Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,542,407 times

Advertisements

It's finally coming out as to what el paso is trying to get from Prez Obama like all the other cities and states in America are getting.

EP wants money anywhere from 200 million to 5 billion dollars for new bridge's between el paso and juarez, money for colonias, retrofitting public buildings for energy efficiency, new mass transit building, money for the new Hospital at Ft. Bliss and even paying for the 85 million dollar storm fee that el pasoans dislike and many many more as you'll have to read about it.

El Paso plans how to get a piece of stimulus - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,216,576 times
Thumbs down Pigs on a trough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
It's finally coming out as to what el paso is trying to get from Prez Obama like all the other cities and states in America are getting.

EP wants money anywhere from 200 million to 5 billion dollars for new bridge's between el paso and juarez, money for colonias, retrofitting public buildings for energy efficiency, new mass transit building, money for the new Hospital at Ft. Bliss and even paying for the 85 million dollar storm fee that el pasoans dislike and many many more as you'll have to read about it.

As I read this in utter amazement as to how this is unfolding before our eyes, I am disgusted with the entitlement, and money grab attitudes of all cities doing this. Like pigs on a trough.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM

270 posts, read 624,452 times
Hook, this is a tough one, on one hand we could use the grants, we can sit and watch everyone else get theirs, but you are right, grants are not free money as some believe. Grants come from our taxes. So it can be a double edged sword.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,198,225 times
THIS IS WHAT I FOUND ON THE EL PASO TIMES

Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,216,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Hook, this is a tough one, on one hand we could use the grants, we can sit and watch everyone else get theirs, but you are right, grants are not free money as some believe. Grants come from our taxes. So it can be a double edged sword.
I don't agree at all with this New Deal thing, however, if it had to happen, I would not mind seeing cities get infrastructure that is new, and needed, but repairing old things that the city was responsible for to begin with, and to burden someone thousands of miles away for it when they will get absolutely no use out of it whatsoever, that is what I see as wrong. The taxpayer in Maine should not pay for repairs to El Paso's infractructure, its ridiculous.

People taking advantage is what I see. I am reminded of the looting in LA, New Orleans and even New York during the last blackout. It's just disgusting, really.

Where do people think the money is coming from? Last I checked, the money tree was still just a fantasy. I am going to pay for this; I don't care what anyone else thinks, and I don't mean that offensively, I am concerned about what is going to happen to my taxes which are high to begin with.

My wife and I save every penny, we don't buy much in the way of toys, gadgets, etc., but what we do buy is of high quality. We pay for our own children's private tuition for school, and we don't get breaks from the government. I still have to pay school taxes at the full rate when I am paying 100% for my children's private education.

My wife called me this morning (probably why the sour note on my part), and said she received the tax form from the school, and we dished out 23K (twenty three thousand dollars) for 2008, and all I can deduct is $300 per child. Then to see how everybody wants the government to take care of everything, at my expense? That is a NO in my book. When I say "my expense", I mean that collectively, of all the hard working, tax paying citizens.

What does El Paso want? Let's see:

A new bridge to Mexico.
Doesn't El Paso have three already? Is Juarez a tourist destination now? How much is Mexico going to chip in for the bridge?

Bring water to Colonias.
Are those shanty towns even legal? Who authorized them, who lives in them? Who planned the infrastructure for them?

Build a new hospital on base, improve post.
This I am okay with, it is a federal issue really, but the military is an exception to me, and I support it 100%.

Retrofit Buildings, lights Heating/AC.
Who owns the buildings? Who oversaw their construction? Why should Joe Taxpayer have to pay for shoddy work, or bad construction?

Storm water project.
WTF? Who initiated this tax? Tax relief... "relieve taxpayers of some of the anticipated fees"? Really? Why burden the rest of the country with a tax your leaders implemented? Who built the infrastructure to begin with that did not take flooding into account? Who's responsible?

Welfare. Period. This is the mentality of the politicians of El Paso. Am I the only one who thinks people and cities should be responsible for their own being?

I'm tired of being taxed, this is not free money, yet Mr. Rodriguez goes on to say 'we can't let Houston or Dallas get this money'. WTF? What money is he talking about here. Oh yes, my wallet. 'Sorry.

The sad part of all about that article is that your very own mayor Cook said "El Paso hasn't felt the same negative impacts as the rest of the nation", and yet he has both his hands held out.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 01-22-2009 at 12:28 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Hook, you make a strong case and a lot of common sense. It's what I have been trying to get across to people. Smart growth. Nothing is free especially the grants or the infamous Cert of Obligations.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,117,872 times
I sometimes get backed into defending Mexico on this forum but I am definitely an "American first" kind of guy. That being said, the last time the U.S and Mexico built a bridge in this area, the Mexican side of the bridge was completely far before the U.S. side.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:36 PM

Mista, I wasnt living here then, was there a reason why it was done that way? I agree with you, take care of home first and then....

Old 01-22-2009, 04:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,117,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luplor View Post
Mista, I wasnt living here then, was there a reason why it was done that way? I agree with you, take care of home first and then....
I wish I had all the small details on that. It was around 10 years ago or so - give or take a year.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:42 PM

556 posts, read 1,558,378 times
Debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso