U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 AM

175 posts, read 1,074,030 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I know many of you in El Paso are familiar with Juarez so can you please give me some info----THANKS.

I am planning to go to Juarez for the day and look around, is it true that if you take a taxi, and the taxi wrecks,are you responsible for that taxi wrecking and get into trouble for it, we plan to take a taxi to the malls in juarez, also how safe is it to take a 12 year old into the city, we will only be there for the day, and input and great things to do while were there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM

61 posts, read 259,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I know many of you in El Paso are familiar with Juarez so can you please give me some info----THANKS.

I am planning to go to Juarez for the day and look around, is it true that if you take a taxi, and the taxi wrecks,are you responsible for that taxi wrecking and get into trouble for it, we plan to take a taxi to the malls in juarez, also how safe is it to take a 12 year old into the city, we will only be there for the day, and input and great things to do while were there.
Erm, I have never heard of anything like what you described with the taxi. The only problem with taxis that I have experienced, is that they sometimes will take the "scenic" route to boost the fair. It helps if you know your way around a little. Also, I have found that if my destination is one where there aren't a lot of taxis, it is sometime useful to tell the driver when you want to be picked up. That way you won't be stuck anywhere. Don't pay ahead of time for this.

I myself would not consider going to Juarez if I didn't speak Spanish. But many non-Spanish-speaking tourists go across the river every day.

Remember when crossing back into the U.S. that you must declare your citizenship. Often, a simple "U.S." is enough, but I understand they are starting to check ID's now. Don't be upset if they ask you a few questions about what you are bringing across with you. Some alcohol and cigarettes will be levied a tax by the state of Texas. Lots of fruit and vegetables are not allowed, but I'm not sure which they are. Cheese is usually OK. I recommend Mennonite or goat cheese. Just to be safe, stay away from "queso fresco" unless you are very certain of its origin.

Places to eat:
Degá
Villa del Mar (sea food)

Some people think this is paranoid, but I only drink bottled products when I am over there. Many street vendors will make you stick around to finish your soda, so that they can recycle the bottle (if it's glass).

Many 12 year olds live in Juarez and find it perfectly safe. Just remember that you are in a foreign country. The only trouble that I have heard of or experienced is when someone mouthed off to a cop. Bad Idea Jeans.

-eplifestyle

Old 02-28-2007, 10:13 PM

71 posts, read 308,285 times
Well, chances are that nothing bad will happen to you if you go to the tourist sites and behave yourself.

Having said that, Cd. Juarez is in Mexico and whatever happens you will not have the same representation in court there as you would have in the US. I would not ever go into Mexico. Quite frankly, there is nothing that I cannot buy in the US and I rather pay double before I will go to a third world country for some cheap stuff.

Check the El Paso news right now about the physician assistant. He is accused of molesting little kids in Juarez, this guy is stuck in a mexican jail right now. He said on TV he never even saw the children that are accusing him so who knows. But I mean, if this is a lie from some greedy people, can you imagine ????? I would not trust any law enforcement official over there ever, it's a third world country when it comes to laws and everybody that goes over the border into Mexico should be aware of that, so whatever foolish reason there may be to go, be prepared.

Last edited by eptex; 02-28-2007 at 10:53 PM..

Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM

5,080 posts, read 8,010,522 times
When I was a Teenager, (highschool) we used to go over and drink and dance.. used to get herrassed even back then by the cops.. they would take you shoes and cash... and normally let you go. Had one friend who got taken in and held there for 8 months, he came back quite different. My aunt used to buy her perscriptions there many years ago.. but it is just not safe, big drug war going on over there.

Remember you must have a passport for every family member to leave and to re-enter the US now. I personally would not go, and I would never take a child with me. Now dont get me wrong I have been deep into Mexico, but that was to beach communities, and once to see copper canyon. I find the Mexican people to be friendly, and accomidating.. but the border people are very different. Just becareful and keep your eye's open. Good luck and I hope you have a great time in our twin cities.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Remember you must have a passport for every family member to leave and to re-enter the US now.
Not yet. This rule has been implemented for travelers arriving from a foreign location by air. People entering the U.S. by sea or land ports won't be required to show passports until next year (2008).

Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 PM

OK, so The News was lieing to me.. I would still have it reguardless.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eplifestyle View Post
Not yet. This rule has been implemented for travelers arriving from a foreign location by air. People entering the U.S. by sea or land ports won't be required to show passports until next year (2008).

Yep, and as soon as you leave C. Juarez towards the "real" Mexico you also have to have your passport, the only exemptions right now is Juarez, where they allow you crossing the border with a valid DL..

I so would't go there... I was curios and crossed the border last November.. it was terrible. dirty, dangerous, a nightmare. people do touch you and try to pull you aside from the group you are with (border jumper), try to sell you crap for an insaint amount of money..

Old 03-04-2007, 06:39 PM

13,140 posts, read 36,671,243 times
If i'm going to go to Mexico it would be Cabo San Lucas or Puerto Penasco on the Pacific side.....

Old 03-04-2007, 09:01 PM

Yeah I live here and stay out of Juarez... Its not safe.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepples View Post
Yep, and as soon as you leave C. Juarez towards the "real" Mexico you also have to have your passport, the only exemptions right now is Juarez, where they allow you crossing the border with a valid DL.
I failed to include all the info in my previous post (my bad), so here's the clarification...

U.S. citizens can travel any where inside the border zone if they are going to stay less than 72 hours. All that is required Valid ID (and technically, a birth certificate). Mexico does not require U.S. citizens to have a passport, but they must have a tourist card to travel beyond the border zone. Of course, this is almost a moot point, because next year, you'll need a passport to get back into the U.S.

http://www.mexonline.com/faqs.htm (broken link)

Whether to go to Juárez or not is really a matter of your comfort level. As I stated in my previous post, the only time I had trouble over there was when a member of our group decided to throw his weight around and make a point of being a "U.S. citizen". The cops don't like that kind of thing.

If you like different experiences, if you know Spanish or can travel with someone who does, and if you can avoid acting like an ignorant American--I say go for it.

That's just my opinion, not a judgement on anyone else's experiences there.

-eplifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso