Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

I dreamt about El Paso, tell me about how laid back it is, the Mexican food and hotels. Also what about apartments for rent, houses for sale etc ?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,252,894 times

Advertisements

...last night about El Paso. Weird, right? I've never even been there (or anywhere in Texas) before. I dreamed I started off somewhere in central Texas where it was really green, and then the landscape started rapidly rolling, green hills started morphing into desert plains. Then I came up to some kind of desert mountain pass, and on the other side of the hill was... El Paso. (I don't know if that's even geographically accurate). It was right during sunset, the most beautiful desert city I had ever seen. And I remember I could see Mexico too, see I-10, dividing the line between El Paso and C. Juarez; looked kind of like a wall. I remember feeling incredibly relaxed and "at home." I remember eating at a Mexican restaurant (I must have been hungry last night), and it was really good. Then I remember going into some kind of ice cream joint where it all melted before I could pay for it. Everybody was really friendly, really slow paced and laid back, just the way I like it. I wanted to stay the night, but for some reason the person I was with wanted to keep driving on. That's when it ended. I'm not quite sure how I came up with this dream but I wish I could return to it. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,216,576 times
Re the geographical landscape... is accurate if traveling from let's say, Dallas on I20 to El Paso. From San Antonio to El Paso, it is pretty much hilly, green to desert.

And you certainly see Mexico off of I10, but there is no wall, just a river. Maybe a chained link fence. And El Paso is very laid back. I'd say your dream was 95% right on.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
...last night about El Paso. Weird, right? I've never even been there (or anywhere in Texas) before. I dreamed I started off somewhere in central Texas where it was really green, and then the landscape started rapidly rolling, green hills started morphing into desert plains. Then I came up to some kind of desert mountain pass, and on the other side of the hill was... El Paso. (I don't know if that's even geographically accurate). It was right during sunset, the most beautiful desert city I had ever seen. And I remember I could see Mexico too, see I-10, dividing the line between El Paso and C. Juarez; looked kind of like a wall. I remember feeling incredibly relaxed and "at home." I remember eating at a Mexican restaurant (I must have been hungry last night), and it was really good. Then I remember going into some kind of ice cream joint where it all melted before I could pay for it. Everybody was really friendly, really slow paced and laid back, just the way I like it. I wanted to stay the night, but for some reason the person I was with wanted to keep driving on. That's when it ended. I'm not quite sure how I came up with this dream but I wish I could return to it. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Something similar happened to Marty Robbins I think. Only his dream character ended up dead.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
El Paso just looks a lot like any other city of the SW -- Albuquerque or Tucson for example. You can see Mexico but there isn't any fence except a chain link fence that you only see if you are near the fence itself.

Ice cream doesn't melt like that here -- I'm not sure why but even when it's 100 degrees you can walk outside with an ice cream cone unlike Chicago when it's only 95 the whole thing melts immediately when you go outside. Maybe it's the humidity or maybe it's the altitude that makes the difference.

Some people are friendly here but not everyone. There's more rudeness here now than there used to be. It's laid back in some ways but in some ways people are not that laid back -- not when they're driving they aren't. We have a lot of automobile accidents from people driving very fast and road rage incidents. I think El Paso is friendlier than many large cities but not as friendly as small or moderate size towns. To me it's friendly enough because I don't really like it when everyone is TOO friendly.

You can get some very good Mexican food here -- maybe you need to make the trip down so you can see if the reality gives you the same sensation as your dream did.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,252,894 times
Thanks, HookTheBrotherUp and malamute. I'm not really sure why I decided to post this- I just did, a weird post following a weird dream. But getting back to reality though-- I would like to see El Paso. In fact earlier this year I posted a thread asking about El Paso thinking about taking a road trip down there from Phoenix. That never materialized but I still would like to visit the place. I love the southwest. I've been to Albuquerque a handful of times in the last year. Even thought about moving to ABQ. I'm sure I owe it to myself to check out El Paso as well. And Las Cruces while I'm at it.

Oh-- now that I think of it, I think I might know why El Paso popped into my head. Someone on the General US forum last night posted an interesting thread, "Texas is flat (Game thread)." The first picture of that thread was a beautiful shot of El Capitan which I understand is in far west Texas. Maybe that was it...

Old 12-07-2008, 10:50 PM

Yes, it might be your subconscious telling you it's time to make a trip, check things out.

Actually El Paso doesn't look exactly like other cities in the SW -- similar but we've got the mountain right in the middle of town, Tucson is surrounded by mountains.

Just give yourself enough time to really explore what the area has to offer, driving through on I-10 doesn't show much at all.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,907,783 times
Ahh yes that had to be a dream.. because that is not El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso