Crosby school for over 27 years. She received many awards for her volunteer work, among them the Spirit of El Paso Award and the Fort Bliss Helping Hand Award. My Mom also served her country in the Royal Air Force. That is the British Air Force. A nice woman at the school board told me that she had the most nominations. She was not picked to have a school named after her. Thanks to all who tried to get her nominated.
Carol Dubroc

Last edited by carolcld; 04-22-2009 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: to quote

Old 04-23-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcld View Post
Mona Ann G. Dubroc was my Mom. She volunteered at Crosby school for over 27 years. She received many awards for her volunteer work, among them the Spirit of El Paso Award and the Fort Bliss Helping Hand Award. My Mom also served her country in the Royal Air Force. That is the British Air Force. A nice woman at the school board told me that she had the most nominations. She was not picked to have a school named after her. Thanks to all who tried to get her nominated.
Carol Dubroc

Keep trying.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I wonder if EPISD is considering Haskins for it's new high school in NE?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:28 PM

I wonder what they'll name the new elementary school near Biggs.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I wonder what they'll name the new elementary school near Biggs.
Have they broken ground on it yet ?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Have they broken ground on it yet ?
Not as far as I know. I seem to remember that comes at the end of the 2003 bond program, along with the new high school.

Just how many soldiers will be coming to El Paso is uncertain (Obama might be changing Bush's plans for redeployment) and I'm hearing that El Paso still needs to build 8000 apartment units (off the base) to house all the troops that will be coming. Could it be that they're going to end up not building this new elementary school at all (like Arellano Elementary over on the west side)?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Not as far as I know. I seem to remember that comes at the end of the 2003 bond program, along with the new high school.

Just how many soldiers will be coming to El Paso is uncertain (Obama might be changing Bush's plans for redeployment) and I'm hearing that El Paso still needs to build 8000 apartment units (off the base) to house all the troops that will be coming. Could it be that they're going to end up not building this new elementary school at all (like Arellano Elementary over on the west side)?
Well from what i've read about Obama cutting the military it looks like it's big item projects like the F-22 Raptors and some Aircraft Carriers etc..and hopefully not cut the army personel. Infact up the road at Holloman AFB they still are on target to get their 40 F-22's by next year. I see the DOD budget is still about $550 billion as that's huge and not a cut from Prez Bush's DOD budget.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Well from what i've read about Obama cutting the military it looks like it's big item projects like the F-22 Raptors and some Aircraft Carriers etc..and hopefully not cut the army personel. Infact up the road at Holloman AFB they still are on target to get their 40 F-22's by next year. I see the DOD budget is still about $550 billion as that's huge and not a cut from Prez Bush's DOD budget.
As far as I know, Bush's plan to expand the military is still on track, but more troops might be staying in Europe and fewer coming to Fort Bliss than what Bush had planned. So maybe there won't be a need for that new elementary school east of Biggs.

I think (judging from what I've seen on Google Street View) that there are still vacant lots apartments could be built on in Sunrise Acres, Park Foothills and Angel's Triangle, all of which have been targeted by the city for infill development, and there's already an elementary school in that area (Wainwright) that EPISD could reopen pretty quick if necessary. But I doubt most people who are in the know would have a hankering to live in Angel's Triangle.

Last edited by atrabilius; 04-25-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso